Best Sub-Bass: M-80, HD25-1, DT1350, Amperior, ESW9?
Nov 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

9Nein9

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a (portable) pair of headphones with great sub-bass, while retaining excellent mid bass, treble, and good mids. I will, however, allow for a lack of bass, as I can boost it with my FiiO. I just want great bass response, GREAT sub bass, and good treble and mids. I've narrowed my options essentially down to these:

V-MODA M-80
Sennheiser HD25-1 II / Amperior
Beyerdynamic DT1350
Audio Tehnica ATH-ESW9
and I'm also interested in these:
Shure SE535
HiFiMan RE262RE272

I have considered the M-80 for its large frequency response, 5hz - 30khz, I just need to know if the response in the lower frequencies is VERY good, like the sub bass area. I've also considered the HD25 for its durability, portability, and good reviews, however it only has a frequency range of 16hz - 22khz, which might not extend low enough for my liking, and the DT1350 as it is a good contender to the HD25.
Thank you.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 10
I think the M80 is a good fit for you because it sounds very similar to the already awesome HD25, but with some extra sub bass.  The DT1350 sounds good, but the mids can be a tad recessed compared to the others.

Nov 19, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #3 of 10
The DT1350 is an awesome portable headphone. IMO it has an almost bottomless, detailed low end with a nice mid bass thud. The mids are forward enough and the treble is detailed without being fatiguing or sibilant. The M80 also extends low but lacks the detail of the Beyer to my ears. I have both and use them often.
edit: I had the HD25 for a while but sold it because it didn't extend as low as I would have liked. Also the highs were a bit harsh to my ears.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #4 of 10
Amperiors are more mid-bassy than sub-bassy.

Mids, highs and detail is incredible.

Don't know about the Beyers, apparently they are warmer and have better sub-bass extension.

Nov 19, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 10
Ok, I think I've now narrowed it down to the M-80 and DT1350, I think the HD25 might not give me the bass extension I want. The problem is, people have different opinions on these headphones, it seems. Unfortunately, I don't exactly live near any headphone stores where I can audition them. The only store that I can audition headphones is the Apple store, and they don't have a very wide(not to mention not very good) selection of 'phones. I can give you all more specific information about my preferences, however. My preferred genres of music are electronic, such as electro house, DnB, and some dubstep. I'm not a basshead, however, but I do like my bass, and especially sub-bass, but I also want my mids and treble to be very good too. If I really can't decide on one, I might just have to drive a long way to a Guitar Center, or buy both and then return the one I don't prefer.

Nov 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #7 of 10
Ok, I think I've now narrowed it down to the M-80 and DT1350, I think the HD25 might not give me the bass extension I want. The problem is, people have different opinions on these headphones, it seems. Unfortunately, I don't exactly live near any headphone stores where I can audition them. The only store that I can audition headphones is the Apple store, and they don't have a very wide(not to mention not very good) selection of 'phones. I can give you all more specific information about my preferences, however. My preferred genres of music are electronic, such as electro house, DnB, and some dubstep. I'm not a basshead, however, but I do like my bass, and especially sub-bass, but I also want my mids and treble to be very good too. If I really can't decide on one, I might just have to drive a long way to a Guitar Center, or buy both and then return the one I don't prefer.

To my ears the Beyer presents the whole freq. range nicely. I listen to a lot of techno when I'm on the go and the DT's have a nice punch. Vocals also sound great and you won't miss any sparkle from the highs. I also enjoy the M80's with electronic music, they have a bit more of a mid bass thud than the Beyer's but they do lack a little in treble sparkle. I keep the M80's because of the iDevice cable which is really convenient sometimes.
Also, I find them both comfortable with the edge going to the DT's mainly due to the shape of the earpads.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:18 PM Post #8 of 10
Actually, the hd 25 does do subbass. It is more midbassy though. The amperior should be at the apple store, as that is where it was originally meant to be exclusive to. The Hd 25 is peaky, kinda harsh, the amperior tones the bass down a bit, and eliminates most of the harshness, but for about double the price.

The dt1350 is afflicted with beyer's lack of qc on their teslas. Pairs can sound radically different from the other. Some are nice, some are funky, some are just bad. I think I just got funky. Nothing in the tonal balance seemed wrong, but just sounded incoherent.

The m80 are bass boosted, and have a reduced treble. Personally a tad on the dull, dark side, but the easiest for me to recommend.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #9 of 10
Ok, thanks for all your recommendations and opinions. I do have another question, however. It's not really related to this specific forum(portables), but I thought it worth a shot to ask. How does the Beyerdynamic DT880 250ohm fare with sub-bass, and soundstage?(also, will the FiiO E17 be enough to power them well?) I'm going to be using them for home listening and gaming use, but I'm still looking at the M-80's and DT1350's for portable use. Also, will the EQ on the E17 work well with the DT1350's or M-80's?

Nov 20, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #10 of 10
-should work, but I haven't used the e17...

-the dt880 is one of the nicer full size values IMO. SS is larger than average, subbass extension is also better than the usual offering for its price. Do note that like most other full sized dynamics, the bass eventually rolls off and/or distorts heavily before 20hz. I'd put that point around 30hz for the dt880, after which it becomes increasingly unresponsive to eq. Actually has good qc, unlike beyer's new models.

-The dt1350 and m80 seem to have good subbass capability. Closed portables tend to be stronger down low. I have no idea about the nature of the equalizer on the e17, but the bass capability is there on the cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back