Best tube hybrid amp under $1000
Sep 21, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #2 of 17
Monoprice Liquid Platinum haven’t tried it with my OG Abyss as I like them with the Master 9 quite a bit but the HE-500’s,HD-800’s(non S) and the Verite open are fantastic from the Platinum.

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #3 of 17
A tube hybrid would not be a first choice for the HD 800s. Not sure about the other ones on your list. Anyway, the Pathos Aurium gets good reviews but I can't remember if the price is close to 1000 USD.

Sep 21, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #4 of 17
You might find a used Pathos for around that. It's an excellent little amp. I have one and really like it, although I'm feeling the need to scratch an upgrade itch so will likely need to find it a good home (even though I'll probably regret that long term...)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 17
Haha let's talk when I get home in a few months :wink:

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #6 of 17
Oh... and to the OP... it will drive the 1266 TC from the single ended output, but you need the gain all the way up and the volume to be up at noon (ish) for a reasonable output. I suspect some further tweaking could be done to the source gain to alter that. The great thing about the Pathos is there is loads of connectivity.

... man, what am I thinking about letting this one go! :rolling_eyes:

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:37 AM Post #7 of 17
Is Monoprice Liquid Platinum powerful enough to drive 1266 TC? I'm using Monolith DAC/Amp, the sound is very thin. It outputs 3 watts a channel. The reason I'm going for tube hybrid is I want to try the tube sound and solid state usually has more power, so a combination of the two would be ideal.

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 17
A used ECP Audio T3 might be had for less than $1K, but make certain it has all the tweaks (Mundorf caps, tube and buffer CCSs).

As for whether a tube hybrid is appropriate for a Senn HD800, there's only one amp that would beat the T3 and that's a T4. Yes, I sell them, so am obviously biased, but look in the amp section here on Head-Fi and other places for more info. Unfortunately, a T4 is $2K, new, so chances of getting one of those for $1K is next to impossible.

Let me commend the OP for at least trying to pursue a $1K amp for the HD800, instead of asking if sounds good on a smartphone. :wink:

Sep 22, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #10 of 17
Let me commend the OP for at least trying to pursue a $1K amp for the HD800, instead of asking if sounds good on a smartphone. :wink:

So you're saying there is hope on the forums after all? :D

Sep 22, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #11 of 17
A used ECP Audio T3 might be had for less than $1K, but make certain it has all the tweaks (Mundorf caps, tube and buffer CCSs).

As for whether a tube hybrid is appropriate for a Senn HD800, there's only one amp that would beat the T3 and that's a T4. Yes, I sell them, so am obviously biased, but look in the amp section here on Head-Fi and other places for more info. Unfortunately, a T4 is $2K, new, so chances of getting one of those for $1K is next to impossible.

I'll definitely try to model it in audio 46. Final D8000 is actually very easy to drive, I might actually try in on the phone.

I got into headphones recently spent quite a bit buying headphones this year. My current set up is Monolith Dac/Amp powering HD800s, Meze Emprean, Final D8000 Pro and Abyss 1266 TC. Monolith Amp does a fairly good job powering the first three, however on Abyss 1266 TC, I have to turn the volume to -5 DB just to make it sound decent but still thin. I wonder if there is other affordable amp there that adds the richness to the sound at a affordable price around $1000

Sep 22, 2020 at 7:06 PM Post #12 of 17
I'll definitely try to model it in audio 46. Final D8000 is actually very easy to drive, I might actually try in on the phone.

I got into headphones recently spent quite a bit buying headphones this year. My current set up is Monolith Dac/Amp powering HD800s, Meze Emprean, Final D8000 Pro and Abyss 1266 TC. Monolith Amp does a fairly good job powering the first three, however on Abyss 1266 TC, I have to turn the volume to -5 DB just to make it sound decent but still thin. I wonder if there is other affordable amp there that adds the richness to the sound at a affordable price around $1000
While the Liquid Platinum has the power to run the Abyss I do think it is a bit thin as well as I had to get to about 75% on the volume to really get them to what I would like. I don’t have my main rig setup right now but just trying it with my first run Liquid Carbon and about the same amount of volume the sound was so much more full and actually a bit warmer. This might be a tough one to find a amp that will do all of them how you want.

Sep 23, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #15 of 17
I really enjoyed my Schiit lyr 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back