Best "ultimate" headphones for rock/heavy metal
Aug 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

corentin

Head-Fier
Hey there.

I am ready to take the plunge for a so called "ultimate" piece of headphones : Senn HD800, Denon D7000, Grado GS/PS1000, AKG K701...
Unfortunately, in my region, there ain't no possibility to listen to any of these.

So, I am turning to my fellow Headfiers for advice. In your opinion, which is the best when it comes to hard rock/heavy metal music? I agon be running these cans through a Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard famed for its very musical DACs and dedicated headphone output.
I might as well add that I will not be modifying this setup, so no external amps and/or DACs hoeer better this solution might be. Therefore, your choice has to factor this in.
Also, I don't like sound when it's overly harsh or bright.

Thanks in advance for your input
darthsmile.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 47
umm... I'm not sure, but I think all those listed will greatly benefit from an amp.
Like, to the point of it being a better buy to get something a lot cheaper instead of them if you don't get an amp.
But there is a good chance I'm wrong.

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 47
The Grado PS1000 will be the best of those without an amp and best for rock. I do recommend an amp, though. The GS1000 is a very different Grado with a less rock-focused sound. The K701 is mid-fi, and hardly ultimate.

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 47
Its a matter of opinion. If you feel the DAC is more important, feel free to recommend that to him. I personally notice more difference with amping than going from something like an internal good soundcard to an entry level DAC. Otherwise, let people recommend that he get an amp. It's a worthwhile investment.

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by revolink24 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado PS1000 will be the best of those without an amp and best for rock. I do recommend an amp, though. The GS1000 is a very different Grado with a less rock-focused sound. The K701 is mid-fi, and hardly ultimate.

Thanks for all your inputs and for this one in particular. I might have picked the denon D7000 because of its famous low extension if I had to make an uninformed decision. The PS1000 is rock oriented? very informative, thanks again.

The amp in the soundcard I have is definitely no slouch and can be compared to outboard amps up to a few hundred bucks so I hear...In fact, the card is dedicated to headphone listening. Anyway , I cannot change this so I'll have to make do. And since the PS1000 could be the best without amp and on my favorite type of music to top it off, I'm starting to think I have a winner
L3000.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by atothex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He doesn't want an amp or a DAC, so it doesn't matter. Also, none of his headphones choices are particularly great for rock or metal anyways.

Opened to suggestions
happy_face1.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by corentin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Opened to suggestions
happy_face1.gif

Pico DAC/amp and the most expensive JH Audio product you can afford.
wink.gif
I haven't heard that combo, unfortunately.

BTW, good Grados need a matching amp to sound their best. There's no way around it.

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #11 of 47
Interesting:wink: Plus I already have a pair of westone UM2 IEMs for music on the go which I absolutely love, so the pro stuff is definitely a solid lead. However, I really need a fullsize headphone not IEMs.

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:14 PM Post #12 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by corentin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting:wink: Plus I already have a pair of westone UM2 IEMs for music on the go which I absolutely love, so the pro stuff is definitely a solid lead. However, I really need a fullsize headphone not IEMs.

How about this: Parasound 1100, M3, HF1 with flats?

Might as well comment on your phones list. I don't particularly care for the bass in the PS1000 and wouldn't know how to clean it up. It's big but sloppy. Balanced out of the $6000 TTVJ 307A amp, it was still big and sloppy. GS1000 is the same thing but worse mids, which make them bad for important stuff like guitars and vox. I think the HD800 is great, but some people say it's bass-light. Maybe they just fit my head perfectly or something. I would also not think to pair it with anything less than top-notch source or amplification. I've never heard D7000 specifically, but Denons seem to also have problems with mids. I'm not sure how I feel about the K701s, but my experiences so far haven't been positive.

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #14 of 47
Man, being able to get the ultimate headphones without upgrading your source will hold back their potential. The source makes the most difference. RS-1's is very good option for Heavy Metal like Acix posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back