best ultrasones for bass?
Feb 4, 2013 at 8:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ihatedogs

New Head-Fier
hey i have decided i will probably buy some ultrasone headphones, i dont consider myself a basshead but i do like bass and thump in some cans, i have narrowed it down to either the:

Ultrasone

HFI 780
PRO 550
HFI 2400
HFI 680
DJ1 PRO

I would be mainly listening to DNB, house, trance and just general songs on the radio and on the internet. i dont consider myself an "audiophile" but ever since i bought some HD555 2 years back and i would like to invest in some new cans since i have caught the bug :D.

i am siding with the HFI 2400 more because they are the most expensive option and have the best reviews but i am looking for some great headphones with good/great bass so which one of these options would have the best bass? not tuns of bass so it sounds like your underwater but enough to give it the wow factor

thanks

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 14
Do you want closed or open back, because all of those but the 2400 are closed. Generally closed back headphones have better bass. You might want to look at the pro 900 if you dont mind some bright highs with lots of midbass impact and decent extension. 
And for a few things that aren't ultrasone take a look at the V-Moda M100 and the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80. The M100 is very balanced with good bass. The dt770's have a very good soundstage for a closed can and have great sub bass extension, nice highs, and are very comfortable. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:
Do you want closed or open back, because all of those but the 2400 are closed. Generally closed back headphones have better bass. You might want to look at the pro 900 if you dont mind some bright highs with lots of midbass impact and decent extension. 
And for a few things that aren't ultrasone take a look at the V-Moda M100 and the beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80. The M100 is very balanced with good bass. The dt770's have a very good soundstage for a closed can and have great sub bass extension, nice highs, and are very comfortable. 

Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the m100 is £270 which is out of my budget and the same with the pro 900.

i could always consider the dt770 pro 80 how does the bass match to the ultrasone? and which of the ultrasound excluding the 2400 have the best overall bass?

Feb 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #7 of 14
It appears there is a troll in this thread.Anyways the 780 apparently have good bass (i haven't heard them) but the dt770 pro 80's have great extension in to the sub bass region with decent impact from mid bass (sub bass is the real bass 
beyersmile.png
biggrin.gif
). And they have nice sparkly energetic highs. And later (or now if you have the cash) you can add a small portable amp like a fiio e11 or e7, then you will get a really great sound out of them. This is true for most mid-fi and up headphones, if you amp them they sound better. The dt770's will dig nice and deep into the sub bass though on there own. I would suggest finding a place to demo these headphones, but if you can't then just do your research, and buy from a place with a good return policy. Happy hunting  

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #8 of 14
HFI-780 is a great candidate if you want bass/highs and overall clarity but they may sound metallic (unnatural) for some music. HFI-2400 is slightly warmer and has a more organic/meaty sound with better decay but they're slightly slower than the HFI-780 in PRaT.

Feb 4, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #9 of 14
Out of the cans listed, 550 Pros followed by HFI-580's.  Both do genres you describe very well, my 550's are my go to for electronica even over my Q40's and D2000' (both of which have better extension).

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:
It appears there is a troll in this thread.Anyways the 780 apparently have good bass (i haven't heard them) but the dt770 pro 80's have great extension in to the sub bass region with decent impact from mid bass (sub bass is the real bass 
beyersmile.png
biggrin.gif
). And they have nice sparkly energetic highs. And later (or now if you have the cash) you can add a small portable amp like a fiio e11 or e7, then you will get a really great sound out of them. This is true for most mid-fi and up headphones, if you amp them they sound better. The dt770's will dig nice and deep into the sub bass though on there own. I would suggest finding a place to demo these headphones, but if you can't then just do your research, and buy from a place with a good return policy. Happy hunting  

Same question! Does the DT 770 80 has any sibilance?

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by minhquancanon7d /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same question! Does the DT 770 80 has any sibilance?

The 770s have a treble spike so there's potential for sibilance. That said, the Ultrasones can be pretty bright too.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #12 of 14
Hey i bought the pro 550 yesterday they were at a good price on amazon. im hoping i made the right choice im having second thoughts on the hfi 580 because they have had VERY good reviews on them but im not that much of a basshead i just want some "umpth" in some DNB songs.

do you think it would be worth investing in an amp as well? it doesnt need to be portable and i am willing to spend between £50-100 :)

thanks

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #13 of 14
I know the astro MixAmps have the capability to go up to 7.1 surround sound. Maybe you should invest in one of them to go with your headphones. It will be like peas and apples in a pod.

-Horf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back