Best used CD player for $100
Sep 20, 2004 at 1:59 AM Post #16 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimSchirmer
look for an old kyocera or kinergetics cdp

Two Kyocera's

Kyocera DA-510cx CD Player w/Remote, DA510CX DA51
$85 buy it now, $9.99 starting bid

KYOCERA DA-310CX Vintage Single Disc CD Player NICE!
$50 buy it now
wink.gif

KYOCERA CD PLAYER DA-610 HIGH END AUDIO LIKE NEW
$9.99 starting bid

Sep 20, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #17 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kfh227
I have considered a DVD player and would go wtih one if the price was right. I'm only sconcerned with Red-Book though.

Karl

PS: THere is a Marantz CD-48 with a simply horrible descrioption. I might try grabbing it. Seller has incredbile feedback, so I'm assuming it's working. It's only $10 right now with 9 minutes to go. I think it's worth the gamble. If I don't get it, a CD63-SE is up. Currently at $60 though.

And I miss the CD-48. WEnt for $10.50
frown.gif
DOH!

Sep 20, 2004 at 2:48 AM Post #18 of 36
Do some research on the Denon DCD-1500. Although an older player, this one originally sold for $600 in 1987 and is well built and very full featured. The headphone output has enough power to drive most headphones, it is rated to deliver 70milliwatts @32 ohms.

If you are patient, you should be able to find one for $75 or even less, but if you decide to get one be sure it includes the remote as this remote can control all of the functions of the player including the volume.

The sound of the DCD-1500 is competitive with any new player costing up to perhaps $400. For a single disk home player, the dimensions of the DCD-1500 is on the large side. The bass response is excellent, and overall the DCD-1500 offers very smooth and analog-like sound. The one area where the Denon shows it's age is in the transparency of the highest frequencies where it is not up the level of performance of today's better chipsets.

Sep 20, 2004 at 3:46 AM Post #19 of 36
I am considering Denon. It seems easier to find Marantz players though. But I did run accross the Denon DCD-1520:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

I'm assuming this is eaither a newer model by year or sthe same thing you mentioned with some sort of extra features(s)

Since the drawer on the EBay item sticks a bit, I might be able to get a deal on it.

Actually, I jsut looked moer closely at the images. The volume control is a nobby on the 1520, so the remote is not required. I did inquire about it.

Also considering ohter "better" brands. Bascially the likes of carver, harmon-kardon, etc. If soemthing pops up for $20, so be it. I'm still kciking myself over the Missed Marantz for $10.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmelt
Do some research on the Denon DCD-1500. Although an older player, this one originally sold for $600 in 1987 and is well built and very full featured. The headphone output has enough power to drive most headphones, it is rated to deliver 70milliwatts @32 ohms.

If you are patient, you should be able to find one for $75 or even less, but if you decide to get one be sure it includes the remote as this remote can control all of the functions of the player including the volume.

The sound of the DCD-1500 is competitive with any new player costing up to perhaps $400. For a single disk home player, the dimensions of the DCD-1500 is on the large side. The bass response is excellent, and overall the DCD-1500 offers very smooth and analog-like sound. The one area where the Denon shows it's age is in the transparency of the highest frequencies where it is not up the level of performance of today's better chipsets.

Sep 20, 2004 at 3:50 AM Post #20 of 36
Denon DCD-1800

Sounds like it is as good as new. Anything better than the 1500 about this one in terms of sound quality?

Sep 20, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #21 of 36
The DCD-1520 replaced the DCD-1500. I cannot attest to the build quality or sound quality of the 1520, only the 1500. The knob on the front would control the headphone volume, but not the output level from the variable output on the rear RCA jacks. If the 1520 is is like the 1500, it has both fixed and variable outputs, but to control the variable outputs you need to use the remote.

The 1500 has a digital output port, but being one of the first players to offer this feature, it uses a non-standard connector. I believe the 1520 may have a more standard output port, important if you ever want to use an external D/A converter.

