Best SQ Phish concert recordings?
Jan 23, 2007 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

dizzyorange

500+ Head-Fier
Anyone with suggestions for live Phish shows that have great SQ? The best I've heard yet is "A Live One". I have a a few livePhish# cds, but they still don't stack up to A Live One in terms of sonic purity. Instrument solos are so clean on that record that it makes you wonder if they dubbed over certain parts, although the flow certainly is seamless.

EDIT: I guess this belongs in the music forum, but feel free to respond anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 25
I find all the official releases to be quite good. Havent listened to A Live One since I went head-fi, but I do remember MSG NYE 95 to be pretty good. Maybe its just the music though.

You should check out the newly released 'Headphone Jam' from 2004. Definitely well recorded, although techinically a studio recording.

Jan 23, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #3 of 25
My understanding is ALO definitely does have overdubbing. The best phish concert recordings I've ever heard were done by a group called "Team Schoeps". 12/31/95 is certainly high on that list. Other things to search for are "BTP" and "robc" when searching for the very best recordings.

Jan 23, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should check out the newly released 'Headphone Jam' from 2004. Definitely well recorded, although techinically a studio recording.

Very cool, and available for download in FLAC. Thanks for the heads up Coltrane. I haven't listened to Phish in what feels like ages, I wonder if I'll still enjoy it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Phish Headphone Jam Download

I'll download it tonight and give it a listen.

Jan 23, 2007 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 25
personally, i wasn't impressed with the SQ of A Live One. it sounds flat and overloud to me.

but maybe i'm picky (or misremembering).

Jan 23, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #6 of 25
Well New Year's 95 is the best i've heard. I just got the Brooklyn DVD, and the flac off OiNK, and that is also really good.

Jan 23, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #7 of 25
On e-tree, etc., look for "SBD" (indicating soundboard-recorded). One in particular that I can think of that sounds great is "The Great Went", Limestone, ME, 8-17-97.

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SBD gets you ok recordings, but you don't get the feel for the show like you do with the recordings I was mentioning.

I'll be sure to check those out!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #10 of 25
I like the sound quality of the recent 'Live in Brooklyn' release.

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #11 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very cool, and available for download in FLAC. Thanks for the heads up Coltrane. I haven't listened to Phish in what feels like ages, I wonder if I'll still enjoy it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Phish Headphone Jam Download

I'll download it tonight and give it a listen.

Okay, so I'm listening to this right now, and its a total treat for my ears. I haven't listened to Phish in ages, and this is so well recorded: all the instruments are clearly separated, I can easily pick out Gordon's bass, Page's keys, Fishman's percussion is steady in the background, and Trey's guitar playing is actually restrained which is nice (Trey is a bit of an ego, for those who don't follow Phish), but still pleasant and of course technically proficient. Ah, Page is coming in with some organ sounds now! Cool.
evil_smiley.gif

If you are interested in a very well recorded, laid-back, jazzy-rock jam session, this is well worth your ten bucks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2007 at 4:45 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Hampton Comes Alive" stood out to me as a good recording. It really parallels the experience of being at one of their shows.

GOD that show is the fracking sickness. I lost all those CDs one by one somewhere along the way.

"dogs stole... things I needed bad. cats took... what I never had"

Plus a perfect Divided Sky. Whew!! I told myself I wasn't that into Phish anymore, and now I'm slipping again.
icon10.gif
Just ordered the remastered MSG 95, another nasty arena rock show.

Jan 26, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #14 of 25
For SQ Hampton Comes Alive is probably the best. But my fave live recording which is actually quite good is Nov 1996 Omaha. I am biased because this was my first time at a Phish concert!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back