Best "ultimate" headphones for rock/heavy metal
Aug 3, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #31 of 47
Yes its sad that the L3000 were around $2500 max a year ago and now topple over $3500. I just cant justify that when I could have PS1000 and D7000 and HD800 for that price.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #33 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by corentin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey there.

I am ready to take the plunge for a so called "ultimate" piece of headphones : Senn HD800, Denon D7000, Grado GS/PS1000, AKG K701...
Unfortunately, in my region, there ain't no possibility to listen to any of these.

So, I am turning to my fellow Headfiers for advice. In your opinion, which is the best when it comes to hard rock/heavy metal music? I agon be running these cans through a Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard famed for its very musical DACs and dedicated headphone output.
I might as well add that I will not be modifying this setup, so no external amps and/or DACs hoeer better this solution might be. Therefore, your choice has to factor this in.
Also, I don't like sound when it's overly harsh or bright.

Thanks in advance for your input
darthsmile.gif

After spending some time with all top headphones (except the PS1000), I just keep coming back to the Grado RS1s. A true classic.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #35 of 47
The L3000 does not fit the budget unfortunately...

How about the D7000, I'm quite surprised that no one is considering this one as a contender for the best hard rock performer :wink:

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #36 of 47
Those 2 and a 007/HD800 and I would never even both to read about audio except albums. They are perfection in their guided areas, rock grado, bass smooth l3k, and airy classical 007/HD800. You would have a dream setup.

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #37 of 47
Than I would say a PS1000 and if you want closed to not bother a family member near you, get a Denon D7000 since it is closer in presentation than the JVC D1000 and can be had relatively cheap. Plus if you goto LawtonAudio they can mod them for you to ultimate status. Denons are also the most comfortable headphones I have worn. Another option would be a headphiled DarthBeyer. Great mods
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 12:28 AM Post #40 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HP1000 FTW

I'm probably wrong (nerver heard HP1000) but I have the feeling they could be too neutral for rock/metal. I still have the impression PS-1000 FTU compared to HP-1000.
icon10.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #41 of 47
The Grado HP-1000's are pretty much the ultimate rock headphones when driven correctly.

But the RS-2's are pretty damn good for the price. I love em.
o2smile.gif

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #42 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by corentin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The amp in the soundcard I have is definitely no slouch and can be compared to outboard amps up to a few hundred bucks so I hear...In fact, the card is dedicated to headphone listening. Anyway , I cannot change this so I'll have to make do. And since the PS1000 could be the best without amp and on my favorite type of music to top it off, I'm starting to think I have a winner
L3000.gif

Just. No.
THe STX onboard amp isn't comparable to dedicated amps worth lots more, and isn't up to delivering the power required of most of the phones you listed. Grado's are the easist to drive, and are widely considered THE ROCK headphone, but for what you want, the SR325 could be more than enough $$ wise.

I auditioned the Alessandro 'version' the MS2 to death, and while terrific for rock and metal, they wore me out - the 325 is apparently even more aggressive, so be careful what you wish for.

Aug 4, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #43 of 47
Instead of putting all the fund into headphone.. why not separate them to dac/amp/headphone?

like pico dac>MAD ear+>RS-1 over PS1000 by itself.. just wondering

To be honest, I don't think your soundcard gonna do any justice to PS1000 at all.

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #44 of 47
The problem is, I cannot find the RS-1 where I live. Hasn't it been discontinued?

IF I really were to hear dramatic improvement in sound when comparing my STX soudcard to a dedicated reasonably-priced amp, then I might consider getting one, but that would be after I get the PS1000 and after I get my Dynaudios focus 110A...

Aug 4, 2009 at 8:32 AM Post #45 of 47
The RS1 has been replaced by the RS1i. Basically the same, but with a few tweaks. Check the Grado web site.

And where do you live? If you fill out your location in your profile, it's easier to tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back