Best sounding small DAP?
Feb 17, 2024 at 9:27 AM Post #16 of 24
Feb 17, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #17 of 24
Have you considered something like the Sony A306? The Japanese (or non-western) uncapped should have a bit of power, and still be very portable. Also the Hiby M300.
Haven't checked the Sonys too throughly since it seems most of them were older and I wasn't too keen on getting back into their ecosystem and limitations (I used to own Sony this and that).

Hiby M300 is something I've noticed, but from what I've seen so far it isn't anything fantastic sound quality-wise - more of a modern DAP marketed at people who need streaming, etc. (rather than a pure audio device).

Do you have a budget in mind? My recommendation would be to try and find a 1st generation Hiby R5 with the Cirrus Logic dac chips. I can't speak on the new version as I haven't heard it, but I'm also not a fan of ESS chips in lower priced devices. I used my 1st generation for many years (gym dap), and never tired of it. Since I parted ways with it, I've been stuck and sold on Shanling products with AKM chips, and Shanling house tuning. I now use the M6 Ultra in the gym. It's definitely bigger, but still fits in my pants pocket without issue.
Just a suggestion, but it might be helpful for you to determine what type of sound signature you want, and proceed from there.
No budget in mind since prices vary so much (the same DAP can be 1/3 of the cost used) but I don't mind Shanling house sound, I agree their tuning sounds nice (but is not very resolving on small ESS players).

I love my Aune M1p. No Streaming, no EQ, no album art, just pure music.
This would be the one if it didn't look like a brick, haha. From what reviews are seen, it's fantastic for its price sound-wise.

Feb 20, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #18 of 24
The M300 can be a “pure audio device.” Who says you need to stream with it?

Speaking as someone who owns one, it sounds great for what it is. I don’t stream on it. I keep the antennas off.

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #22 of 24
Sorry for hijacking the thread somewhat but am in a similar position. Looking for a small sized DAP or atleast, one that will function well for portable use. Preferably Android based, and 250$ish budget.

The newly announced Hiby R4 looked nice (although a bit bigger than what one would consider portable/small scale, I guess). Does it being a newer product (ie hardware) really mean anything in functionality? I'm mainly looking for a smooth UI experience and hoping that this is even possible at that price range because when I looked into some of the Hiby at 160$, I'd see some comments about the UI being sluggish and such. Is this something I should expect for anything that is not mid to high end? I'm new to this so I'm not sure what is reasonable.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #23 of 24
Sorry for hijacking the thread somewhat but am in a similar position. Looking for a small sized DAP or atleast, one that will function well for portable use. Preferably Android based, and 250$ish budget.

The newly announced Hiby R4 looked nice (although a bit bigger than what one would consider portable/small scale, I guess). Does it being a newer product (ie hardware) really mean anything in functionality? I'm mainly looking for a smooth UI experience and hoping that this is even possible at that price range because when I looked into some of the Hiby at 160$, I'd see some comments about the UI being sluggish and such. Is this something I should expect for anything that is not mid to high end? I'm new to this so I'm not sure what is reasonable.
I don't think the R4 is Android but Hiby OS does work with Qobuz etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back