Best sounding small DAP?
Feb 10, 2024 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Testing456

New Head-Fier
Just curious about people's opinions. My primary source at the moment is a laptop (MacBook Pro) and I've had the chance to try out Shanling M0 Pro. I liked that it was a bit bassier than what I'm used to, but that came with a downgrade to clarity, separation and layering vs. the computer.

Ex: I can clearly hear the decay of drums on some songs on the MacBook, whereas on the M0 Pro they sound audibly fuller but decay much faster and so the full range of sound isn't actually heard.

People have recommended Hiby R3 II, but from what I've read it uses the same DAC/SOC as Shanling so I'm not sure if there would be any big difference there. Many have remarked that it's more neutral sounding, but neutral on its own without also better clarity/separation isn't what I'm looking for (I'd have an easier time with warmer sound because I use already bright IEMs).

Then there's Tempotec V3; I dislike its form factor but it does have a different DAC configuration to the other two.

Any well-resolving smaller DAPs out there?

Or if not, what price bracket to look at to get a decently resolving, clear DAP that can make the best of good resolution, bright IEMs without going overboard with more treble?

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #2 of 24
Well, I liked the Hiby R5G2 but kept my Sony A307 (A306). Android OS in Hiby a bit too old but sounds great.

Sony a great size, Android 13 now and great battery life with WiFi off for offline streaming music use or your own files in Sony Music app. Sounds great too, but my Fiio BTR7 has the edge for me purely on sound but its not a DAP (BT DAC/AMP).

As a small all in one Android DAP its best for me. Go larger, heavier, more expensive then you get that bit better sound.

Sony not great if you use many demanding headphones, but perfect for use with IEM's unless you must have balanced output.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2024 at 9:57 PM Post #3 of 24
Get the Hiby RS2! I've been A-Bing with the DX320 and it completes when it comes to details with IEMs. It probably does not have enough juice for big cans, but an amplifier will solve that lol

Feb 13, 2024 at 4:44 AM Post #4 of 24
Well, I liked the Hiby R5G2 but kept my Sony A307 (A306). Android OS in Hiby a bit too old but sounds great.

Sony a great size, Android 13 now and great battery life with WiFi off for offline streaming music use or your own files in Sony Music app. Sounds great too, but my Fiio BTR7 has the edge for me purely on sound but its not a DAP (BT DAC/AMP).

As a small all in one Android DAP its best for me. Go larger, heavier, more expensive then you get that bit better sound.

Sony not great if you use many demanding headphones, but perfect for use with IEM's unless you must have balanced output.
R5G2 also uses dual 9219Cs though - wouldn't that sound quite similar to R3 II or M0 Pro which share the same DACs?

Get the Hiby RS2! I've been A-Bing with the DX320 and it completes when it comes to details with IEMs. It probably does not have enough juice for big cans, but an amplifier will solve that lol
This one looked promising... Until I saw the size/thickness. A bit too much of a brick for me, haha, I guess I'll have to wait until they upgrade the sound on R3 II or something.

Feb 13, 2024 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 24
This one looked promising... Until I saw the size/thickness. A bit too much of a brick for me, haha, I guess I'll have to wait until they upgrade the sound on R3 II or something.

Yes it's about the same dimensions of the R3 2022. Just thicker. Still very pocketable though.
1000020119.jpg

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 24
R5G2 also uses dual 9219Cs though - wouldn't that sound quite similar to R3 II or M0 Pro which share the same DACs?

DAC is only one part, you have to consider the whole and then tuning on top of that.

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 24
A refurbished Gen 5 iPod Classic with an new battery and 512 GBs of micro SD card storage might suit you very well, being that you are a Mac user.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 24
A refurbished Gen 5 iPod Classic with an new battery and 512 GBs of micro SD card storage might suit you very well, being that you are a Mac user.
Add Rockbox so you can listen to flac files (and avoid iTunes) and you're golden! :ksc75smile:

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:54 PM Post #9 of 24
Just curious about people's opinions. My primary source at the moment is a laptop (MacBook Pro) and I've had the chance to try out Shanling M0 Pro. I liked that it was a bit bassier than what I'm used to, but that came with a downgrade to clarity, separation and layering vs. the computer.

Ex: I can clearly hear the decay of drums on some songs on the MacBook, whereas on the M0 Pro they sound audibly fuller but decay much faster and so the full range of sound isn't actually heard.

