Best sounding VST Mastering EQ: Share your experience!
Jun 2, 2023 at 8:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

OCC7N

Headphoneus Supremus
If you have Jriver I can strongly recommend using the DSP section and add the Sonnox Oxford EQ

Its just better, it just makes the headphones sound better and not limiting sucking out the air of the soundstage.

If you like me building your own computer and using it as streamer get the Sonnox(Native or DSP). Well Im speaking on behalf of the DSP experience I am just witnessing in my own setup. Worth all the effort!

UAD-2 Solo cost me around 90dollars used. After the Sonnox demo(14days) I purchased the DSP version for 80 dollars(300dollars normally).
1685709781931.png

1685709537674.png

Share you experience with EQ or a general talk on using VST.

____

*Requirements for best performance use ASIO and buffering at 25ms

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 36
I really like using Fab Filter Pro-Q 3. I load it into MusicBee and the dynamic capabilities are very powerful. Plus, the UI is very nice and I like the real-time spectrum analyzer.

Jun 3, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 36
I really like using Fab Filter Pro-Q 3. I load it into MusicBee and the dynamic capabilities are very powerful. Plus, the UI is very nice and I like the real-time spectrum analyzer.
That one is very popular indeed. I wish I could buy it for the DSP card, everybody at gearspace talks about it being the top used EQ.

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 36
definitely watch out for a EQ with FIR processing, i think this makes the most difference between EQ`s (IIR vs FIR)

currently i use the Linux Studio Plugins Parametric EQ inside EasyEffects (under linux)

tho i also would like to try fabfilter, it really is the most popular in pro audio, i have to see if its available for linux
(edit: unfortunaly not available natively for linux.. i might have to try the wine vst emulation, i would really like the linear slope eq of fab filter)

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 36
definitely watch out for a EQ with FIR processing, i think this makes the most difference between EQ`s (IIR vs FIR)

currently i use the Linux Studio Plugins Parametric EQ inside EasyEffects (under linux)

tho i also would like to try fabfilter, it really is the most popular in pro audio, i have to see if its available for linux
(edit: unfortunaly not available natively for linux.. i might have to try the wine vst emulation, i would really like the linear slope eq of fab filter)
Now this is interesting I found out the Fab is running on the Pro Tools card, and I have a slot free in my computer. I might look for an old Pro Tools card like I did with UAD-2

UAD-2 makes a world of a difference for me.

The FIR ones you are talking about can they run on DSP?

Jun 7, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #6 of 36
The FIR ones you are talking about can they run on DSP?
fab filter can do this too i think, its called "linear phase"

the one im (and EasyEffects) is using is this one: https://lsp-plug.in/?page=manuals&section=para_equalizer_x32_stereo
its also available as VST2, so it should work

if you try this, you can also compare IIR vs FIR vs FFT vs SPM, they all have a somewhat different sound signature... i first liked SPM the most but i recently switched back to "old good" FIR for linear phase, it has a somewhat more natural tone to it imo, they are all better then IIR what most EQ`s use tho

for most settings of each filter i would use APO(DR) (specially if you import headphone corrections for example, depending on the mode the filter curve is different!)

but if you filter 20-40hz i would use RLC ... the APO curve gets kinda choppy under 40hz

... this lsp-plug EQ is probably one of the most comprehensive free ones i think
para_equalizer_x32_stereo.png

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 12:45 PM Post #8 of 36
Jun 26, 2023 at 5:18 AM Post #10 of 36
The FabFilter is really comprehensive, although I doubt consumers would need many of the features. If you just need 4 - 6 parametric EQ bands (rather than the 24 with FabFilter) plus a couple of filters, Dynamic EQ capability and with a real-time spectrum analyser, TDR Nova is excellent and free!
Now this is interesting I found out the Fab is running on the Pro Tools card, and I have a slot free in my computer.
Why would you want a Pro Tools card and a DSP version, same with the Sonnox EQ, aren’t you just playing back/streaming audio?

G

Jun 26, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #11 of 36
The FabFilter is really comprehensive, although I doubt consumers would need many of the features. If you just need 4 - 6 parametric EQ bands (rather than the 24 with FabFilter) plus a couple of filters, Dynamic EQ capability and with a real-time spectrum analyser, TDR Nova is excellent and free!

Why would you want a Pro Tools card and a DSP version, same with the Sonnox EQ, aren’t you just playing back/streaming audio?

G
Im using the Sonnox(UAD) with jriver with great success.

Pro tools car not interesting anyway as all my pcie slots is used.

So far SONNOX beats everything without altering the sound.

Why DSP?

Because it makes a world of a difference moving all the processing away from CPU…

Its instant

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2023 at 9:07 AM Post #12 of 36
So far SONNOX beats everything without altering the sound.
Sonnox is the same as all other PEQs, with the exception of the modelled vintage EQs.
Why DSP?

Because it makes a world of a difference moving all the processing away from CPU…
Really? I used to be able to run more than 50 of them on a 2008 computer. It only uses a small faction of a modern computer’s CPU.
Its instant
It’s not instant but it would have low latency, which is useful when tracking but you’re not using it for tracking are you?

G

Jun 26, 2023 at 9:19 AM Post #13 of 36
Sonnox is the same as all other PEQs, with the exception of the modelled vintage EQs.

Really? I used to be able to run more than 50 of them on a 2008 computer. It only uses a small faction of a modern computer’s CPU.

It’s not instant but it would have low latency, which is useful when tracking but you’re not using it for tracking are you?

G
I bought a solo only for finetuning EQ to my headphones.

Even with a flat Sonnox/EQ I can hear the “liquid” processing on the card. It sounds better to my ears.

If I were to use it in my DAW/Cubase/Reaper Which I do with native. I have dedicated disk for plugins/recording/samples. That also sounds better than running the plugins straight from system disk.

System disk has only DAW application installed, which I plan to port/nvme disk also.

Jun 26, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #14 of 36
Even with a flat Sonnox/EQ I can hear the “liquid” processing on the card. It sounds better to my ears.
If the EQ is flat then it’s not doing anything and there isn’t any processing on the card (besides just routing the signal). If it is altering the sound in some way, then either a serious bug has been introduced since I used it last or it’s adding noise/distortion to emulate some vintage/analogue EQ.
I have dedicated disk for plugins/recording/samples. That also sounds better than running the plugins straight from system disk.
The plugins are not running from disk, they’re running from RAM! They’re loaded from disk into RAM when you start the host program and then run from RAM when you play audio.

G

Jul 14, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #15 of 36
To me, Fabfilter Pro Q3 is a straight choice when it comes to EQ in general (not only for mastering). "Zero Latency", "Natural Phase" and "Linear Phase" modes make it a comprehensive tool. Moreover, GUI of this plugin is really user-friendly and very intuitive. I've used it for years and couldn't recommend it more.

Craft Ears Stay updated on Craft Ears at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/craftears https://www.instagram.com/craft.ears/ https://www.craftears.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back