Best Soundtrack to Computer/Console Game?
Oct 9, 2001 at 11:29 PM Post #31 of 48
No contest...
Star Control II! Killer combat/dialogue music with frequency sweep graph in the little corner. This is also before red-book audio for games was used much and instead it uses MOD type music tech.

And music that perfectly fit the dialogue/situation. Plus the game r00lz as an all-time favorite. MW2 has good music but IMO the music was far better than the game would ever be.

Oh and if you can get the MOD rips for that game let me know.

Oct 10, 2001 at 12:10 AM Post #32 of 48
All of these are for the old Amstrad 464:

1) Superkid
2) Skatin' USA
3) Superkid In Space

But only because I composed the soundtracks for them, heeheehee
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2001 at 5:21 AM Post #35 of 48
I'll suggest the Unreal soundtrack (well I don't have the soundtrack but I have all of the tracks ripped from the cd into mods which I painfully converted into waves then to CD and mp3)...

Also the Myth soundtracks are good, orchesteral.

Oct 22, 2001 at 12:29 AM Post #36 of 48
I have about 60 import videogame soundtracks here. I am a big import gamer on PSx/PS2/DC

Some best ones comes to mind are
(OST= official soundtrack)

Dance Dance revolution 2nd OST
Dance Dance revolution 3rd OST
Dance Dance revolution 4th OST
Dance Dance revolution 5th OST
Dance Dance revolution SOLO 2000 OST

BeatmaniaIIDX3rd style
BeatmaniaIIDX4th style
BeatmaniaIIDX5th style

Xenogear OST
FFX OST ( 4 cd sets)
Phantasy Star Online OST
Grandia2 OST
Jet set Radio OST

guilty gear x OST(heavy metal variation)
Virtual On Oratorio Tangram DNA Side Official Sound Data
Virtual On Oratorio Tangram RNA Side Official Sound Data

Sonic Adventure 2 OST

Biohazard 2 OST ( this game in USA is known as Resident evil)

ParaPara Paradise OST.

and some others I cant recall right now
smily_headphones1.gif

Tides

Oct 22, 2001 at 12:34 AM Post #37 of 48
I forgot to say the upcoming Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 for PS2 also has one ass kicking Soundtrack !

Cant wait for THPS3 on PS2, coming OCt 30th and it is ONLINEPLAYABLE ~!
smily_headphones1.gif

I already set up my USB ethernet adaptor with my PS2 hooked up to my home Lan router. Cant wait to see the light for that port to *blink*~!
cool.gif

Tides

Oct 22, 2001 at 2:33 AM Post #38 of 48
STAR CONTROL II!!!!! HECKKKK YEAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Yehat!! *promptly has a religious experience with the Quasispace music*

Also, the Diablo II and Diablo II Expansion were nice.....and you can't forget StarCraft!!

Half-Life, Homeworld, oh man, both are in my "music CD". And that Yes song RAWKS!

Anyways, I would have to vote for Independence War II... some of the best violin/electronica mix stuff I've heard..... oh mannnn.....

Dec 22, 2001 at 1:11 AM Post #39 of 48
Thought I'd bring this up again to tote my newly arrived FFX soundtrack.
biggrin.gif

I'm just going through the first disc right now, and I must say I'm very impressed. This is a big change from what I heard on the FF7 four disc set, which was mostly synthesized music, and very noticeably so. I felt pretty disappointed with the FF7 soundtrack...paying $50 for computerized music ain't my cup of tea. The music on the FFX set is definitely more realistic sounding, and sounds much less synthesized, if at all. It sounds as if they utilized real instruments to do this one.

I see why people say it's such a mixed bag as well...I mean, they totally remixed the Prelude into funky beats instead of the normal calm flow that it is. And ROCK music in a Final Fantasy soundtrack?!? I'll have to play the game to see where that rock track, "Otherworld", on the first disc falls into the gameplay, but good grief...IMO, I think it just spoils the whole serene, flowy music that normally comes with RPG games. I'm glad that it was only one track that was rock...the rest is more like what I expected from an RPG soundtrack; serene, haunting, and beautiful, with an occasional adrenaline rush thrown in. Track 15, "Al Bhed Tribe's Chi", particularly caught my ears...really beautiful track.

So far, it's shaping up really well though...can't wait to get to the other discs. Thanks to Tidus for convincing me to get it!

Dec 22, 2001 at 1:30 AM Post #40 of 48
Since I've listened to it for awhile now, let me officially add the soundtrack to American McGee's Alice to the list. This is such a cool soundtrack, very original, good recording. I made a thread awhile ago about it, go check it out for more of my impressions.

Dec 22, 2001 at 1:53 AM Post #41 of 48
Final Fantasy I-VII were huge favs of mine as well as Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario 3, Y's III: wanderers of Y's and many others...i have over 75 videogame soundtracks and still collect them if i find something i want. One of my newest favorites is Eternal Arcadia.

George
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 22, 2001 at 4:46 AM Post #42 of 48
I haven't played games in a while, but my favorites are:

- Star Control II: that MOD-based music is still great!
- Final Fantasy VI: great music
- Final Fantasy Pray / Love Will Grow: vocal versions of Final Fantasy music
- Crystalis: I have a soft spot for this game; pretty epic music given the limitations of the NES
- Betrayal at Krondor: subtle, but works really well within the game

Dec 22, 2001 at 6:00 PM Post #43 of 48
Quote:

edog said...

- Crystalis: I have a soft spot for this game; pretty epic music given the limitations of the NES

YES! This was one of my favorite games for the NES, and seemed like one of the most under-appreciated games as well. I really wish they would revive this game.

Hey, general question: What's the best online place to buy game soundtracks (old & new) from?

Dec 22, 2001 at 7:46 PM Post #45 of 48
Hey KR..., when you want to post pics from your Yahoo image space, why don't you just post the link to the picture instead of posting the image itself, since nobody else can automatically see your pictures? It's annoying having to get the URL of the pic and copy-and-paste it into the browser to be able to see what you're talking about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back