People have recommended Hiby R3 II, but from what I've read it uses the same DAC/SOC as Shanling so I'm not sure if there would be any big difference there. Many have remarked that it's more neutral sounding, but neutral on its own without also better clarity/separation isn't what I'm looking for (I'd have an easier time with warmer sound because I use already bright IEMs).

Then there's Tempotec V3; I dislike its form factor but it does have a different DAC configuration to the other two.

Any well-resolving smaller DAPs out there?

Or if not, what price bracket to look at to get a decently resolving, clear DAP that can make the best of good resolution, bright IEMs without going overboard with more treble?
I have both the Tempotec V3 and the Hiby R3II. They are basically the same...and they are nothing to write home about, although adequate. If size isn't a factor, I would go a step up to the Tempotec V6 (which I also have). That one sounds really good.

Feb 14, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 24
Yes it's about the same dimensions of the R3 2022. Just thicker. Still very pocketable though.
Thank you for the suggestion, it's also one of the DAPs I've been eyeing (RS2, Shanling M3 Ultra and iBasso DX170).

DAC is only one part, you have to consider the whole and then tuning on top of that.
Completely correct, true. Plus amps and other components differ too.
Thank you for the suggestion but I'd rather avoid further Apple stuff. They're not the best quality for audio to begin with, and I do have enough Apple stuff overall that I don't really have to get even more and tie myself down to subpar audio for the sake of the ecosystem - but thank you nonetheless, I totally get where you're coming from.

I have both the Tempotec V3 and the Hiby R3II. They are basically the same...and they are nothing to write home about, although adequate. If size isn't a factor, I would go a step up to the Tempotec V6 (which I also have). That one sounds really good.
I was checking Hiby RS2, Shanling M3 Ultra and iBasso DX170, lately at least. I'm not sure how Tempotec V6 compares, other than the fact that I'm not a huge fan of the form factor (but okay, form is not why we buy these things).

Feb 14, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 24
The dac chips are only a small part of the larger picture. Two separate daps can implement the same chips, yet sound quite different. Also, there's a big difference between downloads and file types. If not listening to better format, it's not going to make much difference anyways. You won't find world differences between small, lesser expensive devices.

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 24
The dac chips are only a small part of the larger picture. Two separate daps can implement the same chips, yet sound quite different. Also, there's a big difference between downloads and file types. If not listening to better format, it's not going to make much difference anyways. You won't find world differences between small, lesser expensive devices.
Regarding file formats, I didn't touch on it specifically because I assumed we all listen to at least nice FLAC files - so that's not so much of an issue.

True, regarding the chips, yes; same things can sound quite different as I've found out in the meantime (particularly when there's an amp in the mix in some cases like for example on Shanling M1s or M3 Ultra vs. the M0 Pro or R3 II which don't have it).

Still undecided in the end... Hopefully they miniaturise DX170/M3U/RS2 tech a bit eventually and stick it into $300-500 small DAPs, LOL.

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #13 of 24
Regarding file formats, I didn't touch on it specifically because I assumed we all listen to at least nice FLAC files - so that's not so much of an issue.

True, regarding the chips, yes; same things can sound quite different as I've found out in the meantime (particularly when there's an amp in the mix in some cases like for example on Shanling M1s or M3 Ultra vs. the M0 Pro or R3 II which don't have it).

Still undecided in the end... Hopefully they miniaturise DX170/M3U/RS2 tech a bit eventually and stick it into $300-500 small DAPs, LOL.
Have you considered something like the Sony A306? The Japanese (or non-western) uncapped should have a bit of power, and still be very portable. Also the Hiby M300.

Feb 16, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #14 of 24

Do you have a budget in mind? My recommendation would be to try and find a 1st generation Hiby R5 with the Cirrus Logic dac chips. I can't speak on the new version as I haven't heard it, but I'm also not a fan of ESS chips in lower priced devices. I used my 1st generation for many years (gym dap), and never tired of it. Since I parted ways with it, I've been stuck and sold on Shanling products with AKM chips, and Shanling house tuning. I now use the M6 Ultra in the gym. It's definitely bigger, but still fits in my pants pocket without issue.
Just a suggestion, but it might be helpful for you to determine what type of sound signature you want, and proceed from there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back