Best Sub 150$ V shaped headphones
Apr 22, 2018 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

floydfanx6

Head-Fier
This is my first post here but I’ve been lurking for quite some time. I’m relatively new to this but have been researching and experimenting a lot. I’m looking for the best v shaped or u shaped signature earbuds and headphones I can get for under 150 $.

I have bought a lot of sub 50 dollar headphones to realize what I like is a deep sub bass awesome mid bass, decent forward mids , and very detailed highs. I find flat signature to be boring. I love bright highs detailed but i cannot stand sibilance or piercing.

I listen to a lot of hard rock modern rock , rock fused with electronic, some pop.

Out of all the sub 50 headphones I have I find. The LKER i8 to be my favorite. I play my music mostly though my iPhone with a dragon fly black amp/dac , and also my Imac.

So guys best 150 pref Under 100 v or u shaped earbuds and headphones that are loud and intense.

Apr 23, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #3 of 46
I've just purchased a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-WS1100iS Solid Bass cans and couldn't be happier. They're a "semi-open" design and tuned for Bass, but it's tight and articulate instead of a booooming, bloated mess that bleeds all over the mid-range and higher frequencies.

I mainly listen to rock, pop, and electronica, including EDM, classic "Berlin School," and "Dark Ambient," which is built on layers of visceral, growling, deep bass drones and textures. I wear glasses and find them very comfortable; the ear cups are large and deep, with a dual layer memory foam design that doesn't crush my glasses against my head; I think they would probably work for you, but hearing is believing!

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #4 of 46
The Beyer DT770PRO (250 ohm) can often be found for under $150 new and has the characteristics you're looking for, except for forward mids. I listen to equal part EDM and classical/jazz and find the sound captivating. Bass is deep, tight and textured while the treble is detailed and ruthless, to the point that poor quality recordings are unlistenable. And the soundstage is very very good for a closed back. Also the 250 ohm version, at least, definitely need a good dac/amp combo.

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #6 of 46
You guys are awesome I will research those. Any other suggestions out there ? I’m scared of going up to high in ohms, since I mostly play out of my iPhone flac files with my dragonfly black. I was looking at some jvc phones also.

Apr 23, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #7 of 46
I used DT770 pro 80 oHm without any amp and they were ok with my iphone so if you use dragonfly you won't have any problem with volume. They have very nice bass and a V shape sound. It depends also where you live, cause Fidelio X2 are very easy to drive, very nice V sound, nice bass and fantastic soundstage

Apr 23, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #9 of 46
Apr 23, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #10 of 46
I like more modern rock with big bass, well produced, more polished. I do enjoy some classic rock . I just feel modern rock carries different then classic rock which I also like .I am new to all this any help is well appreciated.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 46
For your price range I think you have to consider the ATH-M40X too. It doesn't have that sense of being enveloped in a wave of bass goodness that you get with the DT770 though. It's not nearly as spacious sounding either. I'm listening on the DT770 as I write this -- True Life (Assemblage 23 Remix) -- and it's bliss.

Apr 23, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #13 of 46
I have the 32 ohm DT 770 and I like them, they should suit your needs but I do find them to be pretty sibilant. Not to the point of being painful to me, but they have a peak in the sibilance region, so they pick up sibilance and exacerbate it to a degree. I agree with the comment that they make poor recordings sound poor. They don't sugarcoat, which can be good or bad. They don't add that layer of warmth that makes everything sound easily listenable, but they're very honest and accurate in that regard which is something to appreciate. If you like brightness these should be a good option. I find the treble peak a little annoying personally, but not painful, and it's only there when that region gets too excited in a recording. Otherwise, the treble extends nicely and is clean and detailed. Maybe it won't bother you, but I don't know how it compares to other phones. I know the 990's and some Grados have it worse. That's my only gripe with the way these sounds but most would have to agree that they're a great headphone. The 80 ohm version supposedly has more bass, at least it used to.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #14 of 46
I always recommend XBA-N1AP for V shaped sound signature. The mid is not compromised but just slightly recessed.

Apr 23, 2018 at 11:51 PM Post #15 of 46
DT770 80ohm is what you're after, They play well out of the iphone. I'd not go the 32ohm route, the slightly higher ohm is the better sounding can.
If you could save up your budget a little more the DT990 is an even better option. You can find the all Black limited version around $160 bucks...Sure they need a little power behind them to get the best out of them, but save yourself the headache and just get a low cost Topping NX1s or even a Topping NX3..found for $40-$65..You don't need to spend big bucks on an amp, Trust me I've been down that route...Or you could go all out like me, and get a DT990, buy a Premium Headbow, Replace the Headband and Sliders with T70 parts and have the most comfortable cans you could ask for:)

10087011_thumb.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back