best telarc discs
Apr 22, 2002 at 8:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
So I keep hearing Telarc is an awesome label with some of the best available recordings and I've only heard a couple of their discs.

Along the same lines as Markl's earlier thread, I'm looking for the best recordings and the best performances--but this time, only for Telarc discs. If you don't mind, also list the release year. I'm trying to get a grasp of "how good are the absolute best redbook recordings by the best label TODAY." Unfortunately, most of the Telarcs I see that I want are ten years old or so.
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks

Apr 22, 2002 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 55
I have a lot of Telarc CDs, I just list them all, and you can look it up lazy
wink.gif

Beethoven - String Quartets Op. 127 in E-Flat Major, Op. 131 in C-Sharp Minor (Telarc)

Chiller – Spine-tingling Music (Telarc)

Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 (Telarc)

Mozart - Requiem (Telarc)

Reflections of Spain: Spanish Favorites for Guitar (Telarc)

Richard Wagner – Music of Wagner (Telarc)

Richard Wagner - Ring Without Words (Telarc)

Star Tracks (Telarc)

Time Warp (Telarc)

Telarc Collection - Vol. 7 (Telarc)

If I was you, I would start with Telarc Collection - Vol. 7 (Telarc), if that doesn't make you a fan of this label, nothing will, and it's cheap too, so check it out!

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode
My favorite is:
Vivaldi-Four Seasons/Seiji Ozawa-Boston Sym Orch.
I rate it highly on all points...

I was considering this one a lot already but, it was 1990. I'm sure this one will make the cut down the road but for now, it's more of a technical experiment and I want to hear a newer Telarc. Thanks, though.

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 55
Not sure how new, but try The Big Picture and The Great Fantasy Adventure Album. Both are very good with a variety of main themes from movies... Just some fun stuff to listen to.

Apr 23, 2002 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by kelly

I was considering this one a lot already but, it was 1990. I'm sure this one will make the cut down the road but for now, it's more of a technical experiment and I want to hear a newer Telarc. Thanks, though.

Go for it. I also think their Shostakovich 5th is sonically great, although I'm not wild about Shostakovich.

Apr 23, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 55
you crazy audiophiles! who cares if it was recorded in 1990! you'll still be able to hear all the music! anyways, those broad general objections aside, telarc does have some great stuff. i haven't had the chance to listen to a lot of it, regretably.
the two CDs i have are:

Mahler: Sym No.3
Jesus Lopez Cobos, Cincinnati symphony orchestra

David Russel plays Baroque music on guitar.

both are very good, the mahler cd especially for sound quality. the performance of the 3rd is very adequate (my largest gripe is with his overly brisk last movement). The playing on the guitar CD is wonderful.

oh, and for shostakovich, the Haitink recordings on Decca have good sound (very crisp and dynamic). i don't know how they fare in the face of competition, performance-wise.

Apr 23, 2002 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 55
Quote:

Originally posted by XXhalberstramXX
you crazy audiophiles! who cares if it was recorded in 1990! you'll still be able to hear all the music!

Typically, I give a lot more credit to content than to technology. But in this case, I'm interested in hearing the technology. It's not as if I don't have any old recordings and I've certainly not ruled out buying older Telarcs later on--I just want to hear what state of the art is when I hear other people talk about it in their reviews.

(Incidentally, I've already ordered some of the sampler discs from Chesky.)

Apr 23, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 55
Check their Jazz and Blues catalogs. This stuff is generally newer than a lot of their classical offerings.

Apr 24, 2002 at 12:28 PM Post #11 of 55
If you want recent stuff, and like a bit of Jazz, my favourite Telarc Jazz CDs would have to be.....

Oscar Peterson A Summer Night in Munich (1999)
- it's like you're there in the hall, and NHOP's bass lines in "Nigerian Marketplace" are AMAZING!

McCoy Tyner with Stanley Clarke and Al Foster (2000)
- another superb album both musically and technically

Ray Brown, John Clayton and Christian McBride Superbass 2 (2001)
- for all my bass-playing bretheren out there. Three of the modern upright bass' greatest exponents playing together. These guys severely know how to make these huge instuments sing, and have a lotta fun in the process (Their rendition of "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" had me in absolute stitches the first time). Nicely captures the "live cafe" atmosphere too.

My advice - get down to your local stockist and have a listen to a few albums, then maybe purchase one or two you like the most.

Have fun
Hamsta

PS - If anyone knows where I can get the original "Superbass" album from, I'm all ears! Cheers.

Apr 24, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #13 of 55
Best? hmmm... I'm not going to comment.

Favorites?
biggrin.gif
P.D.Q. Bach!

Oedipus Tex and Other Choral Calamities (Telarc CD-80239 CS-30239)
1712 Overture and Other Musical Assaults (Telarc CD-80210)
Sneaky Pete and the Wolf

are particular favorites!
tongue.gif

Apr 24, 2002 at 10:00 PM Post #14 of 55
I'll second the McCoy Tyner with Stanley Clarke and Al Foster. Extremely well recorded, great musicians and interesting music to boot. A great jazz cd.

Also, there's the Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture w/ the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra, that's of interest maybe only because of the high quality recording and the digitally recorded cannons, which supposedly reach down to 6hz
eek.gif
. Although this is probably more enjoyable on a speaker system since you can see the woofers pumping away and you definitely get a nice hit in the chest. As far as interpretation, well, to tell you the truth, I don't have the patience to listen to the whole thing, as it's too meandering and just plain boring in many parts for me. The cannons sound cool
wink.gif

And if you have a surround system, there's a recording of Holsts' The Planets w/ the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra that's quite enjoyable.

Apr 24, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #15 of 55
of the CDs that I have, enjoy them all, but I enjoy these the best :

Beethoven - String Quartets Op. 127 in E-Flat Major, Op. 131 in C-Sharp Minor (Telarc)

Dmitri Shostakovich: Symphonies Nos. 5 & 9 (Telarc)

Mozart - Requiem (Telarc)

Reflections of Spain: Spanish Favorites for Guitar (Telarc)

Richard Wagner – Music of Wagner (Telarc)

Richard Wagner - Ring Without Words (Telarc)

Telarc Collection - Vol. 7 (Telarc)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back