Best version of Superlux HD-681
Mar 13, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #16 of 27
  http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Replacement-Ear-Pads-Earpads-Cushion-for-SUPERLUX-HD668B-HD669-HD-668B-669-hd668-Pro-Studio-Headphones/111495_1201526766.html zdarma Shipping

Thanks for the link but arent those just the replacement pads? So the same stock ones that are on the headphones?

You can buy both the Superluxes and the pads from Thomann. That will reduce the cost of shipping (i think I sort of hinted at this option in a previous message).
Thomann has the lowest price on the 681's anyway, so in total the difference is not going to be as big as purchased from a local dealer.
In my country the 681's alone cost between 7 to 12 euro more compared to thomann. The pads, somewhat the same.
None of the dealers are in my city so there's a shipping charge on top of that too.
That is why I made all my purchases of Superlux (and various pads) straight from Thomann.

In terms of insulation, neither the 681 nor the 668B insulate much. They do attenuate some of the ambient noise, but not nearly as good as a closed headphone.
For me personally that's not a problem, as I 'm not a fan of closed designs, due to their sound qualities and signature. Your millage may vary.

As far as filters are concerned, you don't need to dissemble the headphone. The filter can be built and used separately , as an interface between the headphone and the music source.
So you have that option. It is of course much easier with a software EQ.

With the 662 I have no experience. They probably don't match the 681 or 668B in sound quality and they also cost more.
The AKG pads are a must for any of these Superluxes, so 662 will probably end up both more expensive and to whatever extent inferior in sound quality.

Another option would be the new 681 EVO, which come with 2 sets of pads, pleather and velour. In that sense they offer perhaps the best value of all Superluxes.
They also have a more friendly tonality, as the treble energy is greatly reduced. They actually sound rather dark, compared to the other Superluxes.
Personally I don't think the EVO's quite match the original 681 sound quality, but they're not far off either.

Yeah I understand that, but the headphones are just 2€ cheaper than in my local store, The pads cost 17€, I could have another headphones just for the price of the pads, and lets not forget the shipping.

So 20 (HD681) + 17 (pads) + 15 (shipping) = 52€!! whereas in my local shop I would just pay 22€ for the headphones themselves, no shipping costs. Dont take me wrong, even for 52€ I probably wouldnt get a better sound than these Superluxes, but just out of principle that its not a good deal.

Yeah, hopefully it wont be too noisy and disruptive for my siblings in the room.

Well the external filter would be a better choice, did you build it too? Is it hard?

So which pads fit the 681? Only the AKG 240? I just searched on ebay, I found some for 10€ including shipping, which would be a better deal than 32€ from tomman, I would probably have to wait a little longer but that doesnt matter.

As for the EVO, I would prefer a better sound quality than the pads quality, in worst case scenario I will just replace the stock pads with the ones from AKGs and that will have to do.

Mar 13, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #17 of 27
Any K240/271 style pads will fit the 681s. There are a few OEM manufactured velour pads, some even advertised specifically for superlux/samson.
Also some Beyerdynamic style pads would work, but the fit is a bit tighter. DT990 pro pads are probably the best fit amongst beyers.

As to the actual purchase, if you can buy them locally, it's obvious that's the best way to go.
Also it would be a good idea if you'd go to the shop and listen to the headphones yourself. No amount of "forum literature" is better than first hand experience. Also other people cannot make the choice for you :wink:

Mar 14, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #18 of 27
I found some pads for DT990 at ebay but the price is not much different from the pads for 240.

I contacted the shop and they told me, I would have to wait about 2 weeks for the headphones. If I could try them out somewhere and listen to both 681 and 668 that would be great, but I dont think thats possible. I will try to contact them but probably not. You know, they are all packed etc and I guess they wont just open them for me to try and potentially buy some :D Thats why I'm trying to choose thebest. So I then dont have to return them and buy another one, and then return them again if I would like the first one more :) They probably wouldnt like that.

So thats why Im asking so many questions, sorry for that :) But I see that you know your stuff so I was trying to get as much info as possible :)

Jul 20, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #24 of 27
Thanks again. Based on the genres Rock, Indie, Pop, Jazz, [COLOR=222222]occasionally [/COLOR]DNB or R&B kind of style, and stuff like this, which would you choose? Btw do you have these superlux too?

I have most of the SL family 681, 681B, 681F, 662F, 662B, 668B, HD7.

I would pick the 681 original or the ProSonus Blue Ring HD7 which is an OEM clone of the 681 Null Red / Burgundy Ring/

Red ring was original production first year, Burgundy was 2nd run and later after first year or two.

These are a great bargain, and in Asia they are absurdly cheap, €11 to €14 shipping included.

Jun 4, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #25 of 27
I have most of the SL family 681, 681B, 681F, 662F, 662B, 668B, HD7.

I would pick the 681 original or the ProSonus Blue Ring HD7 which is an OEM clone of the 681 Null Red / Burgundy Ring/

Red ring was original production first year, Burgundy was 2nd run and later after first year or two.

These are a great bargain, and in Asia they are absurdly cheap, €11 to €14 shipping included.
Do you still feel that way? The 681 SL are better than the 668B SL?

Jun 15, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #26 of 27
Do you still feel that way? The 681 SL are better than the 668B SL?

Yes but I like soundstage over bass.

668b are better on bass at sacrifice of some (not much) of the soundstage.

Both are still excellent bargains.

Apr 17, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #27 of 27
Yes but I like soundstage over bass.

668b are better on bass at sacrifice of some (not much) of the soundstage.

Both are still excellent bargains.

Rocksteady,

Yes and so much so I am buying a new pair.

I miss my headphones I had back in 2014.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back