Best soundstage
Dec 1, 2007 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

nin3th

100+ Head-Fier
What would you say is the best set up for soundstage? IYO, regardless of cost.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 13
But if you must wear headphones, in my own personal experience I'm gonna say Sony ECR-500.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #5 of 13
Earbuds.

Just goes to show, everyone's ears are different.

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Earbuds.

Just goes to show, everyone's ears are different.

So are we talking about in-head or out-of-head imaging?

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 13
It's both more in-head and more out-of-head than full sized cans to my ears. Though I'm most impressed with the out-of-head imaging and soundstage. It's much bigger and more convincing than any full size phone I've heard. It's not any particular earbud, either. All the ones I've tried have had this feature for me.

I think this is a good example of why people should find others who share their hearing and tastes and take advice from them, since there is no hard and fast "best" in many areas of this great hobby.

Dec 1, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 13
K1000, but the most precise was the Sony qualia.

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #11 of 13
I am not sure that people agree on what "soundstage means." Fundamentally you are dealing with a stero image which the brain puts together based on differences between the signals to the left and right ears to localize voices and instruments in space.

Contrary to some opinions, headphones provide a truer avenue to the stereo in the audio signal because they keep the left signal in the left ear and right signal in the right ear. With speakers you get 2 "phantom channels" in which the right signal goes to the left ear and vice versa, after a delay of a few milliseconds. These have no correspondance to reality and are really a form of distortion.

Having got that out of the way, just about any set of phones will give you a clear stereo image. Factors affecting the clarity and precision of the image are probably more based on the quality of the source, i.e. things like channel separation giving a wider image and possible more clearly localized sounds. Phase problems between channels blurring the location of sounds etc.

However, I find that some frequency response characteristics can change aspects of the stereo imaging. For example phones lacking in bass or midbass may reproduce less of the ambience of a signal, therby making the stereo image dry and less convincing.

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:25 AM Post #12 of 13
SR-007. Unmatched by any headphone I have heard...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back