Best upgrade for G4ME Zero's
Jan 25, 2018 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Newtothis142

New Head-Fier
I got my game zero used and it is the old version. It runs fine but the back that isn't supposed to be disconnected is getting loose. I believe it's time to join the audiophile world and want some good headphones for gaming and casual listening. I probably am gonna get aassdrop minimum but don't know which headphones to get. I'm looking for headphone in the sub 250$ range. I have an Asus xonar dgx. I know that I should upgrade from it. Maybe some headphone and amp/dac combos please?

Jan 25, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 14
There are several ways you could go. Some people are going to recommend that you spend your entire budget on headphones at this price-point. If you did that, I would recommend probably an HE-400S, which really has minimal amplification requirements and can be driven straight out of a DAP or computer pretty darn well. You would not need an amp, is the point. It is a bit over budget, though ($300). It is an excellent headphone at the price. If you didn't want to go that route, you might look at an HD598. It also does not require an amp. Has an excellent soundstage for your gaming needs. If you still wanted to add a DAC/amp you could look at something like the Schiit Fulla 2 and still be within budget. One other headphone you might consider is an SHP9500, which sounds terrific and is well made. Usually a bit more affordable. Lastly, I would recommend an AKG, but you would be way over budget and a good amp is absolutely required.

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #6 of 14
Can't I use one of the massdrop options? would they be more bang for the buck?[/QUI personally like the HE4xx

Of course! Of those on Massdrop, I personally like the HE4XX and the HD6XX--both are terrific values for the dollar. You will need an amp for the HD6XX (not required for the HiFiMAN). There is also the very good K7XX, (bigger stage--might matter to you) which also requires an amp. Depending on which one you choose, you will have differing amounts of money left over for an amp. You will need a solid amp for the AKG and the Senn. One affordable option would be a Magni 3. It would work for you. Some thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back