The 1800 was Denon's earlier, top of the line, CD player. The DCD-1800R is contemporary with the DCD-1500 and has similar if not identical features, slightly better specifications, and a larger power supply. The power supply of the 1800R actually extends the rear panel of the player a few inches, making it a bit deeper than the 1500. Both the 1800 and 1800R are less common than the 1500 or 1520. There is also a model 1500 II, this model may have the optical digital output port.

IMHO, I would pass on the 1800 as it is a 1st generation player. I would also pass on any player where the mechanism was not operating properly, unless you are willing to repair the unit or pay someone to do it. The stuck drawer is probably a slipping belt, but could be the motor that drives this mechanism. I'd pass on this one.

Another series to consider are the Magnavox single disk CD players (made by Phillips) that feature Dual 16 bit converter technology. The model 482 is fairly common and inexpensive and sounds very good, similar to the Denon although the Denon put out more bass.

Sep 20, 2004 at 2:53 PM Post #22 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mkmelt
The DCD-1520 replaced the DCD-1500. I cannot attest to the build quality or sound quality of the 1520, only the 1500. The knob on the front would control the headphone volume, but not the output level from the variable output on the rear RCA jacks. If the 1520 is is like the 1500, it has both fixed and variable outputs, but to control the variable outputs you need to use the remote.

The 1500 has a digital output port, but being one of the first players to offer this feature, it uses a non-standard connector. I believe the 1520 may have a more standard output port, important if you ever want to use an external D/A converter.

The 1800 was Denon's earlier, top of the line, CD player. The DCD-1800R is contemporary with the DCD-1500 and has similar if not identical features, slightly better specifications, and a larger power supply. The power supply of the 1800R actually extends the rear panel of the player a few inches, making it a bit deeper than the 1500. Both the 1800 and 1800R are less common than the 1500 or 1520. There is also a model 1500 II, this model may have the optical digital output port.

IMHO, I would pass on the 1800 as it is a 1st generation player. I would also pass on any player where the mechanism was not operating properly, unless you are willing to repair the unit or pay someone to do it. The stuck drawer is probably a slipping belt, but could be the motor that drives this mechanism. I'd pass on this one.

Another series to consider are the Magnavox single disk CD players (made by Phillips) that feature Dual 16 bit converter technology. The model 482 is fairly common and inexpensive and sounds very good, similar to the Denon although the Denon put out more bass.

WOW! You answered all my questions. EXCELENT POST! I wish I could come up with some more questions
wink.gif
I might try getting that 1800 on the cheap even though it's first gen. That 1520 looks VERY attractive now though. I'll have to look at my EBay info to see when the auction ends and re-read the description to see if that model has issues (stuck drawer, etc).

Sep 20, 2004 at 3:23 PM Post #23 of 36
The older used Parasound and Rotels for $100.00 still sound pretty good.

Sep 20, 2004 at 3:24 PM Post #24 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
The older used Parasound and Rotels for $100.00 still sound pretty good.

I've been looking for Rotels also. MIght have to add Parasound to the list.

Sep 21, 2004 at 7:17 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kfh227
$9.99 starting bid

Does anyone know what I should expect a fair one of these to go for?

3 days left. It has several bids, but it's not outrageous yet.

Sep 24, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #26 of 36
I just received Toshiba 3960 that I ordered 2 days ago from Amazon.

I am now trying with a small Amp and HD497.

I must say that it is really good, esp. for such price.

I sound is so clean, nice treble and midtone, a little weak in bass, but I am not sure whether is is beause my earphone or amp.

Oct 1, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #29 of 36
FINALLY

Bought the KYOCERA DA-310CX CD PLAYER at Ebay for $17.49.

Might not be the best CD player ever but for hte price, if it doesn't work out that great, I'll just sell it
wink.gif
The seller said it works great, so I bought it.

The one thing I noticed during my weeks at EBay. If cosmetics arn't a big issue, you can get QUITE THE DEAL! This one had a bad description and poor quality pics and the descriptuion said it had some scratches.

It has a headphone jack, so I'm happy with that. MIght take an old pioneer receiver to work and make a mini-system so I can listen to the radio.

THANKS ALL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back