Best Tube Headphone Amp To DIY
Mar 4, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #91 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anti-Triode SEPP, how to do best? - diyAudio

Some interesting ideas. Anti-triode: I can't help but think that if I wanted to maximise voltage swing and source 2xIq into the load, then I'd use SRPP to start with and 2 triodes, rather than subbing silicon for the upper triode. Mu-follower's: taking the low impedance output from a silicon loaded tube doesn't sound good. Use a mu follower with a high gm/gain triode as the cathode follower and a CCS instead of the load resistor. (I tried a direct coupled beta follower after reading Morgan Jones, but preferred the sound of a CCS'd mu-follower, even though it still needed a coupling cap from the gain triode to drive the top cathode follower.) The constant voltage gyrator is more appealing. Anyway, food for thought. Thanks for the link.

Mar 4, 2010 at 7:54 AM Post #92 of 98
no problem.

The proof will be in the listening. I may have a go with a gyrator sooner rather than later.

That threas is a good read, some interesting ideas...

Mar 18, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #93 of 98
this is getting huge
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #95 of 98
Not much on the Bijou? I was looking at that for my first tube build--what do you guys think? My experience with DIY thus far has been:

STEPS + PPAv2 + ε12 (currently moving all that from hammond cases into a single par-metal case)
y1+y2 + σ25

Nothing high voltage as of yet, but I'd like to think I'm intelligent and cautious enough that I won't have a mishap of the electrocution sort.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #96 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volkum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not much on the Bijou? I was looking at that for my first tube build--what do you guys think? My experience with DIY thus far has been:

STEPS + PPAv2 + ε12 (currently moving all that from hammond cases into a single par-metal case)
y1+y2 + σ25

Nothing high voltage as of yet, but I'd like to think I'm intelligent and cautious enough that I won't have a mishap of the electrocution sort.

The Bijou is first class for 600 ohm headphones using 100uf oil output caps, but it isn't a top rated amp for low impedance phones IMO.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:43 AM Post #97 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Bijou is first class for 600 ohm headphones using 100uf oil output caps, but it isn't a top rated amp for low impedance phones IMO.

New phones are on my list to obtain before I do another build. I'll keep that in mind though. At this point I'm just planning ahead.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #98 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitarist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So i'm thinking about making my own tube headphone amp

Price doesnt matter as long as its "you get the best quality for the money"

What do you suggest? (also include links please)

Thanks!!!

Why tube, why not semiconductor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back