Best System Synergy For CHORD MOJO (and possibly Hugo) - AMP/SPEAKERS/HEADPHONES
Nov 20, 2015 at 1:55 PM Post #18 of 126
Hi everyone.

Having recently taken the plunge and purchased a Chord Mojo, I am interested in getting a fixed system to work with it, and possibly add a Chord HUGO later.

I love the sound of the Mojo; but it has some special traits which I fear would be all but lost on some systems or poor synergy would take the edge off the potential.

So I decided to create this thread so we can share ideas and experience to point us in the right direction to get the max out of these wonderful DACs.

My intial thoughts would be a "budget" system around the Mojo and Kef LS50 but I am really stuck on a good amp idea around the 1000 usd / euro / chf mark. 

Hopefully we can make this an interesting ongoing discussion with good ideas are many price points...

Cheers!

I was hoping that the mojo would be able to drive the ls50 direct to loud enough levels for desktop near field listening.....

Nov 20, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #20 of 126
May I say this is a great idea for a thread. I use a Hugo straight into a Cyrus 8 power amp.
Feeding Eclipse T-D 510 speakers . Other amps I use are Eclipse T-D Feeding Eclipse speakers.
I'm really happy with the results.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:11 PM Post #22 of 126
May I say this is a great idea for a thread. I use a Hugo straight into a Cyrus 8 power amp.
Feeding Eclipse T-D 510 speakers . Other amps I use are Eclipse T-D Feeding Eclipse speakers.
I'm really happy with the results.

oh my. Those eclipse speakers are amazing.

http://www.whathifi.com/eclipse/td-510/review

gosh. they must sound amazing with a chord dac. like a pair of TOTL headphones? Interesting. Thanks for that!

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #23 of 126
  Having never used studio monitors before I am going through a massive learning curve, I have just increased the sound quality by 100% by just lifting the speakers tweeter to exactly ear level, this makes a massive difference I am now hearing loads more detail than my Beyer T1's! 

The low's and high's now blend seamlessly together.

Loving these guys, just a pity about the little hiss at idle...

nice. They are sounding really great VFM. 

Consider these guys for your speakers... I have a pair for my (pretty ill now) A5's, and , depending on mood, my X300A on my desktop. They are a revelation. 

Until you can get a pair, perhaps use bricks and heavy books, also work well. Not so acoustically dead as the stands nor as aesthetic, but the do the trick!! 

Im seriously considering a pair of those JBLs now.

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #24 of 126
  I have for awhile now really fancied getting either a Rega Brio-R or Elex-R with their RS3 speakers but since I have the mojo now I have been thinking maybe active speakers. Been reading reviews on the Dali Zensor 1AX, sounds like it could match the mojo nicely. Also further up the chain theres the Adam A7X's and Dynaudio Excite X14a that I have also looked at.

I was checking out those Dalis and the Dynaudios. Both look nice, but the dalis have the DAC built in which means money's going into DA conversion when we have our Chords to supply that bit of the chain?

On from my read about the Dynaudio's I came across these...

http://www.whathifi.com/ruark-audio/mr1/review

any good?

ps those RS3's look interesting. Bit like my old ELA's :)

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #25 of 126

I was checking out those Dalis and the Dynaudios. Both look nice, but the dalis have the DAC built in which means money's going into DA conversion when we have our Chords to supply that bit of the chain?

any good?

i, for the past 2 months, was set on those ruark mr1s.
i don't have a good explanation for not diving for them. they've been lauded tremendously.
they just never persuaded me like the new magnum v6 drivers or mojo have.

more opinions on those would be appreciated. :)
in terms of size, perfect.

oh right, my concern was that they can't utilize bluetooth and the line function to the mojo simultaneously.. if i understand things correctly.
seemed to defeat its top two drawing points.

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #26 of 126
Hi salla. You could try a pair of small Dynaudio or Avi Nuetron speakers second hand for around £200.
Feed with a Cyrus , Audiolab power amp for the same money? Some thing smaller Bantam Gold power amp?

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #27 of 126
  i, for the past 2 months, was set on those ruark mr1s.
i don't have a good explanation for not diving for them. they've been lauded tremendously.
they just never persuaded me like the new magnum v6 drivers or mojo have.

more opinions on those would be appreciated. :)
in terms of size, perfect.

oh right, my concern was that they can't utilize bluetooth and the line function to the mojo simultaneously.. if i understand things correctly.
seemed to defeat its top two drawing points.

not sure i'm with you on that last comment? 

"can't utilize bluetooth and the line function to the mojo simultaneously"

can you explain further?

I checked them again, and they are VERY small. I have a pair of A2 audioengines, and they seem the same sort of size. I would really be looking for something with more "oomph", myself.

But lovely looking units! I was really fooled looking at the pics. Still... if they could rival the A2's for detail and imaging but loose the OTT mid bass the A2's have (bloody awful around 150-200hz) for near field use, they could be v nice.

Currently checking out the Adam A7X's. ...

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:28 PM Post #28 of 126

any good?

Is the DAC not bypassed? Yeah I like the RS3's for their side firing bass ports, meaning I can push them up close to the wall and not have them booming. Just found someone selling AVI adm 9.1's for £400 about an hour away from me, now that is tempting.

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #30 of 126
The KEF LS50 loudspeakers work well with the Hegel H80 integrated amp-- in fact, KEF often demos them with the H80. You could use the Mojo instead of the H80's DAC and the A/B comparisons between the two DACs would be interesting. Used Hegel H80s can be had for a good price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back