Best value $150-200 max DIY SS amp?
Feb 9, 2011 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ikarios

1000+ Head-Fier
So lately I've been looking into getting a solid-state complement to my SSMH, which has its share of quirks, especially with low-impedance headphones (Grados, portables, etc). I've been searching around this forum and I've found a few options, although there doesn't seem to be any consensus on what's best.

I don't particularly believe I can hear amplifier differences, so I don't want to stretch the budget too much. I'd like it to stay under $150 all-inclusive, but I know that's difficult to do, so $200 is my absolute max. I'm okay with hammond cases
wink.gif
I'd like to stick to something that has a PCB; working with P2P on my SSMH was a big pain and I don't want to have to spend that kind of time again.

I've never worked with power supplies/transformers before, so I'd like something that isn't too difficult to power up. I think I'd want something with more current output, as I plan to be using this with low-impedance headphones.

So far my search for possible candidates has given me:
CKKIII
PPAv2
Pimeta
Dynalo
Lovely Cube (semi-DIY)
and... that's about it.

I'd love to swing an M^3 (I've been interested in them ever since I got into Head-Fi) but I can't swing that kind of budget for what's supposed to be a secondary amplifier anyway. Maybe down the road I'll get around to building one...

So basically that's about it. Any ideas or relevant comparisons between two amplifiers? Thanks in advance!

Feb 9, 2011 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 4
Well, all of those listed are nice amps and I've built all except the Cube.

M^3 and PPAv2 are similarly priced, single-rail power supply required.

Parts availability for the Dynalo is going to be a little hard, dual-rail psu required.

The CKK-II is quite an easy build and sounds good.  PSU on PCB, just wire a transformer.

Pimeta, now the PimetaV2 is a nice amp that can be either portable or stationary.  Likely the cheapest to build.  For stationary, single-rail PSU required.

Feb 9, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #3 of 4
I don't mean to hijack, but I'm looking to build something similar, and I was wondering if the AD8610 was a good opamp for grado's & other easier to drive headphones in the Pimeta? I am assuming one would need a single op-amp for the ground line and a dual op-amp for the l/r channels. Is it wrong to assume (by the specs) that an input voltage of 9v would be quite sufficient? Again I don't want to thread-jack but I figured I might as well toss this question in here since it could apply to both myself and the OP

/bitmaps/dot-clear.gif Cost, single: $8.00 (AD8610) /bitmaps/dot-clear.gif Vmin, 0.5V into 33 Ω: 5.7V
  Cost, dual: $13.33 (AD8620)   Vmin, 2.0V into 330 Ω: 7.6V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back