Best System Synergy For CHORD MOJO (and possibly Hugo) - AMP/SPEAKERS/HEADPHONES
Nov 20, 2015 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 126

salla45

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone.

Having recently taken the plunge and purchased a Chord Mojo, I am interested in getting a fixed system to work with it, and possibly add a Chord HUGO later.

I love the sound of the Mojo; but it has some special traits which I fear would be all but lost on some systems or poor synergy would take the edge off the potential.

So I decided to create this thread so we can share ideas and experience to point us in the right direction to get the max out of these wonderful DACs.

My intial thoughts would be a "budget" system around the Mojo and Kef LS50 but I am really stuck on a good amp idea around the 1000 usd / euro / chf mark. 

Hopefully we can make this an interesting ongoing discussion with good ideas are many price points...

Cheers!

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #2 of 126
i'll have my ear close to this thread awaiting personal experiences with smallish speaker setups. :)
i've done my fair share of research, but feel even more lost after having done so.

Nov 20, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 126
  i'll have my ear close to this thread awaiting personal experiences with smallish speaker setups. :)
i've done my fair share of research, but feel even more lost after having done so.

Haha. Join the club.

Interesting in the main mojo thread we just got this from Nikonguy ref his purchase of some JBL monitors:

"Thanks Relic, just hooked up my Mac>Mojo>LSR305's and it sounds better than my Naim>LS50 system in my lounge!  The sound stage is amazing!"

I am very curious to know more! :)

There must be some classic combinations which work together, like Linn/Naim back in the day. We must find out !! 

Nov 20, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #5 of 126
  My Mojo based study setup in detail below:-

Source - Macbook Pro 13" running Audirvanna Plus 2.2.4

DAC - Chord Mojo

Digital Connection - AudioQuest Cinnamon Toslink to Mini Toslink Cable 0.75m

Speakers - JBL LSR305 Studio Monitors

Analog Connection - HosaTech 3.5mm TRS to Dual 1/4 inch TS Stereo Breakout Cable

I have only had this hooked up a few hours but the sound is amazing, the speakers still need to bed in so I will update my findings as and when.

I wanted to avoid a separate amp so the JBL's fit the bill for me.

Interesting stuff. My audioengine A5's are packing up at the moment (common A5 fault - the dreaded right speaker wind noise) and ill be looking out for some decent powered monitors soon.

I'd REALLY like to be able to invest in some good separates too. Am thinking power amp or amps fed directly by mojo into something like the LS50's but I am so unsure on the amps, no idea in fact!

Cheers.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:18 AM Post #7 of 126
My bedroom setup is:

Macbook Pro -- > Mojo --> Dali Kubik Stereo System (Free+xtra)

I don't know why Dali Kubik is not more popular, cause it sounds absolutely amazing. You can also use them in the living room, they fill big rooms with sound so easily. They are also great for films and video games. It's got great bass but if you want, you can connect a Dali subwoofer as well. Made in Denmark. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dali-Stereo-Active-Wireless-Speakers/dp/B00I8UNMSQ

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #8 of 126
  My bedroom setup is:

I don't know why Dali Kubik is not more popular, cause it sounds absolutely amazing. You can also use them in the living room, they fill big rooms with sound so easily. They are also great for films and video games. It's got great bass but if you want, you can connect a Dali subwoofer as well. Made in Denmark. 

nice! But am a little confused, are they like my KEF X300A, ie with built in DACs? I love the KEFs and they would be perfect for the Mojo if only we could bypass the damned dacs in them somehow otherwise it would go something like this...

PC/PHONE SOURCE DIGITAL ->MOJO->OUT TO KEFS ANALOGUE INPUT->ANALOGUE TO DIGITAL VIA KEF X300A ONBOARD A/D CONVERTERS-> BACK TO ANALOGUE FOR OUTPUT TO SPEAKERS VIA KEF X300A ONBOARD DACS!

Bloody silly! Am thinking the Dalis may be similar?

Look nice though. Some good reviews too.

