Best "USB DAC" or "AMP only" under $500 for my Galaxy Tab and my Ultrasone PRO 900
Apr 2, 2011 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

STAXXER

New Head-Fier
hello , i need help to spend my money in the best way to buy my first audiophile portable amp USB DAC to use with my Galaxy Tab and my Ultrasone PRO 900.

honestly i'm thinking also to buy a portable amp without USB DAC and use it by the line out cable and spend the same money for a better product.

I want something that really improve my sound quality and remember me  that i spent my money in the best device.

Thank you everybody !!!

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 13
here is some options I found:

- Ray Samuels SR 71A   $450 plus shipping
- Hot Audio RM-1 Digital volume headphone amplifier / Thunderbolt DV 1  $199 free shipping

-----_--

Apr 4, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 13
ibasso line? D6 D12 or D4

Apr 5, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 13
i'm focusing on the hand made Hot Audio amp RM-1 modified to sound better with my very sensitive Ultrasone. The price would be perfect for me, did you guys experienced this product?    modified to 

Apr 5, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #7 of 13
I haven't heard that specific amp by HotAudio, but his stuff in general is very good and I've been impressed with how they sound. Dave (HotAudio) is very passionate and comes off a bit quirky, but there's no denying he makes some great sounding gear. He is also open to offers on his gear if you email him.

Apr 17, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #10 of 13

In what way can an analog headphone amplifier improve the sound from an analog headphone jack? The quality of the signal is already set by the Galaxy Tab's DAC. I can understand buying an analog headphone amplifier if you lack an headphone jack.

Can anyone explain this?

STAXXER, do you lack an headphone jack on your amplifier and intend to use it there as well?

In my world. To improve the sound quality you need to send the signal (bypass it) though a better DAC than the on board Galaxy TAB's DAC. Maybe you already own an separate DAC and intend to do just this?

Best regards,
NilsOscar

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #11 of 13
An external amp can give you higher levels and more power than the built-in headphone amp. It also draws from its own power supply/battery, conserving the battery on your source.

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM Post #12 of 13
All believable points. Didn't think of that. Thanks.

However, has anyone succeed in connecting an USB DAC Headphone amplifier to the Galaxy TAB? I'm interested how that is done. The TAB missing USB ports and all.

Apr 17, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #13 of 13
I don't know much about the Galaxy TAB. Does it have a dock connector to let you use usb devices? I know the ipad has something like that; there's an entire thread devoted to what dacs can work with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back