Best tubes for Millett Hybrid Max / RS1's?
Jan 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wierddemon

New Head-Fier
I just recently bought a Millett Hybrid Max (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...s-sold-463668/) that comes with the following tubes:

Sylvania 12FK6 for a gain of 7
GE 12FM6 for a gain of 10
Tung Sol 12AE6 for a gain of 14

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to tube amps (this is my first one) and I was wondering if I should get a new pair of tubes that matches really well with my RS1's... If so, what are some suggestions?

Also, any information just on the basics of tubes in general would be greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 6
Ah... I'm asking about ones that I don't have yet, not which of the above to use... Good point though, I didn't specify.

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Uhm... do excuse my amusement at the irony that you have an amp with 3 sets of tubes and a pair of headphones in front of you, yet you are asking others which set of tubes you would prefer.
smily_headphones1.gif

That's actually Alany.

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by wierddemon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just recently bought a Millett Hybrid Max (http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...s-sold-463668/) that comes with the following tubes:

Sylvania 12FK6 for a gain of 7
GE 12FM6 for a gain of 10
Tung Sol 12AE6 for a gain of 14

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to tube amps (this is my first one) and I was wondering if I should get a new pair of tubes that matches really well with my RS1's... If so, what are some suggestions?

Also, any information just on the basics of tubes in general would be greatly appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

The 12FK6 is generally the best match for low-impedance phones like a Grado. I like the Sylvania tubes as well as the RCA. They have slightly different sound characteristics. I would suggest trying to get a pair of RCA 12FK6 tubes to try out. They have an outstanding midrange that pairs nicely with Grados (or at least they do with my SR-225 and HF-2's, YMMV).

jk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back