Best Surround Speakers for PC?
Aug 29, 2008 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Sandulf

New Head-Fier
Ok, so here is my story, been using Logitech X-540 5.1 speaker system for over 3 years now, want to upgrade to something better, I don't have an amp, my soundcard is Sound Blaster Audigy SE, willing to upgrade that also if needed. My budget is $500 at most. Any recommendations? I appreciate your time.

Aug 30, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 9
If you want good sound... you probably shouldn't go for a surround system at that budget.

there are some very sweet 2.1s at that price point. i've listened to the blueskys and they are impeccable... another option (which is popular but I haven't heard myself) is the audioengine a5s with a cheap velodyne subwoofer...

i'm looking into pairing audioengine a2s or nht sb-1s with a m&k mx-70 subwoofer (which sounds sweet by itself too LOL)

Aug 30, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 9
I do understand that 2.1 speakers beat the 5.1 speakers in sound quality most times, but I really do want surround sound since I'm a gamer and watch a lot of movies on my computer. I'll keep the 2.1 speakers in mind that you mention and that others mention, but can you recommend some good/great surround speakers for the PC?

Aug 30, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #4 of 9
Ok so if I do decided to get an AudioEngine A2 or A5, what subwoofer would you recommend for a good price that would work with the speakers? Also what cables would I need?

Sep 8, 2008 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 9
Don't forget gaming sound cards, with EAX5.0, can give you surround from your 2.1

Sep 10, 2008 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandulf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so if I do decided to get an AudioEngine A2 or A5, what subwoofer would you recommend for a good price that would work with the speakers? Also what cables would I need?

i don't think you need a sub
the bass is rather defined rather than a thump from a sub

meh, but what do i know about speakers

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 9
recommending Audioengine A5 also

Although I haven't owned any other high quality speakers, I have the Audio Technica A900 and Westone UM2, and I really prefer the sound of the Audioengines best for casual listening.
The bass is really nice for such small speakers, you really don't need to buy a sub for them, I like the bass on the A5s better than my basshead Westone UM2s.
Just game using headphones, I can't imagine surround sound giving you that much of an advantage online anyways

Sep 11, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #9 of 9
Audioengine, schmaudioengine...

For that kind of money, I'd get a cheap HT receiver and some decent speakers - The Cambridge Ensemble set I've been using sounds nice, is small, and has passive subs. Craigslist is your friend.

(I'm selling it if you want it!
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Alternately, get some powered studio monitors. The BX5As are nice if you want something small, and you can get 'em for under $150/pair on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back