Best Speakers for under $1000
Sep 2, 2012 at 10:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

FLUDD

New Head-Fier
What would be the best speakers for under $1000 for my computer that has a ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card?  I'm looking for a clear, colorful sound with a punchy bass.  I'm going to be right next to my computer 99% of the time so I don't care if the sound doesn't travel that far.  I'd prefer either 2.1 or 2.0 since I assume 5.1 would be lower quality speakers at this budget.  On my computer I will be doing virtually everything from music, movies, and gaming.
Would it be a good idea to buy >$1000 2.0 speakers and then upgrade to a very good subwoofer when I have the money?

Edit: I'd prefer a speaker that is smaller than 13'' tall, 13'' deep, and 20'' wide since that is was my desk will fit.

Edit: Also, for the subwoofer, not too big since there is little space to put it.  And what would be a good subwoofer to add on to a 2.0?  Something like this? http://www.klipsch.com/kw-120-thx-subwoofer

Sep 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:
What would be the best speakers for under $1000 for my computer that has a ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card?  I'm looking for a clear, colorful sound with a punchy bass.  I'm going to be right next to my computer 99% of the time so I don't care if the sound doesn't travel that far.  I'd prefer either 2.1 or 2.0 since I assume 5.1 would be lower quality speakers at this budget.  On my computer I will be doing virtually everything from music, movies, gaming, and audio editing.  
Would it be a good idea to buy >$1000 2.0 speakers and then upgrade to a very good subwoofer when I have the money?

http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/dynaudio-bm-12a-active-monitors-and-bmc-2--98318

Are nice

EDIT:you want dollars so its a diffrent price 

EDIT: so maybe these ? http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/adam-a7x-active-studio-monitor-pair--83366

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #3 of 14
Are the Dynaudio BMs worth the money and better then most of the mainstream speakers at the <$1000 price range?  And do these have a colorful, amazing sound or are they flat like most studio monitors?

Sep 3, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:
Are the Dynaudio BMs worth the money and better then most of the mainstream speakers at the <$1000 price range?  And do these have a colorful, amazing sound or are they flat like most studio monitors?

Most Studio monitors are flat EQ for the true sound and many diffrent ways you can EQ them.. 
I have heard good things about Dynaudio, Its difficult to be dissapointed at that price range but they are definitly worth looking into

Sep 5, 2012 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 14
just wait a min, kef just introduced something what makes me nervous!

http://www.kef.com/html/us/showroom/digital_music_solutions/x300a/fact_sheets/X300A_group/X300A/index.html

Dec 25, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #10 of 14
I heard the PSB imaging mini is amazing, Jude did a nice review on them and he strongly recommends thoes pair. They are within your budget and I too are looking forward to getting them, PSB iamaging mini or KEF LS-50.

Dec 26, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 14
I,m saving up for some KRK VXT6 Monitors. Right at your budget, and WOW , do they sound great!

Dec 26, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #13 of 14
I had the same dilemma not long ago. The main issue is that near field monitors are not good enough for gaming or movies, and 2.0 speakers are not that small for desktops, so keep in mind speaker footprint before buy anything. 

IMO
2.1 Harman Kardon Soundsticks III
2.0 Emotiva Airmotiv 5 or 6 (It depends how big is your desktop), AudioEngine A5+, etc

Dec 26, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 14
I have the Emotiva Airmotiv 4s and the Adam ARTist 3s and both are great. I specifically wanted desk speakers that were both small and had a high level of clarity. The only problem with both is that they are rear-ported, so my desk set-up, a foot from the wall and window behind, produces something of a subwoofer effect. This I had to solve by plugging the ports 90% with foam. I'd definitely consider front-ported or sealed speakers in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back