best sounding unamped headphone?
Aug 8, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #61 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was about to ask the same question as well...

I was looking into getting the SR60s but the lack of bass shys me away. Ive been reading a lot about the Senn 555s and its got a lil bit of everything I want.

would you guys recommend that for my first pair of "cans"? I listen to RnB mostly but I can go from one genre to another in an hour span i.e. RnB, Rock, Ambient, Norah Jones-type...etc.

let me know.

I really enjoyed my SR60's but, a got a pair of ATH A700's and I personally think they sound a good bit better, better sounding bass and wider sound stage! For your type of music litening I think they would be a great can to go with! And they're not too bad expensive.

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:39 PM Post #62 of 72
.. I guess out of what I have the A700's sound "best"... even though I can drive my 880's without an amp and they sound better, they just don't make it up to a listening level on portable devices!

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #63 of 72
Another vote for MS-1 and I'll also add the Goldring DR-150. Both sound great staight out of my iPod. The DR has more powerfull bass.
Either one is a great option!

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:55 PM Post #64 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by nagal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
.. I guess out of what I have the A700's sound "best"... even though I can drive my 880's without an amp and they sound better, they just don't make it up to a listening level on portable devices!

Why don't you want to buy a small portable amp for your 880s?

Aug 8, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #65 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ergo 2 is the best sounding headphone out of an iPod I've heard, but its not exactly the most portable thing ever.

You could build a DAP AND a head-amp into the headband of the Ergo 2 and you wouldn't even know they were there!
eggosmile.gif

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:11 PM Post #66 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you want to buy a small portable amp for your 880s?

Well, I really don't need portable really. I hardly ever use a portable device and when I do my A700's sound plenty good enough!

Also, there is a thing called money... I have very little of it!
wink.gif
I know most people on here either have plenty of it or they just decided to put up a second morgage on their house to get that last pair of headphones!!! Well, that's not me...
smily_headphones1.gif
Yet, at least!

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #67 of 72
Quote:

Well, I really don't need portable really. I hardly ever use a portable device and when I do my A700's sound plenty good enough!

Also, there is a thing called money... I have very little of it!
wink.gif
I know most people on here either have plenty of it or they just decided to put up a second morgage on their house to get that last pair of headphones!!! Well, that's not me...
smily_headphones1.gif
Yet, at least!

Fair enough, what's your budget?

Aug 8, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #68 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough, what's your budget?

Very low, plus I'm one of those who still isn't totally convenced that the cost of an amp is worth the percent of gain! At least, not when you don't have the money. I know that most headphones sound better amped, it's just that the increase in quailty compaired to the expenditure necessary to achieve said increase does not validate any such purchases for myself anyhow..
wink.gif

I'm perpared to be flogged now!

But, really I'm sure I would buy amps and every Hi-Fi component known to man if I had the money... but, what I have is more than adequate and that's all that matters...

remember, just keep telling yourself "bigger isn't better, bigger isn't better"
At least, if you don't know about "bigger" then your "big" is big enough
wink.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #69 of 72
Quote:

Very low, plus I'm one of those who still isn't totally convenced that the cost of an amp is worth the percent of gain! At least, not when you don't have the money. I know that most headphones sound better amped, it's just that the increase in quailty compaired to the expenditure necessary to achieve said increase does not validate any such purchases for myself anyhow..
wink.gif

I'm perpared to be flogged now!

But, really I'm sure I would buy amps and every Hi-Fi component known to man if I had the money... but, what I have is more than adequate and that's all that matters...

remember, just keep telling yourself "bigger isn't better, bigger isn't better"
At least, if you don't know about "bigger" then your "big" is big enough
wink.gif

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOUR DECISION! You made a wise choice in the 880s and are well set until you have some completely disposable income!

Aug 9, 2007 at 6:12 AM Post #70 of 72
Get ER-4 or livewires (if you want custom IEMs - that means full comfort) if you have no amp...

Aug 9, 2007 at 11:20 AM Post #72 of 72
Audio Technica A900 sound great unamped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back