Best tube amp for GS-1000: GS-1000 owners only
Oct 11, 2006 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

DRSpeed85

500+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an amp that can synergise well with GS-1000s. I don't want any predictions or amps that mate well with other Grados. Thats why I am setting up a new thread instead of using the search function.

The GS-1000 seems like an alpha female. She just won't take any amp!! There must be some setups out there on headfi that synergise with GS-1000s.

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:21 AM Post #3 of 14
anything can synergize with anything depending on the individual's ears and listening preferences.

That being said, its impossible to say XXX is the hands down perfect amp for the gs-1000 because everyone wants different things out of their music and have different tastes as well as different musical preferences.

That being said, the amps i've used with my gs-1000 are:

in the order of preference least to greatest:

Corda Headfive
Gilmore lite v2
gilmore lite v2 w/ dps
Headamp GS-1
Xin Supermini III with AD 8656
EarMax Pro
SFT Dynamight
Singplepower ppx3
MPX3 Slam SE

and, the slam SE is hands down the best amp that i've tried it with and offers the most tuberolling possibilities.

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 14
So far I think I enjoy the RA-1 the most (I understand it's not tube), but I've been using it with the tube phono section of my VAC Avatar and the results are exactly what I was looking for.
I use my GS1k's with my Opera Consonance 20 headamp (tube) with great results as well, but Im not as pleased with it as the Avatar/RA-1 combo.
I quickly discounted the RA-1 as worthy of driving the GS1k, but Im coming around to see that they really are a nice match.

Oct 11, 2006 at 2:30 AM Post #5 of 14
The only tube amp I have tried the GS-1000 with is my own Singlepower Supra. It sounds excellent. You don't need to go as high as a Supra, however. I think an MPX3 Slam would be great.

I also agree the source makes a big difference.

Oct 11, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 14
I've owned the GS-1000s and based on my time with them and thinking about amps that I've heard extensively I would suggest the Raptor. Mind you, I haven't heard this combo together, but something tells me considering the characteristics of each that this mating might be great match.

Oct 11, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909
I've owned the GS-1000s and based on my time with them and thinking about amps that I've heard extensively I would suggest the Raptor. Mind you, I haven't heard this combo together, but something tells me considering the characteristics of each that this mating might be great match.

thats very dangerous.

I expected that of the gs-1 and was horribly dismayed. there is no should in audio, only is.

Oct 11, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by yellafella321
thats very dangerous.

I expected that of the gs-1 and was horribly dismayed. there is no should in audio, only is.

And what didn't work out for you might have worked out for someone else's ears. No one really ever knows anything until they actually try it and hear it. And I think not listening to stuff first is dangerous and putting too much credence on other peoples opinions, but we all do it.

Nov 14, 2006 at 7:48 PM Post #10 of 14
^ didn't work for these ears either..the raptor I owned for less than two weeks when paired with the GS. As Yella says, I think too that the MPX3 Slam SE is the best amp for these ears and for the Black Dragon GS if anyone is keeping tabs..

From my experience with owning and a/b'g both with the GS and BDGS..
hope this helps would be owners of either of SP or RS tube amp with the GS..

Nov 14, 2006 at 9:16 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei
So far I think I enjoy the RA-1 the most (I understand it's not tube), but I've been using it with the tube phono section of my VAC Avatar and the results are exactly what I was looking for.
I use my GS1k's with my Opera Consonance 20 headamp (tube) with great results as well, but Im not as pleased with it as the Avatar/RA-1 combo.
I quickly discounted the RA-1 as worthy of driving the GS1k, but Im coming around to see that they really are a nice match.

I couldn't agree more. The RA-1 has every bit of synergy that the RA-1/RS-1 combo has. My PPX does everything better with the GS-1000, but the pure, sweet sound quality of the RA-1/GS-1000 makes me wonder if it's not the better combo. It's just so sweet sounding. I thought only tubes could make me feel that way.

I can't wait to try it on my Melos.

Nov 14, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 909

Todd really liked the GS and RS raptor combo and so I gave this team a go for awhile, and thought the sound was really fine, but for the money spent and after I heard the MPX3 Slam SE and the GS together , I wanted to punch myself in the face
icon10.gif

I think the RS raptor/GS combo is great, but for my clams and ear-holes, the SinglePower mates better with the Black Dragon version GS that I have and with the front end to my system. Not to mention with the tube rolling potential on this beast, and added headroom per the Supra Transformer, the BD/MPX3 Slam SE combo is far more resolving in my experience than the Raptor was, especially in the low level, sub-band detail. The increased dynamics and impact as almost mesmerizing as it is jaw-dropping with the BDGS
eek.gif

Nov 15, 2006 at 7:53 AM Post #13 of 14
hi. may i add the zana deux to the list of possibles.... i've listened to both the MPX SE SLAM/GS1000 and Zana Deux/GS1000 out of the same source, and i think that while there was a warmer sound with the singlepower, the impact and soundstage were more impressive with the zana deux.

Nov 15, 2006 at 8:09 AM Post #14 of 14
I'm going to give it a whirl with an SDS-XLR and a balanced pair of GS1000 with a Moon Audio Black Dragon cable.

Haven't actually heard this setup yet because I'm still waiting on the amp, but I did hear a single ended pair of GS1000 with another Single Power amp and it was glorious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back