best warm fun headphones sub £400
Apr 21, 2015 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

oAmadeuso

100+ Head-Fier
Don't know the right terms but I've got £400 and want warm honey poured into each ear.

Music tastes
Tom waits
Blur
Beck
Katzenjammer
Paul Weller

Churs!

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 22
The Bose QuietComfort 15 (QC15) is still the most fun and exciting headphone I've heard, even after hearing high-end stuff. Although it is warm in the sense that there is boosted bass, there is also boosted treble, so there is sibilance to deal with. Aftermarket headphone cables dramatically increase its sound quality and tame the sibilance. I used the V-MODA Audio Only Cable with it.

Apr 21, 2015 at 3:55 PM Post #4 of 22
Do you want open or closed phones, in-ears ?

What source are you using?

Sorry should have mentioned...
Over ear and using Flac on a x1 DAC and E11K amp. Open or closed, no preference.

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #5 of 22
The Bose QuietComfort 15 (QC15) is still the most fun and exciting headphone I've heard, even after hearing high-end stuff. Although it is warm in the sense that there is boosted bass, there is also boosted treble, so there is sibilance to deal with. Aftermarket headphone cables dramatically increase its sound quality and tame the sibilance. I used the V-MODA Audio Only Cable with it.
cheers, I'll check that out.

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 22
cheers, I'll check that out.

If you end up getting it and that cable, you can wrap some toilet paper around the connector shell to hold the cable in place. It's worth the trouble, because it sounds a lot better than the stock cables, yet only costs twelve bucks. (Except the right-left channels are switched due to the active circuitry of the headphones.) I would also recommend looking on eBay, since the QC15 can be found for under $100 instead of the $300 it originally sold at.

Apr 21, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 22
There’s a lot of good phones in your price range:-

Sennheiser HD600  £205.99
Sennheiser HD650  £250.00
B&W Series 5 P2  £246.00

etc, etc, etc

I would advise you to do your research and to audition some, or ,do your research pick a few that 'tickle your pickle' and then seek advice. Higher end headphones may need a better amp than an E11K (though I love it). I honestly think you need to audition some to set a jumping off point. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #8 of 22

Sennheiser HD600  £205.99
Sennheiser HD650  £250.00
B&W Series 5 P2  £246.00

etc, etc, etc

I would advise you to do your research and to audition some, or ,do your research pick a few that 'tickle your pickle' and then seek advice. Higher end headphones may need a better amp than an E11K (though I love it). I honestly think you need to audition some to set a jumping off point. 

Sorry for the late reply, real life getting in the way.

Been looking at the HD650's.
Had Sennheisers before and really liked them.

Might have to see if Richer Sounds can audition then for me.

Jul 21, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #9 of 22

Sennheiser HD600 £205.99
Sennheiser HD650 £250.00
B&W Series 5 P2 £246.00

etc, etc, etc

I would advise you to do your research and to audition some, or ,do your research pick a few that 'tickle your pickle' and then seek advice. Higher end headphones may need a better amp than an E11K (though I love it). I honestly think you need to audition some to set a jumping off point.
isn't the bass suck?

Jul 21, 2023 at 9:24 AM Post #14 of 22
Depends on what bass you want, Amiron has lots more and warmer bass than dt900proX. dt900proX is more lean and dry than Amiron.
can you suggest me another headphone??..... because somehow in my country the price is 800 usd.... i dont know why but this happen also the same with focal elegia.... where amazon offer only 400 usd and every store in my country offer 1000 usd for it ...... when i try to bought it from amazon it said that it is not able to send it to my country

Users who are viewing this thread

Back