Best Sub 150$ V shaped headphones
Apr 24, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #16 of 46
This is my first post here but I’ve been lurking for quite some time. I’m relatively new to this but have been researching and experimenting a lot. I’m looking for the best v shaped or u shaped signature earbuds and headphones I can get for under 150 $.
I have bought a lot of sub 50 dollar headphones to realize what I like is a deep sub bass awesome mid bass, decent forward mids , and very detailed highs. I find flat signature to be boring. I love bright highs detailed but i cannot stand sibilance or piercing.
I listen to a lot of hard rock modern rock , rock fused with electronic, some pop.
Out of all the sub 50 headphones I have I find. The LKER i8 to be my favorite. I play my music mostly though my iPhone with a dragon fly black amp/dac , and also my Imac.
So guys best 150 pref Under 100 v or u shaped earbuds and headphones that are loud and intense.

For an open headphone, check out the Soundmagic HP200
For a closed headphone, check out the Soundmagic HP150/HP151.
I'm assuming you might have to buy them used, to fit with in your budget.

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #17 of 46
Would any one actually call the DT770's mids forward?

I don't think you're going to get everything you want. You literally just explained that you want everything to be emphasized, which is a neutral presentation. Strong bass, forward mids, and energetic treble don't come in a single package for cheap. Additionally, forward mids only really happen where the treble and bass are comparatively quieter. Maybe you can get two of those things in any one product for the price you're looking.

I'd say look at at the HE400i/HE4xx, t20/40/50rp, and I would have said look at the thx00 as a possible solution for most of your requirements, but it's 350 I think?

Apr 24, 2018 at 5:18 AM Post #18 of 46
DT770 80ohm is what you're after, They play well out of the iphone. I'd not go the 32ohm route, the slightly higher ohm is the better sounding can.
If you could save up your budget a little more the DT990 is an even better option. You can find the all Black limited version around $160 bucks...Sure they need a little power behind them to get the best out of them, but save yourself the headache and just get a low cost Topping NX1s or even a Topping NX3..found for $40-$65..You don't need to spend big bucks on an amp, Trust me I've been down that route...Or you could go all out like me, and get a DT990, buy a Premium Headbow, Replace the Headband and Sliders with T70 parts and have the most comfortable cans you could ask for:)

Agree 100% , but if he likes big bassa and modern rock, although dt990 sound better he will like more dt770 80 oHm because they are closed so with more punch for bass but they are V shape, so mids are not so good. Grado Sr80e can be an option too if you like the sound

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #19 of 46
Can you provide more specifics as to what you're looking for in an over ear? I think as long as you stay away from most monitors, you will find a V shape in close to everything else. I listen to mostly classic rock, and found the 80 ohm 770s too bright. Plus not having a detachable cable drives me nuts for portable use.

Apr 24, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #20 of 46
I agree with stay away from monitors. I love bass strong but not muddy , crisp and booming at times. I love almost exaggerated highs, where I can hear tones I dont usually .That being said I do not enjoy piercing or siblince. Mids have to be there also and clear. A few bands I like. Queens of the Stone Age, muse, Radiohead, royalblood , franz Ferdinand , kasabian, rival son, black rebel motorcycle club , a lot of rock fused with electronic and much more.
I researched the 770 80 ohm, based on the recommendations here ,It sounds perfect. However, 10 foot not detachable cable is a deal breaker sadly.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #21 of 46
I agree with stay away from monitors. I love bass strong but not muddy , crisp and booming at times. I love almost exaggerated highs, where I can hear tones I dont usually .That being said I do not enjoy piercing or siblince. Mids have to be there also and clear. A few bands I like. Queens of the Stone Age, muse, Radiohead, royalblood , franz Ferdinand , kasabian, rival son, black rebel motorcycle club , a lot of rock fused with electronic and much more.
I researched the 770 80 ohm, based on the recommendations here ,It sounds perfect. However, 10 foot not detachable cable is a deal breaker sadly.
DT 770/80 might not be the best option because it can be sibilant (at least the 32 ohm, 80 ohm might have less) and the mids take a back seat to the highs and lows, but they are clear. I can hear words and pronunciations more clearly than I could with the M50x (ooohhh...THATS what he’s saying).

So yeah, I like my 770 Pro 32 ohm and I realize they’re a great headphone but you have to be willing to accept some sibilance and some slightly recessed mids. I haven’t heard a mid forward phone before so I don’t think the mids are that recessed. The cable is also shorter on the 32 ohm.

