Best Source for music?
Apr 16, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #18 of 51
Perfectly ripped lossless in EAC thank-you. That equals CD.

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #19 of 51
Other > SACD

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #20 of 51
Other -> VINYL!

Though SACD is pretty damn good and so is well-recorded Red Book.

But if you really want to screw with the RIAA and Big Music, buy a turntable from a small manufacturer and buy used vinyl. 100% legal and zero income for the jerkoffs.

Apr 17, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #21 of 51
Why the hell would anyone bring up CDs & SACD? The poll is 'Best source for computer tracks?', which is probably lossless[SQ-wise] or something lossy for practicality.

I suppose you could play either on a computer optical drive.

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:24 PM Post #23 of 51
other: CD's for me. Just wish more recordings were of better SQ.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 17, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #24 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chri5peed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why the hell would anyone bring up CDs & SACD? The poll is 'Best source for computer tracks?', which is probably lossless[SQ-wise] or something lossy for practicality.

I suppose you could play either on a computer optical drive.

That and the title of the thread is "Best Source for Music".
The poll is slightly different.

Apr 17, 2008 at 7:18 PM Post #25 of 51
^ Shouldn't have different titles at all then, asking for misinterpretation.

Besides the poll options kind of tell you what kind of audio is it.

A good 60-70% of my FLACs come from personally ripped/bought CDs w/EAC actually. The poll is missing torrents.

Apr 18, 2008 at 5:53 PM Post #27 of 51
Other --> emusic for convenience/variety; CD for SQ

Where I want the best SQ, I will buy the CD, but to try new artists, or if I like something but don't want to splurge, emusic is my source.

I am quite surprised you didn't list emusic in the poll. Files are well ripped in VBR MP3, with no annoying DRM. The service is entirely legal, and artists get paid (more than with CDs, from what I read). And it's quite reasonable. I joined a couple of years ago, and I get 40 tracks/month for $10/mo. I think the current deal is 30 tracks/$10/mo. Mostly indie labels, although lots of well-known bands too (they just got Rolling Stones!). I have found lots of artists I like but otherwise never would have heard of. Reviews/lists/compilations by people who seem to know what they're talking about (some in-house, some guests, some All Music Guide).

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #29 of 51
usenet

Apr 19, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #30 of 51
I love properly ripped lossless torrents...from the food places.

It is possible to burn EAC-ripped files onto a blank CD[with .cue file], then burn the CD and have the resultant ripped files match w/ the AccurateRip dB. I did it to see.

Although do not rely on this, plenty of minute errors can creep in. Actually even shop-bought CDs sometimes do not produce identical rips.

This is a reason for all EACs[apparently too many] settings, they may be intangible, but they add to perfect ripping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back