Best studio monitors for under $500? I'm not mixing either.
Sep 6, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #31 of 45
The thread is kinda old, but if you haven't pulled the trigger I'd recommend the Adam F5's.

The Adam F5's are unbelievably good, considering that they cost so little. Very balanced sound (as you should expect from monitors) and great all around detail. Imaging is great too. Their ribbon tweeters work magic. They outclass pretty much everything under $500.

They're pretty similar to the Airmotiv 5s' in more ways than one. The Airmotivs have more bass and less detail, but otherwise pretty comparable.

Sep 11, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #32 of 45
I was in this same boat a couple weeks ago trying to decide on a pair of studio monitors and ended up going with the JBL LSR-305's. Really enjoying them so far, haven't had experience with any other monitors so can't comment on how they compare.

I ended up getting mine from American Musical Supply on sale for $112 a piece. This came with their "starter pack" which actually worked out really well for me, came with isolation pads, a physical volume controller, and 4 xlr to trs cables for $224.99 plus free shipping. Just figured I would throw out my experience in case it helped at all.

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:55 AM Post #34 of 45
If any of you guys noticed, Emotiva lowered the price of the Airmotiv 5s to just $350. For that price is there even anything in its league? These will be my next monitors for sure. 

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:48 PM Post #35 of 45
yep there is plenty, you could get KRK RP5 g3, M-Audio BX5, JBL LSR305's, presonus eris 4.5, Behringer Truth 2030B, Mackie MR5 mk3 to name just a few options to look into.  The JBL's get rave reviews almost everywhere and if you can use rear ported you wont find much better for the money.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #36 of 45
Not mixing, I recommended the KRK RP8 G3. If you like bass, you get plenty but it won't smear into the mid-range. The HF is smooth not harsh. I love them for fun. Just crank them up and enjoy the music without being critical...it's party time.

I also own couple pairs of the KRK VTX 8. They are very coherent and well- balanced. They are a completed different animal. I listen to them mostly some piece of Jazz or vocals for more serious listening.

The JBL LSR 305 has tight bass with a typical horn loaded tweeter. The JBL LSR 308 is nice for near field or a bigger room but again if you are a fan of horn loaded tweeter, you will like them, especially at the going price. Some sax music sound a bit honky and coloration but I love the "bite" of the saxophone sound.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Sep 27, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #37 of 45
The JBL LSR 305 has tight bass with a typical horn loaded tweeter.

My understanding is that the LSR 305 does not have a typical horn tweeter--which normally implies a compression driver. But rather, it's a soft dome tweeter placed in a wave guide to create a bigger sweet spot. However, I could be wrong.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:41 AM Post #38 of 45
Try to get some HR824's MK1 at that price. You must give these the space they deserve though. I have them in a treated home room and it fills the room very nicely. Non fatiguing and excellent for movies, gaming and music.

Sep 28, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #39 of 45
@Cel4145, you are correct " Bi-amplified Studio Monitor with Magnetically-Shielded 8” Low Frequency Transducer and 1” Soft-Dome High Frequency Transducer and Image Control Wave Guide. Class-D 56 Watt RMS Amplifier for LF, and 56 Watt RMS Amplifier for HF. Balanced XLR and ¼” TRS Inputs with Detented Level Control, HF and LF Trim Controls." However, my perception of the sound from the LSR308 is very typical to the horn loaded tweeter whether due to its ICWG design or not, the HF reproduction has a  little resonance and honky and brassy as the horned loaded tweeter. Still at the running price, either the LSR305/LSR308 is among the best budget monitors. 

Around $500.00, the Mackie KRK RP 8G3 or the JBL lsr308 would be among the best choice.

Never heard the MK 1 Mackie , but in my treated room, the HR824 MK II and the Adam A8X are my best "hi-fi" monitors but they are well way above $500.00 so it is a moot point here.

Sep 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #40 of 45
  @Cel4145, you are correct " Bi-amplified Studio Monitor with Magnetically-Shielded 8” Low Frequency Transducer and 1” Soft-Dome High Frequency Transducer and Image Control Wave Guide. Class-D 56 Watt RMS Amplifier for LF, and 56 Watt RMS Amplifier for HF. Balanced XLR and ¼” TRS Inputs with Detented Level Control, HF and LF Trim Controls." However, my perception of the sound from the LSR308 is very typical to the horn loaded tweeter whether due to its ICWG design or not, the HF reproduction has a  little resonance and honky and brassy as the horned loaded tweeter. Still at the running price, either the LSR305/LSR308 is among the best budget monitors. 

Around $500.00, the Mackie KRK RP 8G3 or the JBL lsr308 would be among the best choice.

Never heard the MK 1 Mackie , but in my treated room, the HR824 MK II and the Adam A8X are my best "hi-fi" monitors but they are well way above $500.00 so it is a moot point here.

The Mk1 can be had for around $500-$700. I got mines for $600.

Sep 28, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #42 of 45
  Good deal, Zoom25. 

Yup. I pair that with Emotiva DC-1 (DAC + Pre-amp). For around $1000, it's an exceptional setup. The best thing about the 824s is they can fill the space effortlessly. With other monitors at that price range, they'll struggle with high SPL. Mackie's just breathe through it. Bass goes really deep as well. Those passive radiators at the back need careful placement and treatment, but once you nail it, you're in for a treat.

Sep 28, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #43 of 45
I may look into the Emo Dac- Preamp. Right now, I bypass all pre amp stuff. Straight from the AE D1 DAC analog output to the monitors, nothing in between. Thank you.

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #44 of 45
  I was in this same boat a couple weeks ago trying to decide on a pair of studio monitors and ended up going with the JBL LSR-305's. Really enjoying them so far, haven't had experience with any other monitors so can't comment on how they compare.

I ended up getting mine from American Musical Supply on sale for $112 a piece. This came with their "starter pack" which actually worked out really well for me, came with isolation pads, a physical volume controller, and 4 xlr to trs cables for $224.99 plus free shipping. Just figured I would throw out my experience in case it helped at all.

This is an awesome price for an excellent pair of studio monitors.  All the reviews I've read about the JBL LSR-305s have been great, good bang for the buck, and definitely the best bass if you can set them up right.  I didn't buy them as I didn't like the rear porting which would be smack bang against a wall in my home recording studio.  I had a pair of KRK Rokit 5s which have also been a great set of monitoring speakers for the price and get good reviews.  However, I eventually got some KRK VXT6s, which are awesome (http://www.studio-speakers.com/krk-vxt6-studio-monitor-review/).  They are a real step-up, but you're also paying 3x as much...  

Dec 16, 2016 at 12:26 AM Post #45 of 45

This is an awesome price for an excellent pair of studio monitors.  All the reviews I've read about the JBL LSR-305s have been great, good bang for the buck.  I didn't buy them as I didn't like the rear porting which would be smack bang against a wall in my home recording studio.  I had a pair of KRK Rokit 5s which have also been a great set of monitoring speakers for the price and get good reviews.  However, I eventually got some KRK VXT6s, which are awesome and have great reviews.  They are a real step-up, but you're also paying 3x as much...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back