Best Tonearm with Removable Headshell
Feb 2, 2009 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ALLENR

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Looking for recommendations on the best tonearm with a removable headshell.
Would like to add one to my table and use a variety of cartridges.

Which and why?

thanks!

RA

Feb 2, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 3
Look for a used SME V at Audiogon. I've seen them go for a little over $2,000.

I don't have one, but I do have the SME IV. It's similar to the V, but has a fixed headshell. I don't have a huge amount of experience with tonearms, but the SME trumps the Rega 300 and 600 I've used. They're easy to set up, easy to adjust, track superbly, and sound great. There are other good arms out there, but I don't think you could go wrong with a SME.

Feb 3, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #3 of 3
It's the cheaper SME's like the series 300 and M2 which have removable headshells. The more expensive arms eschew this convenience for the sake of structural rigidity which improves sound quality. See SME for details.

The M2 is similar to the old 3009 series and the newer 309/310/312 share the same kind of moulding as the more expensive series IV / V but retain the removable headshell.

It's a bespoke SME design though superior to the old universal SME/JIS/Ortofon type you find on '70s designs and DJ decks made today, so you need to buy the headshells from SME as well, which of course rules out esoteric Japanese Yamamoto Ebony!

If you want a retro universal design then the best still available are the JELCO@Žsì•óΊ”Ž®‰ïŽÐ which is very similar to the old Sumiko MMT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back