Best unamped for $300?
Feb 9, 2013 at 10:47 PM Post #16 of 27
There will always be a defective pair out there that gives someone a bad experience, or that one hipster who just has to speak out in hatred of a product because everyone else likes it.

You had me right until you said this. I don't think it's fair at all to just dismiss someone else's negative opinion like that. That's attribution error

I'm one of the very few people who seem to love the AKG K167. Does that make me a hipster, or does that mean everyone else got defective units? No, and to think so would only be self-serving.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

You had me right until you said this. I don't think it's fair at all to just dismiss someone else's negative opinion like that. That's attribution error

I'm one of the very few people who seem to love the AKG K167. Does that make me a hipster, or does that mean everyone else got defective units? No, and to think so would only be self-serving.

I was speaking more to the people who dislike something for the sole reason of its popularity.  Perhaps the blanket "hipster" statement was unwarranted, but I don't think you can deny the existence of such people, even on these boards.

Feb 9, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #18 of 27
I do not like the AKG K167, do not buy! Listening to them now, since my DT880's are away, I'm very sad.

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:16 PM Post #19 of 27
Update:

I just ordered the Momentums. 

I gave them another listen today, and spent a few minutes adjusting them properly to my head and was able to get a very comfortable fit. I can't tell for sure if they completely surround my ears, but they are so light and soft I did not experience any discomfort when properly adjusted. 

I find the ear cups on the RX700 slightly more comfortable simply because they are huge. While the RX700 has a very comfortable headband, I couldn't even feel the Momentum's headband due to its light weight. I also find the Momentum more comfortable than my Citiscape Uptowns, which have larger earcups, but significantly more clamp and stiffer pads.

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #20 of 27
Oh come on, when spending $300, some miserable 30$ on FiiO E6 wouldn't hurt anything, would it?
You could actually buy some $150-200 cans, amp them and archieve better sound than with 300$ HP alone.

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #23 of 27
Quote:
Dt770 pro80 (they are not very demanding with amps) 

Yeah, no. Mine are nice amped, their stand out feature is the forward bass which gets odd unamped. I've seen too many reviews of people who said that blah... blah... cheap cans were better, they'd been listening from an iphone or such.

They sound good from my E10, hoping they sound a little better from the soon to arrive E17.
Quote:
I had the DT770-600, not great unamped, BUT a prety fine headphone in the price range, which makes me agree in principle with the above.  I might consider the 80 ohm version for unmapped (in fact I am considering them...).  If you are ok with used, they seem to show ip at fairly reasonable prices in the FS section.

Don't. Not worth the $$$ if unamped is a critical criteria

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #24 of 27
Portability.

E6 is so small and light that you can actually don't pay attention to it and think about it as a microphone or some volume controls on cord. 
biggrin.gif

BTW, just an stupid thought, but is it possible to AMP wireless HP's? 
dt880smile.png

Feb 12, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:
Portability.

E6 is so small and light that you can actually don't pay attention to it and think about it as a microphone or some volume controls on cord. 
biggrin.gif

BTW, just an stupid thought, but is it possible to AMP wireless HP's? 
dt880smile.png

Lets hope you never figure that out
wink.gif

Feb 16, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #27 of 27
I think you can add the GMP 8.35 as close, and the GMP 435 as open to this list, here is more info: http://www.head-fi.org/t/406658/the-german-maestro-gmp-8-35-d-monitor-in-the-studio-serious-about-audio-indeed/585
happy_face1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back