Best Stax for EDM/bass performance?
Dec 15, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #16 of 22
I wonder if the L700 isn't enough of an upgrade to warrant selling other headphones that i love now but would become redundant once I had a pair of those.... :D

Considering that I like entry-level 'stats more than virtually any other headphone tech (no matter how many thousands of dollars it costs), I'd say it'd be a wise move!

Jan 18, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #17 of 22
Thanks everyone for all the advice!

A lot has changed since I started this thread, I've performed the feedback mod on my SRM-727A, and I do see it as a significant improvement. I never realized how muddy and awful the bass was! There's always some music that sounds better the other way I guess, but the tighter, cleaner modded bass is a definite improvement for 90% of music. Besides my SR-Lambda Professional, I have an SR-407 and an L300 now. The 407 sounds amazing, but the L300 just isn't my cup of tea for myriad reasons.

I've been especially fiscally responsible over the last few months, and I'm planning on investing in a secondhand SR007 in the next couple weeks.

Has anybody used an SR-007 powered by a feedback modded SRM-727A? Is my amp powerful enough to drive the 007 satisfactorily? I know it isn't built with a ton of gain, but it's rated at 30V on the inputs. I can just use a preamp to raise the level pre-727. My Objective 2 is handling that duty for now, but I've been thinking about a getting a tube preamp (bought or DIYed) for variety. Wouldn't I be able to get all the volume I could ever need that way? 30V is a bit hotter than your average source.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #18 of 22
I'm running this setup for EDM listening on a Stax

Dave -> KGSSHV Carbon -> 007 mk II

It's surprising to me but I enjoy EDM on this setup just as much as the Abyss Phis

Feb 6, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #20 of 22
Was about to suggest the same. The 007 is hungry so need a good amp.

Feb 6, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #21 of 22
Thanks everyone for all the advice!

A lot has changed since I started this thread, I've performed the feedback mod on my SRM-727A, and I do see it as a significant improvement. I never realized how muddy and awful the bass was! There's always some music that sounds better the other way I guess, but the tighter, cleaner modded bass is a definite improvement for 90% of music. Besides my SR-Lambda Professional, I have an SR-407 and an L300 now. The 407 sounds amazing, but the L300 just isn't my cup of tea for myriad reasons.

I've been especially fiscally responsible over the last few months, and I'm planning on investing in a secondhand SR007 in the next couple weeks.

Has anybody used an SR-007 powered by a feedback modded SRM-727A? Is my amp powerful enough to drive the 007 satisfactorily? I know it isn't built with a ton of gain, but it's rated at 30V on the inputs. I can just use a preamp to raise the level pre-727. My Objective 2 is handling that duty for now, but I've been thinking about a getting a tube preamp (bought or DIYed) for variety. Wouldn't I be able to get all the volume I could ever need that way? 30V is a bit hotter than your average source.

If you can get a good price on a KGSSHV Carbon or even a regular KGSSHV, go for it and don't look back.

I've tried quite a large range of Stax amps in a local store and the KGSSHV smokes them all.

Mar 13, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #22 of 22
If you can get a good price on a KGSSHV Carbon or even a regular KGSSHV, go for it and don't look back.

I've tried quite a large range of Stax amps in a local store and the KGSSHV smokes them all.

Wait until you hear KG-T2.

I also want to answer the op question. The best Stax that does everything very well is KG-T2 and SR-009.

Bass fidelity and performances are unbelievable on this system. It always leave me speechless in EDM and everything else

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back