best telarc discs
Apr 26, 2002 at 12:45 AM Post #31 of 55
They usually have a warning label. If you buy their LP version make sure you have a good tracking cartridge.

Also make sure your amplifier have enough power and turn down the volume. The high intensity bass could cause the amplifier to clip and produce DC into your speaker. Speakers don't like DC.

Apr 26, 2002 at 1:21 AM Post #32 of 55
Yah, as it turns out, if you get amps and speakers up to the task, then you start breaking other things, like water lines.

I can't wait to see what the new one is capable of!

gerG

Apr 26, 2002 at 2:40 AM Post #33 of 55
Have you considered the local library. Here in St. louis we have about 10 branches with more than 4000 cd's. If you find one you like -buy or burn.
BTW some of the early telarcs using the soundstream or collusus digital processors have the best sound and are only bested by a small margin with the newer 20 bit. Now they got 96/24 bit . but I havent heard these.

Apr 26, 2002 at 4:28 AM Post #34 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by Greg Freeman
Yah, as it turns out, if you get amps and speakers up to the task, then you start breaking other things, like water lines.

I can't wait to see what the new one is capable of!

gerG

I belive that there is a SACD version of this, and you thought the bass went deep before
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Apr 27, 2002 at 9:11 AM Post #35 of 55
Kelly,

Have you checked out anything in Chesky's catalog?

http://www.chesky.com/

I've been very impressed so far by the quality of their recordings.

Apr 27, 2002 at 1:11 PM Post #36 of 55
Thanks for all your help, guys. I got lucky and a friend of mine actually had two of the recent recommended Telarcs:

Mahler Symphony No. 5 Benjamin Zander/Philharmonia Orchestra - 2001 / DSD - redbook version
Tchaikovsky 1812 Eric Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops Orchestra - 2001 / DSD - redbook version

Quote:

Originally posted by OneMalt
Kelly,
Have you checked out anything in Chesky's catalog?
http://www.chesky.com/
I've been very impressed so far by the quality of their recordings.

Yes.
smily_headphones1.gif
I've sampled the stuff on their web site and heard a could of discs at Flumpus' house but did want some for "reference" in my system. I decided on and placed an order for the following Chesky discs:

CHE10A Various Artists - Tenth Anniversary 2-CD Collection
CHDVD171 Various Artists - The Super Audio Collection & Professional Test Disc
UD095 Various Artists - Ultimate Demonstration Disc
CHDVD221 Various Artists - Ultimate DVD Surround Sampler & 5.1 Set-Up Disc

Also, to sample Naxos, I picked up from the local Virgin Megastore:

The A-Z of Classical Music 2CD
The A-Z of Opera 2CD

Hopefully this will give me an idea of what to expect from these three labels. Are there other relatively small labels I should check out? (I've heard Sony Classical, Philips, etc.)

PS Do not be surprised to see some of these discs utilized when I review hardware.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2002 at 6:44 AM Post #40 of 55
I see some great recomendations hear, Time warp is Awsome! but i would also like to Add Bachbusters and if your into the Beach Boys or would like to be Papa Doo run run. is also great sorry for not listing the dates check telarc's site for them as this is off the top of my head.

Apr 30, 2002 at 8:55 PM Post #41 of 55
A couple of weeks ago I recieved a copy of Jeannie Bryson - Some Cats Know. I really like the track titled "Fever", AWESOME string bass!!! As for the 1812 Overture on the NHT's - do use caution. The canon firing at the end can be hazardous to your speakers health. Also, check with Reference Recordings out of San Francisco. I just recieved a copy of Pomp & Pipes (HDCD), track 4 - "The Vikings" has a room shaking pipe organ. One other cd I recommend that you can get just about anywhere is Frank Sinatra-The Reprise.

P.S.
www.referencerecordings.com

www.amusicdirect.com

Apr 30, 2002 at 9:11 PM Post #42 of 55
I was checking out referencerecordings.com but they don't provide any samples of their content. (Hey, as much as I want to test out the quality of the engineering work, I'm not gonna order if the content is ass.)

Apr 30, 2002 at 10:21 PM Post #43 of 55
Another cd to try is the soundtrack to "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". I couldn't find a copy in one of the local shops, so I bought it off ebay, I think I gave $10/ shipping. It features Yo-Yo Ma on cello. And one more is Roger Waters - Amused to Death. If your speakers are positioned right, behind you, over your right shoulder, you'll hear a dog barking. And right after that you'll hear a woman talking on a TV about even with your left shoulder. REALLY COOL!!!
Arron Copeland - Fanfare For the Common Man done by the Dallas Symphony.
Rebecca Pidgeaon - The Raven from Chesky Records

Apr 30, 2002 at 11:40 PM Post #44 of 55
Quote:

Some people on various forums have said that the redbook on SACD recording is (some say intentionally) not as good as the same redbook recording on a disc by itself.

Kelly,

I have heard this said also, but in my opinion it is not true. I have both the CD and SACD/hybrid versions of Telarc's Mahler's 5th Symphony (Zander) and, to my ears at least, the redbook versions of both sound identical.

Regarding your request for recent Telarc recommendations, I can vouch for everything I've heard that Telarc has recorded in DSD. They've been doing this exclusively now for several years. To my ears, DSD-recorded material sounds better than typical redbook recordings. Of course, the SACD layers sound even BETTER--the nuances of the music come through so much better. Once you've heard SACD, there's no going back to redbook sound.

Having said that, here's a list of some of my SACD favorites, whose redbook sound should be just as good in the CD-only versions:

Mahler Symphony No.5 (Zander/Philharmonia, 2001)--This disc is worth it just for the extra disc on which Zander explains the history behind this work and its themes.
Oscar Peterson Trio: Very Tall Band (1999)--I LOVE Oscar Peterson
Music of Turina and Debussy (J. Lopez-Cobos/Cin. S. O., 2001)
Dave Brubeck: 40th Anniversary Tour (1999): Dave is still great!
Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique (P. Jarvi/Cin. S. O., 2001)
Dukas: The Sorcerer's Aprentice/Symph. in C/La Peri (J.Lopez-Cobos, Cin.S.O., 2000)

Also, it turns out that some of Telarc's earliest recordings are actually some of their best. These were originally recorded using a Soundstream digital recorder, using a slightly higher sampling rate than the rate redbook eventually dictated. The original recordings were resampled to the lower rate; Telarc has gone back to the master tapes and recorded them, using DSD, to their original sample rate. The results are surprisingly good on SACD, and I have no doubt that the redbook layer of these hybrid discs would better the original release.

A couple of these rereleases which I have and love are:
The Firebird (Robert Shaw, Atlanta S. O. , 2000)
Shostakovich Symphony No.5/Tchaikovsky: Romeo and Juliet (L. Maazel, Cleveland O. , 2001)

Happy listening
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back