Best sounding portable closed back cans?
Jul 1, 2011 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

JBThazard

Head-Fier
Unfortunately for you guys, I have somewhat specific demands, and I apologize for this.

I use a 160gb Ipod and the Electric Avenues PA2V2 amp (the guy who makes these lives in the same city as myself!) and I listen to music outside very often, and always as I'm commuting to university. I've seen a lot of great phones I'd like to add to my collection someday, but for now, I want a pair that is good for extensive use, closed back design and preferably (though not essential) has not too long a cable length, is comfy and durable.

I don't listen to a lot of genres, but the ones I listen to most are varied amongst themselves: extreme metal, progressive rock, acoustic folk, most styles of jazz, ambiance, and classical are the most sounds I wish to bring out in headphones. I listen to a little bit of hip-hop but it's not important. 

Just today I ordered the Koss PortaPros since they're supposed to be THE best for their price range, plus I wouldn't mind spending 60 bucks on them now and upgrading to a high-end expensive model later on. The can I'm searching for here is something I'd purchase within the next 4-8 weeks.

There are a variety of cans I have really good impressions of, including the AKG k701, the Sennheiser HD595 and the Grado SR-80. While I would love to own one or all of them someday (and I probably will), they are all open cans and leak a lot of sound, and as I mentioned closed back is most essential to me right now.

The number one headphone I'm considering now is the Audio Technica, though I can't decide between the M50 and the A900.

No matter what I will be using amplification through the PA2V2 since I've been acquiring a lot of my favorite albums in lossless formats and DVD-A, but if you have good reasons for not amping up certain cans, please include them.

Preferable price range is 200-400 dollars Canadian.

Jul 1, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 8
What about the Klipsch Image One? Those are closed and fold up nicely. They are supposed to sound pretty decent, although I can't confirm that. As a plus, I think either Future Shop or Best Buy sells them

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 8
What about the Sennheiser HD25-1? It seems to meet a lot of the requirements I want. How does it compare with the ATH A900?

Jul 1, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #4 of 8
The Beyerdynamic DT770 also seems like a worthy choice.

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 8
You should check out the new Beyer DT1350.  I love mine.  I don't have any other closed portables to compare them to but they easily compete with full size 'phones in the same price range that I've owned.

Jul 2, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #8 of 8
My two choices are already listed here - HD25-1 II or the Beyer DT1350.  I owned both at the same time and kept the beyers.  Had I been using them outside, on a college campus, I probably would have kept the HD25's, as they are more incognito, and do sound great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back