Best streaming dap under 500$
May 21, 2017 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

matan124

New Head-Fier
Hey, I'm looking for a streaming dap around 500$-400$ with good sound quality.
I was thinking about buying the fiio x5 3rd gen but I read a lot of reviews saying it's sound quality not that good, is it still the best option? Or should I get the oppo ha2 instead of a dap?
My portable headphones are the oppo pm-3 and the noble X.
I'll be streaming from Apple Music or Tidal.

Tnx a lot

May 22, 2017 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 8
Or should I get the oppo ha2 instead of a dap?
My portable headphones are the oppo pm-3 and the noble X.
I'll be streaming from Apple Music or Tidal.

Depends on how you'll use it. If you use a DAP you'll use its WiFi to connect to the hom network or a smartphone with tethering. For the most part, Tidal will be as lossless as when using it directly from the phone.

If you use the HA2, the phone will have to be hooked up to it physically, so if you're planning on walking around while listening, this can be a PITA unless your pants pockets are large enough or you have a bag for the stack. And even then there's the cable connecting them either way.

You can wait for the Fiio Q5 Pro. It's like the HA2 but no iDevice specific port, but it has BT. Some compression when using Tidal with that but at least you can have the phone in one pocket and the Q5 Pro in the other, much like the X5III, but no need to deal with the X5III's UI.

May 22, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 8
Depends on how you'll use it. If you use a DAP you'll use its WiFi to connect to the hom network or a smartphone with tethering. For the most part, Tidal will be as lossless as when using it directly from the phone.

If you use the HA2, the phone will have to be hooked up to it physically, so if you're planning on walking around while listening, this can be a PITA unless your pants pockets are large enough or you have a bag for the stack. And even then there's the cable connecting them either way.

You can wait for the Fiio Q5 Pro. It's like the HA2 but no iDevice specific port, but it has BT. Some compression when using Tidal with that but at least you can have the phone in one pocket and the Q5 Pro in the other, much like the X5III, but no need to deal with the X5III's UI.

Good point, I'd rather have a dap then an amp/combo since it more comfortable.
Although my struggle was that I don't know if there are daps in my price range that have a close sound quality to the ha2.
From reviews many people said that the fiio x5 3rd gen sound quality is not that good.
Is it true or it is somewhat close to the ha2 sound quality?
I also won't use the dap mainly with wifi, I'm planning to use it on the go but I want to be able to download the songs from tidal or Apple Music and that's why I was a dap that support streaming.
So is there a good dap in my price range?

May 22, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #5 of 8
I really enjoy my Cayin i5 which runs android, has all of the wireless features, has a good amp/dac, sounds great and can stream, but there is not enough RAM to support some of the demanding apps needed to stream music on the android platform. (Tidal, AM, GP) I get a lot of buffer and the apps just run kind of slow and can annoy sometimes. -- I love my iBasso DX200 for streaming purposes because it runs smoothly, has all of the same features (and more), sounds good and has plenty of RAM to run these apps and even use other apps at the same time. ..However, unlike the i5 the DX200 is not in the sub $500 price range, it retails for $869+ although a local store here has them for $779 if that helps.

May 22, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #6 of 8
The Onkyo DP-X1 is a very nice Dap. I thought it sounded very good when I listened to it. It can stream and is a android platform. It also has balanced outs . Just one to look at.

May 23, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #7 of 8
Good point, I'd rather have a dap then an amp/combo since it more comfortable.
Although my struggle was that I don't know if there are daps in my price range that have a close sound quality to the ha2.
From reviews many people said that the fiio x5 3rd gen sound quality is not that good.
Is it true or it is somewhat close to the ha2 sound quality?
I also won't use the dap mainly with wifi, I'm planning to use it on the go but I want to be able to download the songs from tidal or Apple Music and that's why I was a dap that support streaming.
So is there a good dap in my price range?

If you're using IEMs it's highly, extremely unlikely that you'd get the X5III amplifier struggling enough to warrant the kind of amp circuit you'd get in the HA2.

What's left is channel separation plus the DAC and software - neutrality, channel separation, imaging, etc. Personally unless there's something really wrong, like the firmware messing it up, I'd doubt this is going to be audible when you're using it on the go. On top of which, if you're using streaming services, you'll be using base Android, not the one tweaked by Fiio, so there's less of like how the Ibasso players sound different from one firmware version to the next.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back