Best sub-$200 IEM's for a newbie?
Jan 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

snoshreddax21

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm looking into getting a nice pair of earbuds and am clueless as to what my best option would be. I'm upgrading from a POS pair of Skullcandys so the difference will be  night and day. So far, I've narrowed it down to one of the following:

Klipsch Image S4 (I actually tried these out from a friend)
Etymotic hf5
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10
Ultimate Ears 700
NuForce NE-700X

I wasn't crazy about the sound of the S4's. They sounded overall muddy to me and had too much bass for my taste that seemed to drown out the music. Please keep that in mind in your suggestions. I'd also like to try to stay away from the wrap-around wire style of earphones (eg. Shure's line of headphones) just because they look like they would get uncomfortable after a while of listening. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I listen to mostly rock music but also some dubstep and occasional rap/hip-hop. I'd like them to be clear all around the spectrum and NOT have muddy bass or piercing highs. I've heard VERY good things about the TripleFi 10's sound quality but also that they are extremely bulky and uncomfortable after a while, which is a huge downfall to me. Are there any possibly earbud-style headphones that rival the TF10's sound in a smaller and more comfortable package?

I'm COMPLETELY open to suggestions that may be better than the ones I've mentioned, but I'd really rather not invest in any even remotely sketchy imports just so I don't have to bother with warranty service if I'd ever need to (eg. Brainwavs).  

Oh, and like the title, try to keep it under $200 :)

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 13
Having heard the TF10 and GR07 I would go with the Ety's.  Some Best Buy stores have the HF-3 (apple version, with mic and other controls) on clearance currently for around 79 dollars.  If you plan to use a non apple device you would want the HF-5.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #5 of 13

Quote:
I would suggest to choose between TF10 & GR07.

Everyone seems to recommend the TF10 but I'm really worried about how comfortable it would be.
Quote:
Having heard the TF10 and GR07 I would go with the Ety's.  Some Best Buy stores have the HF-3 (apple version, with mic and other controls) on clearance currently for around 79 dollars.  If you plan to use a non apple device you would want the HF-5.

Not familiar with the HF-3's but I have an android phone anyway.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #6 of 13
I am using TF10 myself. No comfort issues. They will just stick out a  little bit out of your ear. Everyone is recommending TF10 because for the price they are sold there isn't much to recommend for you, only a couple of iems can compete with them in this price range.

Jan 8, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #7 of 13
I as many have had comfort issues with the TF10's, I even tried to get past that and purchased another pair this past Black Friday for the reasonable 99 price.  Funny thing is that if you have a fit issue with them you will always have it.  At 169 or whatever they are currently selling for there are alot of other IEM's to be had.  As mentioned earlier the Etymotic HF-5, Vsonic GR07, even the RE0 for under 100.  There are also other phones out there that I haven't heard but have gotten a lot of good reviews such as the JVC fxt90 and sony ex600.

Jan 8, 2012 at 4:55 AM Post #9 of 13
First IEM, I'd say UE700 will be the best, because it is like a one-for-all-genre IEM, from classic to hiphop, if you have the money for TF10 then so be it, but if you only have limited fund then go with UE700

HF5 will be good for most but electronica/hiphop, whereas S4 is not too good for classic/jazz

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #12 of 13
for the genres you listen go with the TF10s they are amazing with rock & dubstep!  

Jan 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
First IEM, I'd say UE700 will be the best, because it is like a one-for-all-genre IEM, from classic to hiphop, if you have the money for TF10 then so be it, but if you only have limited fund then go with UE700

HF5 will be good for most but electronica/hiphop, whereas S4 is not too good for classic/jazz

UE700 is one of those IEM's that is very tip dependent.  It gives me better LF extension with the supplied Comply spherical Tx-200 tips.  The silicone tips produce a much leaner sound -- very much Etymotic lean but without the hyper detail the Ety's have.  I have the regular Tx-200's on order, hoping that deeper insertion will flesh things out even more.  Also, isolation is pretty much nil with the silicone tips.  Minimal, at best.  These are very good and very refined IEM's.   I got mine for just over $100.00 -- at that price they are a no-brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back