Best sounding VST Mastering EQ: Share your experience!
Aug 14, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #31 of 36
forget anything that was recorded with more than one mic to avoid the EQ poison caused by mixing
this really doesnt matter as the artist was happy with the result, tho i guess it matters if the dac of the studio was using minimal vs linear phase for example

just get a guitar and play your own stuff...
well straight into an amp that would be probably the most pure way to do it
unfortunaly there isnt the perfect solution to this problem as each solution has its own flaws, in the end one can just try and see if he hears a difference and what he prefers

Aug 14, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #32 of 36
1. Linear Phase (FIR) has audible preringing
No, it very rarely does. If it’s extreme EQ, say a filter with a steep slope and/or a high Q AND within the audio band then it can be audible, as your referenced video demonstrates.
2. Minimum Phase (IIR) has audible phaseshifts
Again no, it very rarely does and there are specific conditions required to make it audible.
3. be careful with Linear Phase preringing, resampling, equalizer plugins and the reconstruction filter of the dac can all 3 introduce preringing if all are linear phase, which will "add up"
That is not possible. A reconstruction filter is an analogue filter, which cannot be a linear phase filter. Also, unless you set an EQ plugin to the same frequency as a resampling filter, then they won’t “add up” and why would you set an EQ plugin that way?
4. imo its best to use a minimum phase filter on the dac since there will be no EQ which can introduce phaseshifts
A minimum phase filter is a type of EQ and therefore can/will introduce phase shift. Whether it’s audible will depend on where in the spectrum the roll-off starts. In the case of 44.1kHz material then a linear phase filter is preferable, as there is no phase shift and any pre-ringing (if there is any) will be low in magnitude (very quiet) and near the filter cut-off point (22.05kHz) so would be inaudible even if it were loud. In the case of higher sample rates/oversampling DACs, then a minimum phase filter won’t make any difference, as the filter will be less steep and the phase therefore less shifted, and it’s going to be in the ultrasonic (inaudible) range anyway. That’s why oversampling ADCs and DACs were invented in the first place.
5. use linear phase on EQ to keep the phase linear as you change frequencys with filters
Again, that all depends what sort of filter you use and where in the spectrum you use it. As your video demonstrates, a linear phase EQ with a steep filter in the lower frequency ranges can be quite audible. So a linear phase EQ wouldn’t be suitable as say a bass management crossover or some/most other HPF uses.
Conclusion: Take your poison, both can be quite bad depending on the EQ applied (but imo even mild EQ`s already show both effects quite well (if you know what to listen for))
Actual conclusion should be: It doesn’t make any audible difference most of the time. However, a linear phase filter in the lower frequencies can sometimes be audible and a linear phase EQ of any sort will use a great deal more processing power, so it’s generally best avoided unless you have a specific reason to use it.

You posted a video as reference but don’t seem to have understood it or have misunderstood it, as in places you are misapplying it or effectively contradicting your own reference.

G

Aug 14, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #33 of 36
Conclusion, forget anything that was recorded with more than one mic to avoid the EQ poison caused by mixing. Never band limit anything, never listen to any album that got resampled, just get a guitar and play your own stuff...
Ringing is actually used as feature to make certain alterings pleasing. Some plugins has intentionally implemented this feature. We are talking about engineers here not the casual listener at home.

If ringing occurs to the downside it will show by choking the music out: soundstage and the air.

Maybe thats why I don´t like other EQ than the Sonnox Oxford EQ :wink: - and the processing on cards instead of CPU has a big factor of improvement. Yes sir!

___

At the end of the day we should be careful by concluding anything on paper rather than the ear. Its a bad sport. If ears can not see how eq works and sound...leave them

__

Im trying to say is Linear or minimum. I have had bad experience with both. Compromises in numbers on paper may have improvement on the hardware itself speaker or headphone.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #34 of 36
If ringing occurs to the downside it will show by choking the music out: soundstage and the air.
I presume you mean post-ringing? It doesn’t show by choking the music out, the ringing is added to the signal.
Maybe thats why I don´t like other EQ than the Sonnox Oxford EQ …
Why? Do you like the music being “choked out”? The Sony EQ is standard minimum phase just like every other EQ and minimum phase has more post-ringing than linear phase EQ.
and the processing on cards instead of CPU has a big factor of improvement. Yes sir!
The processing on cards is on CPUs, the CPUs (DSP chips) on the card. So how can processing on a CPU have a big improvement factor over processing on a CPU?
At the end of the day we should be careful by concluding anything on paper rather than the ear. It’s a bad sport.
EQ plugins don’t run by ear they run by executing mathematical functions on a CPU.

G

Oct 5, 2023 at 3:25 AM Post #35 of 36
Found again my Izotope Ozone old version that worked with JRiver...It sounded good again. Thinking dropping Roon...

The TBs are ToneBooster.

1696490670620.png

Feb 7, 2024 at 5:10 AM Post #36 of 36
fab filter can do this too i think, its called "linear phase"

the one im (and EasyEffects) is using is this one: https://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals&section=para_equalizer_x32_stereo
its also available as VST2, so it should work

if you try this, you can also compare IIR vs FIR vs FFT vs SPM, they all have a somewhat different sound signature... i first liked SPM the most but i recently switched back to "old good" FIR for linear phase, it has a somewhat more natural tone to it imo, they are all better then IIR what most EQ`s use tho

for most settings of each filter i would use APO(DR) (specially if you import headphone corrections for example, depending on the mode the filter curve is different!)

but if you filter 20-40hz i would use RLC ... the APO curve gets kinda choppy under 40hz

... this lsp-plug EQ is probably one of the most comprehensive free ones i think
para_equalizer_x32_stereo.png
Hello! Very interesting. I would love to try it with Jriver in windows 11 connected to Tidal. I see you mention the VST version and It seems mentioned also in the LSP site. However I am not capable to find the VST plug in that would be compatible with windows. I have found the linux version. Any idea? Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back