Best Turntabe/LP player for under $150
Jun 3, 2008 at 4:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bemmis

Head-Fier
It will be used for mostly electronic and a bit of radiohead style music. oh, and the occasional beatles record.

I will be using it with either my DT770s or a 2.1 sound system.

Jun 3, 2008 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 9
Ariston Q-Deck from ebay would be a good bet.

I have bought a Rega Planar 2 for less than that, but a P1 would be a little more realistic.

It really comes down to how long are you willing to troll ebay before you pull the trigger.

Jun 3, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look for one of these in your local classified ads paper or craigslist. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/low...source-228059/
Best to avoid ebay unless you can find one on there which is local as shipping turntables is risky since they are fragile and not many people know how to pack one properly.

Amen to that one. Bought a used B&O off ebay. Turntable was fine bought cartridge bounced around in box all the way from Florida to Arkansas. Cartridge was only reason I bought the TT.

Jun 3, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Look for one of these in your local classified ads paper or craigslist. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/low...source-228059/

That's a long list...
biggrin.gif
I went through a few of these units and eventually settled down with the Connoisseur BD2/A for a few reasons. It isn't the quietest or the most sophisticated of the bunch, but it has an auto-lift arm of decent quality (not that common!) and that makes listening to vinyl a whole lot simpler. That's the most practical reason.
The other reason is the pace and timing. This unit has a low-torque motor with a loose belt stretched around the full perimeter of the platter, for better noise isolation. Well that was the intent, but like I said, the BD2/A does not excell in that area. However, this system seems to bring "more" out of the groove, it just feels right...
And if you are about to jump and yell "but Art Dudley said the Thorens 124 is the right thing to do" - save your breath. I just don't buy that!
The BD2/A does share something with the TD124. Both are not suspended!

For a cartridge I recommend the ADC XLM-II and to complete the setup you can purchase an ADCOM GFP-1 or an NAD 1020B preamp and use them through the tape out as phono stages - or listen through the headphone jack!
The whole setup would set you back $200-250 total, on the average. If you shop thriftly from local sellers then you might hit the $150 budget, with a little bit of luck...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnielee54
Bought a used B&O off ebay. Turntable was fine bought cartridge bounced around in box all the way from Florida to Arkansas.

That's not a reason not to buy from ebay, it's just a bad seller!
I sold an Oracle Delphi and had to ship it from CA to TX. It can be done safely, if you know what you're doing. If I ever buy a delicate item from ebay then I'll ask questions before I bid. I'd like to see that the seller really knows what he's doing. It's no guaranty, but it helps avoid the rotten ones...
mad.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:04 AM Post #7 of 9
I wouldn't go out for a specific brand. Instead, I'd hunt through every thrift, junk, secondhand, etc. store locally and cruise garage sales and Craigslist, too.

Don't look for perfection or a particular model. Go with the best of what you find. The Needledoctor should have belts and accessories for anything you find and the Grado Black cart is a wonderful place to start. Just go find a table. Also, do your homework on setup, alignment and maintenance. A well set up table is critical.

Jun 6, 2008 at 5:46 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
used technics.

Completely second this! They are a great value for the money. I've purchased a few for as little as $5.00 and they sound and play great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back