Best value
May 23, 2022 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 13
Do you mean total budget for a single headphone, dac, amp, cabling, etc. assuming source is taken care of?

May 23, 2022 at 6:15 PM Post #4 of 13
Oh iems... well that's different and I can't speak to the "optimal" price point.

May 23, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #5 of 13
Well THAT was fun! :darthsmile:

May 23, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 13
I appreciate that but , could you tell me if the reason is that the iems are "not your thing" or do you consider "optimal" is a stretchy term (different ears - different cary about SQ - ... etc) or even non-existing term ?
I've heard iems from $20-4000, and I still generally prefer headphones over 'most' iems. There are some exceptions, some iems that I find really enjoyable at different price points. The Moondrop Chu is incredible for $20, the Timeless for $200. Beyond that, the Monarch MkII, EE Odin, UM Mest, U18S. But they're all personal preference.

Personally, I'm happy with a $200 iem and $2000 headphone--some people would do it the other way around.

May 23, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #9 of 13
I've heard iems from $20-4000, and I still generally prefer headphones over 'most' iems. There are some exceptions, some iems that I find really enjoyable at different price points. The Moondrop Chu is incredible for $20, the Timeless for $200. Beyond that, the Monarch MkII, EE Odin, UM Mest, U18S. But they're all personal preference.

Personally, I'm happy with a $200 iem and $2000 headphone--some people would do it the other way around.
Yeah that is a respectable point of view but, could you define what makes you prefer headphones or it is non describable for you ?
If the budget is only 200$, will you still prefer 200$ headphones to 200$ iem ?

May 23, 2022 at 7:13 PM Post #10 of 13
Yeah that is a respectable point of view but, could you define what makes you prefer headphones or it is non describable for you ?
If the budget is only 200$, will you still prefer 200$ headphones to 200$ iem ?
Part of it is comfort--some iems cause fatigue for me, like the Blessing 2. I also usually prefer the bass and soundstage on headphones, although some iems do it well. So it's just a huge generalization.

For any budget, it would be totally dependent on which iem vs which headphone. I'd start with what kind of music you listen to and then which iem or headphone does that to your taste.

May 23, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #11 of 13
Part of it is comfort--some iems cause fatigue for me, like the Blessing 2. I also usually prefer the bass and soundstage on headphones, although some iems do it well. So it's just a huge generalization.

For any budget, it would be totally dependent on which iem vs which headphone. I'd start with what kind of music you listen to and then which iem or headphone does that to your taste.
I've got you really well, thanks for informative replies.

May 26, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #13 of 13
the best value are obviously those free earbuds that come with some other device (like a phone ^^) - other than that there are earbuds for like 50 cents to be imported directly from china ... after that value for sound quality just goes down ... with 1000+$ stuff obviously being worst at it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back