Best speakers for 600
Jun 23, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #16 of 40
B&W 685 may not be the best choice if you are looking for bass. (imho). But you can add a sub to it later.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #17 of 40

Quote:
B&W 685 may not be the best choice if you are looking for bass. (imho). But you can add a sub to it later.

True, though good subs that mate well with speakers are very expensive. It'll easily cost $500+ to supplement the 685's low-end sufficiently with a subwoofer that doesn't shout attention to itself.

Jun 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #18 of 40
I'd suggest looking at Infinity's current Primus series since a new series is coming out soon.  Yesterday, I purchased a pair of brand-new Primus P362 floorstanding speakers for $260.00.  Haven't even pick them up yet.  I already have some respectable bookshelf speakers, i.e. Energy Connoisseur C-3 and Monitor Audio Bronze B2, but these Infinity's are on another level after hearing them in action.  The Infinity's are rated at 93 dB so they are very efficient....I can see a tube amp im future.

Jun 23, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #19 of 40

Quote:
I'd suggest looking at Infinity's current Primus series since a new series is coming out soon.  Yesterday, I purchased a pair of brand-new Primus P362 floorstanding speakers for $260.00.  Haven't even pick them up yet.  I already have some respectable bookshelf speakers, i.e. Energy Connoisseur C-3 and Monitor Audio Bronze B2, but these Infinity's are on another level after hearing them in action.  The Infinity's are rated at 93 dB so they are very efficient....I can see a tube amp im future.

The Infinity Primus series is definitely very good for the money. I owned a humble pair of Primus P152s and preferred them over Audioengine's A5 active monitors. However I did find the Primus sounded very distinctly like home theater speakers rather than audiophile speakers, and that the Eras and AV123s are in a different class altogether. The P362 are an insane deal with the Newegg price cuts on them but they just can't compete with the $600 (used or new) bookshelves except in bass extension and quantity.

Jul 14, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #21 of 40
If "need bass" is important, then some sort of dual woofer floor standing speakers is going to be your best bet. I had a set of Energy e:XL  floor standing speakers that were pretty awesome in terms of bass extension, reliably going down to about 35Hz as confirmed by in-room plots, even without much corner enforcement - they were placed at least 8 feet from the nearest wall.

I also have a pair of the Onix Reference 1 MKII's, driven by an Onix SP3 amp. It's a very nice speaker, with surprisingly rich bass given its small woofer size. But it probably won't satisfy the "need bass" requirement.

Jack

Jul 14, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #23 of 40
Quote:
Era Design 5 vs Onix Reference 1 MKII vs Martin Logan Motion 4 vs B&W 685
how are the adam a5 there in my price range

The Era D5s will have the most bass, followed by the Ref 1 MKIIs, followed by the Motion 4s. Don't recollect the 685 very well.

I think the Ref 1s are the best options for their overall response. They are good down to about 42Hz. The Era Design 5 sound more full though without the sub, but don't have as good of a top-to-bottom representation. IMO of course.

Remember the Onix's were designed to retail at $1200-1500 and competed well at that price point when they were there. They are in a slightly higher league.

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #24 of 40

Quote:
Quote:

The Era D5s will have the most bass, followed by the Ref 1 MKIIs, followed by the Motion 4s. Don't recollect the 685 very well.

I think the Ref 1s are the best options for their overall response. They are good down to about 42Hz. The Era Design 5 sound more full though without the sub, but don't have as good of a top-to-bottom representation. IMO of course.

Remember the Onix's were designed to retail at $1200-1500 and competed well at that price point when they were there. They are in a slightly higher league.

well looks like the Refs unless someone else has a subjection. I might increase my budget if my newly started job goes well, probably to 1k

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:27 PM Post #25 of 40
**** the onix references are discontinued
http://forums.av123.com/showthread.php?p=764169
looks like it's the Era 5s
going to buy next month so i doubt i could really find a used one then, unless the bravos are any good

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #26 of 40

Quote:

well looks like the Refs unless someone else has a subjection. I might increase my budget if my newly started job goes well, probably to 1k

The only other option I can think of in that range is the Ascend Sierra-1. They have a reputation just as good as the Ref1s and sound a little more laid back. The two are on the same level and compete very well in the sub-$2000 speaker range. I believe the Sierra-1s are due for a refresh soon with a new tweeter that should improve the treble response.

Jul 14, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #27 of 40

Quote:
**** the onix references are discontinued
http://forums.av123.com/showthread.php?p=764169
looks like it's the Era 5s
going to buy next month so i doubt i could really find a used one then, unless the bravos are any good

Era D5s were also recently discontinued.
wink_face.gif
They are going to be very hard to find new, nevermind at $600 or less.

The Ref1s come up used far more often than the D5s do. The D5s go for around $450-600 used, where the Ref1s go for $400-500.

EDIT: Speak of the devil, there's a D5 on Audiogon right now you might wanna pick up: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrmoni&1284343455

Also, what are you going to be using to drive the speakers?

Jul 15, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #29 of 40

Quote:
Era D5s were also recently discontinued.
wink_face.gif
They are going to be very hard to find new, nevermind at $600 or less.

The Ref1s come up used far more often than the D5s do. The D5s go for around $450-600 used, where the Ref1s go for $400-500.

EDIT: Speak of the devil, there's a D5 on Audiogon right now you might wanna pick up: http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrmoni&1284343455

Also, what are you going to be using to drive the speakers?

wow lol, I'm going to use a computer going through an amp/dac, i'll research the
Sierra-1 and Energy RC10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back