Apr 25, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #22 of 46
The mids don’t have to be foward. Rhythm guitars typically are mids. I just want to be able to hear them with great clarity without it being recessed, highs- almost exaggerated treble bringing out the higher tones usually in th background up front . I suppose I can deal with minor siblince, has to be very minor. Bass- hard and punchy, layered . I love a good sub bass that gets pumping but not muddy or bloated.

Apr 25, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #23 of 46
The mids don’t have to be foward. Rhythm guitars typically are mids. I just want to be able to hear them with great clarity without it being recessed, highs- almost exaggerated treble bringing out the higher tones usually in th background up front . I suppose I can deal with minor siblince, has to be very minor. Bass- hard and punchy, layered . I love a good sub bass that gets pumping but not muddy or bloated.
Gotcha. I will tell you that the 32 ohm version has good bass but it might not be the amount you’re looking for, and I’d call the sibilance more than a little, but some might be more used to it than others and find it isn’t as bad as others may claim. It doesn’t add sibilance though, it just kinda emphasizes the sibilance that is already there. I’d say the sound you’re looking for probably more closely resembles the 80 ohm (if that model is in fact still more bassy than the others, they might have changed it). You could also try the 32 ohm with the pleather pads as they might give you a little more bass, probably a little less treble, more isolation but also less comfort and soundstage.

In the price youre looking in the Beyers are one of the better options but there may be others.

Apr 25, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #24 of 46
The coiled cable on my DT770PRO-250 is 4'2" at rest (I just measured) if that helps. It's actually best for desktop use and not so much for lounging on the couch with the headamp in a rack. If you can get past that it's not detachable, it's actually ok, but kinda big and dorky looking, for portable use.

Apr 25, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #26 of 46
Bu the real deal breaker might be if your'e bothered by sibilance -- I agree it's more than just a little. I'm running it with a pretty unforgiving combo though, a Benchmark DAC1 Pre, so ymmv.
Yup...if I had one con in regards to the sound of these headphones it would be the 10k peak that’s a little too big. It’s worse on other headphones. It’s not even the biggest peak on a Beyerdynamic headphone...the 990 is supposedly way worse.

Aside from that, they really do sound fabulous.

Apr 25, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #27 of 46
I do want to be able to take these phones out with me and be somewhat portable. I’m concerned with the 770’ for the siblince you both reference and for the very large cord. Any other possible recommendations would be appreciated, maybe I’m asking for too much in my price range..

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #28 of 46
If you absolutely can’t stand sibilance and need a portable then yeah the 770 mignt not be the best choice. I was mainly looking for a portable can as well but went with the 770 just based on all the reviews, and was hoping the 32 ohm with the shorter cable would make portability a little easier. It does, but they’re still not really walking around cans. I can use them in the office or on long commutes though, and use earbuds for walking.

Maybe I’d recommend the Meze 99 Neo, Sony MDR-1A or ATHM50x. They all have a slight v shape and are mid bass focused. I had the M50x and I find it’s midbass to be too bloated especially now after hearing the more balanced 770’s. Haven’t heard the other two but I hear good things.

Apr 25, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #29 of 46
If you absolutely can’t stand sibilance and need a portable then yeah the 770 mignt not be the best choice. I was mainly looking for a portable can as well but went with the 770 just based on all the reviews, and was hoping the 32 ohm with the shorter cable would make portability a little easier. It does, but they’re still not really walking around cans. I can use them in the office or on long commutes though, and use earbuds for walking.

Maybe I’d recommend the Meze 99 Neo, Sony MDR-1A or ATHM50x. They all have a slight v shape and are mid bass focused. I had the M50x and I find it’s midbass to be too bloated especially now after hearing the more balanced 770’s. Haven’t heard the other two but I hear good things.
I'd argue the ATHm50x is more than "slightly" v shaped. The Meze might be nice, but the bass does bleed a bit into the mids. At least, it did so on the Classic I tried out. And you want these on the go? Give the Monoprice Retro's a try for 35$, and see where you want to go from there.

Apr 25, 2018 at 9:29 PM Post #30 of 46
I'd argue the ATHm50x is more than "slightly" v shaped. The Meze might be nice, but the bass does bleed a bit into the mids. At least, it did so on the Classic I tried out. And you want these on the go? Give the Monoprice Retro's a try for 35$, and see where you want to go from there.
Is there more midbass on the Meze 99 than the M50x? That’s one headphone I was interested in. They replaced the pads on the classic and the Neo uses the same ones and they added a crap ton of bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back