Best Unamped $250 or below Headphones (Classical, Rock, Acoustic)
Apr 28, 2012 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

parkjs94

New Head-Fier
Hey guys - pretty much a noob here. I've been reading a lot, and I know there are many threads on "best headphones for..." but there just seems to be so many possibilities, and the threads I run into do not completely answer my questions/needs.

The headphones I'm looking for must be good for symphonies and chamber/ensemble music (no vocals), as I am majoring in violin performance, and I frequently listen to classical. I also listen to a lot of acoustic, alternative, and rock (nothing heavy) on the side - no rap, r&b etc. 

I've been reading about amps, and they seem confusing so I won't be looking into that now...I just want some headphones that I can easily plug into my iphone 4, or my MacBook Pro and will sound good. The headphones will be used mainly at home, but I would like it if they are good for transportation since I'll use them outside of my house now and then as well. 

Once again, I'm looking for $250 or below.
If there's any other info I can give that might help, do let me know! And thanks ahead everyone!

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 5
Why closed when you like classical, acoustic...Open would be better. Is there an issue with needing to be quiet? Do you like bass or do you prefer a more neutral signature?

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd love to get open ones, but the only issue is that when I'm using them outside of my home, they'll primarily be used in flights and the library - quiet places. This is going to be a stupid question, but do opens leak a lot of sound? I just don't want to bother others because I know that stuff bothers me on flights and in the library. If not, then I'm definitely open minded to open headphones.
And not too much bass - neutral would be better.

Apr 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #4 of 5
The Ultrasone Pro900, B&W P5, V-Moda M80, Klipsch M40 are recommended and they don't need AMPs help to be sound good and loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back