Best tube amp for AKG K701/702?
Jun 4, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #31 of 39
I have my 701s paired with a Woo3, not even the plus version, pure OTL. For some music, It would be the end of the line and never look back, massive headstage, every detail you could want, but sweet, lush, and real. That's with acoustic music, jazz, vocals, and electronica. Put in something that gets dense, busy and demanding, like metal,and the wheels can come off, although it's still passable. I have just ordered the amp that I think will do both, the Mapletree HD+ Super, and I'm sure I'll post my results in here somehwere, but I just may end up with two amps, as it's hard to imagine selling the Woo.

Note: this combo has lasted me through alot of source upgrades, and just keeps getting better, with the stated exceptions...

Jun 4, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #32 of 39
The K701's deserve more than the Heed or the Solo. I also read about great results with the Woo2 but not for rock just classical and jazz. For more bliss requiring more dough, you should take the Leben CS300 or even the CS600.

Jun 4, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #33 of 39
I run AKG701 balanced (recabled with Silver Dragon) on a Little Dot VI.
I also have HD650 on a Zu cable.
Im very inexperienced with headphones (this is my first amp) so dont take my comments seriously will you.
The AKG701 seems to need heaps of power - more then the HD650.
The LD VI is rated at 5W per channel and has the omph to get the AKG701 singing. On high gain I cant go over mid-volume so theres heaps of head-room.
The sound out of the LD VI can be made sweet and lush with RCA VT229 driver tubes if thats what you like, or it can be tuned to other tastes with different tubes.
Before I got the LD VI I preferred the HG650 for the solid bass and relaxing sound - especially for rock, out of a Lavry DA10.
Now with the LD VI I mostly prefer the AKG701. With the equaliser weighting the bass (through Foobar) the bass on the AKG's is fast, clear, punchy and dynamic.
I find the AKG701 driven by the LDVI with NOS tubes gives a very open, clear and spacious presentation.

Aug 6, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #35 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by dogears /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any risks of frying my K701 if I try this?

Yes. that was a joke but missing a
wink_face.gif
or a
very_evil_smiley.gif
or a
tongue.gif

On topic though, I listened to a pair of K701's through my Little Dot MkIV SE and for some material this combo was very nice. As others have stated, the AKG's are not ideal for rock, metal or very busy orchestral music. For folk, acoustic, vocal or anything that is not too busy they do a great job, provided the amp has the ability to deliver current. As far as OTL tube amps go, the MKIV SE is pretty darn powerful.
My K701's tragically did not survive a cable upgrade (and will be replaced eventually), but for now I'm extremely happy with my HD580's, although I miss the delicacy in the highs and the cavernous soundstage of the AKG's.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #36 of 39
There are people on this forum who have ran them off of a speaker amp. You'd better be the only one with access to the volume knob.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #37 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redcarmoose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes they are little fers. They {the k701s} don't really respond well until you drive the !@#$% out of them, then they conform to your will. I view them as stubborn things with alot of potential.

I tend to agree with you. I had to switch the gain button on my audio-GD Compass when switching from HD650 to K702 cans. The result of that was enormous, I hear a lot more details and the soundstage is wider.
However, I still think there is room for improvement.
I'm waiting for my Phoenix and I'll see how it goes.

Aug 6, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #38 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by babyoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking for something with the classic vintage tube sound (lush, seductive and musical sounding with thick midrange). Any suggestions? Can EarMax drive them well?

If you want lush seductive and musical sounding you might want to check out a Grado RS-1. I have both a 701 and RS-1 and the 701 while a nice phone for the price is not lush, or musical sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back