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 126
  My bedroom setup is:

read in your other post in the main thread, it has dac built in, but does it do like i mentioned and convert analogue to digital and then back again to output to speakers?

if so, and it still sounds better with the mojo, then ill have to try with my X300A's :)

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:46 AM Post #10 of 126
  nice! But am a little confused, are they like my KEF X300A, ie with built in DACs? I love the KEFs and they would be perfect for the Mojo if only we could bypass the damned dacs in them somehow otherwise it would go something like this...

PC/PHONE SOURCE DIGITAL ->MOJO->OUT TO KEFS ANALOGUE INPUT->ANALOGUE TO DIGITAL VIA KEF X300A ONBOARD A/D CONVERTERS-> BACK TO ANALOGUE FOR OUTPUT TO SPEAKERS VIA KEF X300A ONBOARD DACS!

Bloody silly! Am thinking the Dalis may be similar?

Look nice though. Some good reviews too.

Yes, there's a dac in them but I think you bypass the dac by using the 3.5mm analogue input. The analogue signal goes straight to the amp. Why would it convert analogue to digital and back to analogue again? Does it say something like this in KEF X300A manual?..

read in your other post in the main thread, it has dac built in, but does it do like i mentioned and convert analogue to digital and then back again to output to speakers?

if so, and it still sounds better with the mojo, then ill have to try with my X300A's :)

No idea mate, I don't think it'd do double conversion but maybe I should just email Dali and ask. 
smile.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:58 AM Post #11 of 126
  Yes, there's a dac in them but I think you bypass the dac by using the 3.5mm analogue input. The analogue signal goes straight to the amp. Why would it convert analogue to digital and back to analogue again? Does it say something like this in KEF X300A manual?..

No idea mate, I don't think it'd do double conversion but maybe I should just email Dali and ask. 
smile.gif

can't remember where i read it but several times. it's mentioned here in any case:

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2014/11/kef-x300a-wireless-powered-loudspeaker-review/

but he does go on to say his findings with  a good turntable input were very good. Ill just have to connect the mojo and see! All this rhetoric, and I may as well just try 
popcorn.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #12 of 126

DAC - Chord Mojo

Analog Connection - HosaTech 3.5mm TRS to Dual 1/4 inch TS Stereo Breakout Cable

I have only had this hooked up a few hours but the sound is amazing, the speakers still need to bed in so I will update my findings as and when.

ps.. please do expound more on your 2 setups, the JBLs and the Naim LS50 combo. Am very keen to hear more about both... The LS50 has been my dream for a couple of years now. And the JBL's been reading about today... Nice!! 

Nov 20, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #13 of 126

DAC - Chord Mojo

nikon, are the specific analog connectors and toslink just as integral to the setup as the jbls themselves?
wondering if i could get away with something cheaper as far as those cables go.

ideally, i'd prefer to grab me something a bit more sleek, but if those jbls are as good as you say paired with the mojo,
i may just compromise on dimensions.

Nov 20, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #14 of 126
I have for awhile now really fancied getting either a Rega Brio-R or Elex-R with their RS3 speakers but since I have the mojo now I have been thinking maybe active speakers. Been reading reviews on the Dali Zensor 1AX, sounds like it could match the mojo nicely. Also further up the chain theres the Adam A7X's and Dynaudio Excite X14a that I have also looked at.

Nov 20, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #15 of 126
  I have for awhile now really fancied getting either a Rega Brio-R or Elex-R with their RS3 speakers but since I have the mojo now I have been thinking maybe active speakers. Been reading reviews on the Dali Zensor 1AX, sounds like it could match the mojo nicely. Also further up the chain theres the Adam A7X's and Dynaudio Excite X14a that I have also looked at.

nice. I used to have a pair of Rega Ela's paired with Musical Fidelity A100 amp and coincidentally fed by a DELTEC PDM 1 DAC (one of Rob's first designs!). That was a synergic combo. Surreal. The Elas were bloody fantastic, they had these superlight midbass cones and transmission line cabinet. Superb transparency and the A100 was so smooth! Happy times back in the 90's. 

I must check out the new Rega stuff and the other bits you mention!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back