Best Speakers for $100 or less?
Jan 10, 2006 at 4:14 AM Post #16 of 30
It's better to get a couple of bookshelves + T amp than the 2.1 pc setup imo. Computer speakers just can't compete with regular bookshelves plus the subs will overpower the satelites.

The creative ones are ok. Logitech and Klipsch have overpowering bass imo.

Jan 10, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #17 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joey_V
Go to hardforum.com for computer audio stuff... also, please dont make 3 of the same threads. It doesnt make sense and just annoys people.

I wasn't going to but I was not able to edit the title, and I couldn't edit it to say "around" $100, and then when I found out that people did not see that I said "computer speakers" in the title, I made one saying computer speakers.

Jan 11, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #20 of 30
Just save your money, your close enough to getting somthing pretty good. The Swans M200 are 179$ and are not crappy. Look for them at Newegg.com

(This photo is not remote linked)
36-136-102-08.JPG

Jan 11, 2006 at 6:48 AM Post #21 of 30
Sam's Club has a good deal on Bose Media Mates. This model has been replaced by a newer version. Retail was $100. Sams sells them for $60 / pair.

Here is a picture (the ones at Sams are black)...

B00006AL0S.01-AIWHEFKG4HT6N._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

These are powered speakers. And best of all, they have dual inputs for both your computer and an external source [there is even a balance control to blend the two sources so you can hear system messages on the same speakers that are playing an external MP3/iPod].

They also come with two audio cables: mini-to-RCA and RCA-to-RCA.

I think they are a good deal for the money.

Jan 11, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #22 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alwayswantmore
Sam's Club has a good deal on Bose Media Mates. This model has been replaced by a newer version. Retail was $100. Sams sells them for $60 / pair.

Here is a picture (the ones at Sams are black)...

B00006AL0S.01-AIWHEFKG4HT6N._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

These are powered speakers. And best of all, they have dual inputs for both your computer and an external source [there is even a balance control to blend the two sources so you can hear system messages on the same speakers that are playing an external MP3/iPod].

They also come with two audio cables: mini-to-RCA and RCA-to-RCA.

I think they are a good deal for the money.

No, no, no, no, no.

Bose are a ripoff at virtually any price, especially their entirely meritless "multimedia" speaker line.

Get a T-Amp and some bookshelf speakers and call it a day. You're not going to get hi-fi speaker sound for that budget, but you can do a hell of a lot better than Bose.

Jan 11, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #23 of 30
just say NO TO

Code:

Code:
[left]B O S E U T O Q Y H U U E N I R D P M E N T[/left]

Jan 11, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #24 of 30
Oh goodness.... a bose recommendation?
eek.gif

Jan 11, 2006 at 3:38 PM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeW
Just save your money, your close enough to getting somthing pretty good. The Swans M200 are 179$ and are not crappy. Look for them at Newegg.com

(This photo is not remote linked)
36-136-102-08.JPG

these are the only non-crappy powered computer speakers i've heard.

Jan 11, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander
I think $60/pair is a very unBOSE-styled price, so why not?

Because the typical price/performance Bose ratio still applies. They're even worse than their contemporaries at that pricepoint, which is saying a lot.

Jan 13, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcapurro
I'm lucky enough to have a friend who owns these:
http://www.passlabs.com/speakers/rushmore.htm

I get to hear them a few times/month... Oh yea. Nothing like a $45,000 pair of powered speakers. Mmmm.

well those look scrumptious.

note that i said "non-crappy powered computer speakers."

i wouldn't classify a powered tower with a 15" woofer as a computer speaker.
biggrin.gif

there are quite a few powered speakers, including studio monitors from M-Audio, Paradigm and towers from Meridien, which are pretty darn impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back