**best source for my setup??**
Feb 6, 2012 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MattTCG

Headphoneus Supremus
I am currently using the control pod for my Klipsch promedia 5.1 system to power my headphones. It simply sounds "amplified." Louder with more bass. I assume that it has some sort of headphone amp built into the control pod. When plugged into the line out of my on board sound card the sound is "weaker."

Baring purchasing a dac/amp, would it benefit me to run an optical cable to a receiver that I have and use the receiver as my amp for the headphones? Yes, I know that a decent fiio would only run about $80 but the receiver was about $400 and I just wondered if it would sound better...

thanks

Feb 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 8
Depends on your model. My headphones sound definitely different and better when i plug them into my av receiver instead of a mediocre PC surround systems headphone output.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Crappy headphones for 20$ wouldn't sound better with a good receiver than they do on an ipod. The better the headphones the more you notice a difference. I don't think it would be worse than on your Klipsch, get an optical cable and try it out.

Feb 7, 2012 at 6:49 PM Post #5 of 8
Okay, so I got everything setup. I decided to connect an old cd changer to the receiver....because

1. I don't have an optical cable long enough to reach the pc 
2. I wanted to listen to several albums "uncompressed" and see if there was any difference

Well, its definitely better. Highs and mids are more detailed and articulate. The bass is less boomy but tighter...overall for the better. 

Now if I find the longer optical cable and plug the receiver into my computer, will it still sound this good? Or will the output of the sound be different when played through the pc? I know it will theoretically be different if I'm playing mp3's, but would it sound the same if I'm playing cd's on the pc?

thanks...

Feb 7, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #6 of 8
There should be no difference. File formates make a difference but FLAC files or other lossless audio would sound as good as played from a cd. But that has nothing to do with the connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back