Best sub-bass $400 or less
Nov 26, 2023 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

minusorange

New Head-Fier
Hi Folks,
I'm looking for a versatile headphone of decent quality coming in at $400 or less.

I'd prefer good sound all around, but the biggest focus is on getting as good as possible sub-bass representation from around 28-80hz.

I prefer closed back so that I can use them on the go if possible.

My goal would be to have a single good all-arounder set that could be used with the Fiio BTR7 on the go.

These would supplement a brand new set of Sennheiser Momentum 4, for cable free use, but of course it'd be amazing if I could get something that's wireless capable - I know that's unrealistic though.

Right now my front-runners are Sennheiser HD660S2, but those are max budget ($400) and open-back, so I wanted to see what other options might be good for me.

Thanks!

Nov 26, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 14
I'd try to find a used Denon D5200 (or D7200).

Nov 26, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #3 of 14
The Beyerdynamic DT770 250ohm is at eBay for $108 open box. The bass extension goes all the way down and really comfortable. The DT700 X Pro is a little smoother on the treble peak, easier to drive, and looks a whole lot cooler for travel. Just takes a week to break in the pads, kind of stuff when you first get them, better after 20+ hours of wearing them though.

Nov 28, 2023 at 8:10 PM Post #5 of 14
Hi Folks,
I'm looking for a versatile headphone of decent quality coming in at $400 or less.

I'd prefer good sound all around, but the biggest focus is on getting as good as possible sub-bass representation from around 28-80hz.

My goal would be to have a single good all-arounder set that could be used with the Fiio BTR7 on the go.

These would supplement a brand new set of Sennheiser Momentum 4, for cable free use, but of course it'd be amazing if I could get something that's wireless capable - I know that's unrealistic though.

Right now my front-runners are Sennheiser HD660S2, but those are max budget ($400) and open-back, so I wanted to see what other options might be good for me.

Thanks!
Bose qc35ii. You can find them used for half your budget.
You can use them wired or wireless.
They have as much or more sub bass than the Beyer dt 770 without the peaky treble.
I know audiophiles sneer at bose headphones but this model is above the rest in the bose line according to my taste.
An example of some of the closed and open backs I own. akg k371, sennheisser amperior, sennheisser hd 6xx, audeze lcd2c
Beyer dt990 premium.

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 14
It seems used Denon D2000 is the best choice because it has sufficient mids
Denon_AH-D2000_FR.png

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 14
The Thx00 or Denon D2000. Both have an excellent sound signature and go quite deep

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #9 of 14
Best bass headphones in your price range are emu teak , fostex th x00 , or used denon d2000, d5000 , d7000 series , kennerton magni ...

It seems used Denon D2000 is the best choice because it has sufficient midsDenon_AH-D2000_FR.png

The Thx00 or Denon D2000. Both have an excellent sound signature and go quite deep

Difficulty is in getting the mids more forward, and to smoothen/soften the treble a bit.

If you want that dirty slappin car subwoofer bass ... to take you back to the highschool days... the JVC SZ1k/2k w/sheepskin pads (hm5 or alpha pads)

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:32 PM Post #10 of 14
If you want that dirty slappin car subwoofer bass ... to take you back to the highschool days... the JVC SZ1k/2k w/sheepskin pads (hm5 or alpha pads)

He's looking for a good all rounder. The only thing standout on the JVC is the bass, and only with crazy amounts of EQ.

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #11 of 14
He's looking for a good all rounder. The only thing standout on the JVC is the bass, and only with crazy amounts of EQ.

Sorry if not clear, the first sentence was referring to the d2k/5k. The Th610 I think is a solid and safe choice.

I've seen d7000 hovering under 500 from Japan, which could be hit or miss on condition.

At least with those (except) d2000, you can upgrade to Lawton cups down the line unlike the 5200.

E-MU Teak Brand New at 400 seems like a bargain. So E-MU vs TH610

i really don't know of any all rounder than actually has sub bass like the Foster biodyna drivers in that price range.

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #12 of 14
Hey all - obviously I don't have my notifications set up right (new forum user) - wanted to hop back in and thank everyone!

I'm going to try to step back and hold off on picking anything too hastily, but the two that have stood out to me so far for different reasons would be the E-MU Teak and the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm and 250ohm.

I really like the lower cost of the Beyers given I impulsively spent $1500 on Yamaha, Emotiva, and SVS hi-fi gear last month which is probably more than I'd normally spend in a year on frivolous stuff for myself.

Looking at the spec sheet for the BTR7 I'm thinking - sadly - that the 250ohm might not get the wattage it needs:
Output PowerPO about 165mW(16Ω loaded)PO 20Hz~20KHz:±<0.1dB
PO about 160mW(32Ω loaded)
PO about 18mW(300Ω loaded)

Sorry for the bad formatting.

Looks from the graphs at rtings that the Beyer's just really punch above their weight, and if I damage them it's less to cry over than the E-Mus.

EDIT: Actually maybe I shouldn't worry too much about the BTR7 not being enough since one review states:
https://www.headphonesty.com/2023/01/review-fiio-btr7/
Officially, FiiO says the BTR7 will support headphones with impedances up to 150 Ohms, but more efficient, even higher-impedance models such as the Sivga SV023 and Sennheiser HD650 work fine.
...and both of those examples are 300 ohm.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #13 of 14
Hey all - obviously I don't have my notifications set up right (new forum user) - wanted to hop back in and thank everyone!

I'm going to try to step back and hold off on picking anything too hastily, but the two that have stood out to me so far for different reasons would be the E-MU Teak and the Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 80ohm and 250ohm.

I really like the lower cost of the Beyers given I impulsively spent $1500 on Yamaha, Emotiva, and SVS hi-fi gear last month which is probably more than I'd normally spend in a year on frivolous stuff for myself.

Looking at the spec sheet for the BTR7 I'm thinking - sadly - that the 250ohm might not get the wattage it needs:
Output PowerPO about 165mW(16Ω loaded)PO 20Hz~20KHz:±<0.1dB
PO about 160mW(32Ω loaded)
PO about 18mW(300Ω loaded)

Sorry for the bad formatting.

Looks from the graphs at rtings that the Beyer's just really punch above their weight, and if I damage them it's less to cry over than the E-Mus.

EDIT: Actually maybe I shouldn't worry too much about the BTR7 not being enough since one review states:
https://www.headphonesty.com/2023/01/review-fiio-btr7/

...and both of those examples are 300 ohm.
In case you havent pulled the trigger on anything yet. The 80 ohm Beyers are supposed to be more bassy while the 250 ohm Beyers have more treble and the bass is not as boomy. The E-MU Teaks really dont isolate well and will leak sound, that goes for any of the Fostex models aswell. I actually went from a set of DT770 250ohms to a set of Fostex TH900 Mk1. The Beyers isolate much better and wont leak sound if you want to use them on the go and dont want to bother others. While I was pretty happy with the Beyers I wanted to see what the fuss over these Biodyna drivers were. Was not disappointed at all, they took everything i liked about the Beyers and made it better while adding more detail and slam. If you can i suggest using EQ aswell to get the most bass out of the Beyers.

Dec 12, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #14 of 14

Hifiman HE-R9. They're $109 right now and have huge sub bass energy.
Not sure about walking in public with an HE-R9 tho.

SR50 can be had for $79.50 over at AT outlet store and tho it says refurbished, most likely you'll be getting a new pair in white box. Do a pad swap and get your bass needs filled, comes with balanced cable too if that matters. A solid bass beater that won't mind getting banged around on the go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back