Best upgrade from SR60's?
May 27, 2009 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

odalanizi

New Head-Fier
Hey Folks,

I've used crappy headphones most of me life -- until I decided to take the venture into the Audiophile headphone world. SR60 are the first and only ones I have right now, and I want to recreate the 'wow' factor that I experienced when I first upgraded from no-name crap to SR60.

What is the best upgrade with a NOTICEABLE difference in sound quality?

also, comfort is a factor. I wear them hours on end.

price limit = under 350 $

May 27, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 16
Can you stretch that to $429?
evil_smiley.gif

The Grado HF-2 will be unveiled on Saturday - it might be the headphone you're looking for. You should find some impressions and comparisons to the SR-60 that night.

If not, I'd recommend listening to the SR-60 for a few more months while you put together about $500 for a used RS-1. They are worth it, you will get the "wow" factor again, and a RS-1 will cure your upgraditis. The other high end Grados don't sound like the RS-1; it is the best you can get with the same "house sound" as the SR-60.

May 27, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #4 of 16
Well, I went from noname crap to the SR-80's, which was quite a revelation. Now I've had the RS-1's for some weeks and while there's a difference it just isn't as huge as the first step from junk to SR-80. So for me the "wow-feeling" wasn't instant. But! After a few weeks of usage the RS-1's impressed more and more. I guess it could be a matter of burn-in or some psychological effect. If they were in par with the SR-80s when I first got them I feel they've gone far beyond them now. But still; no, while there's a fairly noticable difference it just isn't as huge as the first.

I'm still waiting for my PS-1000s to arrive... I wonder if they'll surprise more. The pricetag and the presence alone ought to provide a certain placebo effect.
wink.gif

May 27, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Death /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I went from noname crap to the SR-80's, which was quite a revelation. Now I've had the RS-1's for some weeks and while there's a difference it just isn't as huge as the first step from junk to SR-80. So for me the "wow-feeling" wasn't instant. But! After a few weeks of usage the RS-1's impressed more and more. I guess it could be a matter of burn-in or some psychological effect. If they were in par with the SR-80s when I first got them I feel they've gone far beyond them now. But still; no, while there's a fairly noticable difference it just isn't as huge as the first.

I'm still waiting for my PS-1000s to arrive... I wonder if they'll surprise more. The pricetag and the presence alone ought to provide a certain placebo effect.
wink.gif

this was my experience as well, from crap->sr80->sr325->rs1. biggest improvement moving to the sr80, not so much moving to the sr325, but like the improvement up to the rs1, possibly because it's paired with good amps.

not knowing how the hf2 sounds, i will follow uncle erik and say that a move to the hf2 might be a good buy. stretch that budget just a little, and you might be very pleased.

May 27, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 16
MS-1 is slightly noticeable, SR-225 more noticeable, RS series you will get the "wow" factor once again. Unfortunately the cheapest RS is $500 (less $ used).

May 28, 2009 at 6:07 AM Post #10 of 16
I recommend trying a variety of different headphones. There are so many out there! Maybe you discover the DT48 is your dream sound signature, or that you love the bass boom of the DT770 or the fast response of the SA5000, or massive soundstage of the K701. Never know, maybe the K501 is the gem or the AD700 or just the good old HD595 is the perfect match.

Broaden your scope and figure out how you can audition and try some headphones and then make your decision.

Have fun in your search!

May 28, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #12 of 16
Perhaps you could share with us what other stuff you like/dislike about the SR60? If you are looking for something similar with an upgrade in comfort you might want to consider the open back Audio Technicas.

May 28, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #13 of 16
Thanks for the tips everyone!

@Scy: well I like the SR60's "wow factor" like I said... and I like how comfortable they are now that I have them worn in.

are used headphones any good? I mean sure they're probably past the burn-in... but is it worthwhile to spend 300 + on used headphones? and where would I purchase them? I don't trust amazon or ebay...

"WOW FACTOR, WHERE ARE YOU"

May 28, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #14 of 16
used headphones are great, and it is definitely worthwhile to spend 300+ on them. buy them from our very own Head-Fi trading pages!
smily_headphones1.gif
i've purchased K1000's and Edition 9's from other members here, all came quickly, tracked, and perfectly as described - and you better believe they cost more than 300
wink.gif

however, even ebay isnt necessarily a bad place to start, so long as you take the usual precautions.

May 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM Post #15 of 16
About 4 weeks ago I wanted to find an upgrade to my Grados (sr60s) as well - went into a local shop and spent an hour going back and forth between 225i's and 325is'. I figured 225s would be the way to go based on opinions I got from other head-fiers - but it ended up the exact opposite. I didn't hear the huge jump up from 60s to 225s (although I acknowledge they were an improvement) - however I did get that jump I was looking for with the 325is' without a doubt. Certainly its a matter of preference and it would be best to try and hear in advance of a purchase - some people say the 325s are too harsh and the 225s just right - I didn't find that to be the case. Can't comment on the RS-1s etc. but for under $300 I think the 325is is a fantastic choice. I 2nd the call for a quality DAC/Amp - just bought the iBasso d10 and think I've found a match made in heaven (and that was $299 delivered).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back