Best Speaker Set for Music and Video Games under $400
Oct 29, 2015 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Kestrel452

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I've had Bose Companion 2 Series II speakers for a couple years now, and was never impressed with them. I've taken a look at the audioengine a2+, but they don't have an SPDIF input. I have both an HDMI and SPDIF port on my motherboard I'd like to take advantage of for better sound than just a 3.5mm jack.

What 2.1 system can I stick on my desk to give a lot better sound than these Bose, and still stay under $400? I've seen past threads where larger speakers with an interface have been recommended, but I'd like something more plug and play that will fit on a desk.

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 11
You're much better off building a system than getting a 2.1 drop in computer speaker set.  For $400 you can get a decent DAC, perhaps the Schiit Modi 2 Uber which has a SPDIF input.  You can also afford a cheap power amp (I can't recommend any due to a lack of experience), Dayton subwoofer or another good budget one, and a good passive speaker set.  Perhaps Andrew Jones Pioneer BS22?

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:42 AM Post #3 of 11
I guess there's really no problem with building a system as long as it's not going to take up a huge amount of space. I was picturing speakers larger than the size of my head when envisioning a self-made speaker combo. I've never actually done that before, and have no idea how (shouldn't be rocket science, though).

What equipment will I need, and what do you guys recommend?

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #4 of 11
You'd end up getting a small DAC, small power amp, and normal sized bookshelf speakers so size shouldn't be an issue I hope.  

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks for clarifying. Can you or any of the other knowledgeable gentlemen here point me towards some specific pieces of hardware, or an audio shop will have people able to help me pick out components?

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:59 AM Post #6 of 11
Employees at an audio store will probably constantly recommend stuff out of your price range.  A good place to start would be the Schiit Modi 2 Uber DAC, Andrew Jones Pioneer BS22 speakers, Dayton SUB-800 subwoofer.  The only thing I left out is a power amp or integrated amp since I'm not familiar with many.

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #7 of 11
A JBL LSR305 speaker pair (which seems to be the most recommended) goes for $250 on Amazon, it seems their price has dropped a bit. How are those compare to the Pioneer? Can I hook them up via SPDIF?

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 11
A JBL LSR305 speaker pair (which seems to be the most recommended) goes for $250 on Amazon, it seems their price has dropped a bit. How are those compare to the Pioneer? Can I hook them up via SPDIF?

SPDIF would go into a DAC (like the Schiit Modi 2 Uber I recommended), the DAC would connect to either powered speakers like the LSR305, or a power amp or integrated amp, both with dual RCA analog connectors.

The JBL LSR305 is powered, meaning it has its own amplifiers so an external amp isn't needed.  But you're going to need a more rare device that will allow you to use it along with a subwoofer.  I think the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 can do it, I'll confirm when I get home since I have one.

Oct 29, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #9 of 11
Agree with Rhamnetin, computer speaker sets are somewhat like HTiBs. 

I myself am using the Pioneer Andrew Jones, and am slowly upgrading piece by piece as i save money.

Just upgraded to SVS subwoofer.

Oct 30, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #10 of 11
SPDIF would go into a DAC (like the Schiit Modi 2 Uber I recommended), the DAC would connect to either powered speakers like the LSR305, or a power amp or integrated amp, both with dual RCA analog connectors.

The JBL LSR305 is powered, meaning it has its own amplifiers so an external amp isn't needed.  But you're going to need a more rare device that will allow you to use it along with a subwoofer.  I think the Maverick Audio Tubemagic D1 can do it, I'll confirm when I get home since I have one.

I read somewhere that these matching subs can just splice into the main speakers' feed line, and don't need their own separate output from a controller??

http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/recording-broadcast/3-series/lsr310s#.VjNw33o8KK0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back