Best SS Amp for $500
Dec 18, 2003 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Jono3642

Head-Fier
I am assuming that people are thinking the XP7 is the number one right now

I just want to make sure this isn't the "flavor of the month syndrome" For those who have heard it, is this the best amp for $500. I don't need it for portability, I just want a great amp

Phones will be the HD-650 and source Linn Karik+Numerik

Dec 18, 2003 at 6:09 PM Post #2 of 21
I haven't heard it though I own the HR-2. I would think this comes down to a PPA, Gilmore, XP-7 comparison, which to some extent will vary by taste. One note though, the power supply for the XP-7 is 200 or so, so it's about 700 as a stationary amp unless you want to feed it batteries as well.

Dec 18, 2003 at 7:18 PM Post #3 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
I I would think this comes down to a PPA, Gilmore, XP-7 comparison, which to some extent will vary by taste.

What about the Cordas HA-1 and HA-1 MKII?

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:32 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by Axel
What about the Cordas HA-1 and HA-1 MKII?

I'm just not familiar with them myself, I didn't mean to slight them!
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 8:39 PM Post #5 of 21
The Gilmore V1 I had was a very good SS amp. You should be able to get one of these or the V2 for well under your 500.00 used. They come up fairly often on the gear for sale forum. Or run a wanted add. Good luck.

Dec 18, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 21
I got to listen to the PPA during a meet and thought it was pretty good for the money. It was hooked up to the Linn Ikemi so perhaps system matching is not a problem. The problem may be that the source was doing all the work
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 9:41 PM Post #8 of 21
Thats a choice only you can make.

Dec 18, 2003 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 21
You need to go to a meet and come up with your own "top dog." I find out lately that ppl around here always debate what's the best. There is no best, you just got to find what you like. Either go to a meet, or buy and try everything yourself. Cheers.

Dec 18, 2003 at 9:44 PM Post #10 of 21
That's a very subjective question and two people of reasonable mind may disagree. If you mention some of the things you are looking for in an amp, maybe we can point you in the right direction. Some differentiators, what music do you listen to? how loud? Are you a nut about soundstage? Are you a bass head? Do you want a very punchy amp? Do you want a warm midrange? Do you want accurate or euphonic sound? Do you like your amplifier to sound like you are on stage with the musicians or in the audience?

Dec 18, 2003 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 21
I completely agree that ideally that is the best situation.

But I missed the South Florida one and to be honest I just can't see myself driving all the way from Boca to Tampa Bay or Orlando. It's not that I don't think it would be worth it, I just don't have time

Also, there is no greater hassle than having to buy many amps, pick one and ship the others back, Lord help you if you scratch it.

So I will settle for what each of your personal fave headphone amp would be for $500, what would you get. It may not be perfect but that is the best I can do.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 9:50 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
The Gilmore V1 I had was a very good SS amp.

I disagree...

...it's an awesome SS amp!
biggrin.gif

Seriously, it compared very well with the Grace 901, which only had a slightly better control of the high end, but definitely not enough to warrant the price difference.

The Gilmore is a good option if you want as little coloration as possible in the amp, i.e. "just a wire with gain."

Dec 18, 2003 at 9:58 PM Post #13 of 21
As to G-Palmers question which was a great idea

I am definately not a bass head, but I like bass. You can't be without it if you no what I mean, I just don't want it to eclipse treble.

I hate treble harshness on any level, whether it be highs, anything grating turns me way off. The proximity of headphones makes the problem worse. Speakers I don't have the problem

I want a warm forgiving amp that does not sacriface by being laid back and losing detail. I quite like the in-your-head sound and don't want to feel detatched from the music. Intimate I suppose is the key word. I am not a fan of crossfeed but have only heard the crossfeed on headroom amps, only the Little Headroom amp to be honest.
So anyway, I want that combination of warm yet accurate and slightly forward. Not agressive, but forward.
Again I don't know if there is an amp that does this as I am basically describing what real sound is like. I guess my knowledge of headphone words is not up to stock.

In summary I want a natural amp that sounds like music sounds but is in no way analytical. And it has to work for most headphones, it can have a certain special synergy with a certain headphone, but I don't want my Sr-60's to sound terrible while my HD650's are brilliant.

I like all types of music really, nothing hardcore rock hardcore classical, even.

See what you can proscribe, do't be afraid to just guess, I won't hold you responsible, well not completely responsible
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 18, 2003 at 10:13 PM Post #14 of 21
Why not getting the "dinky knob" (Perreaux SXH-1) for 350.00 and put the other 150.00 on cables or source or whatever, I preffer the Perreaux to the Gilmore, and other members as well, and is 150.00 cheaper, with the HD600 according to the members that had used them, it is a good match, don't know about the 650, but I don't se any reason of why not.....
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
It sis a warm sounding amp, tubey sound, very nice detailed and powerful, very nice for the price, and 3 years warranty...

Dec 18, 2003 at 11:02 PM Post #15 of 21
I like the XP-7 and the Corda HA-2. Both handle all all the phones that I have very well. Their sonic signatures are very close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back