Best sounding MP3-player
Mar 19, 2006 at 2:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 143

SgtE

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Posts
120
Likes
0
Which MP3-player has the best sound quality? Monolith? Which MP3-player to choose if I want a MP3-player that can drive heaphones with high resistance (shure e500)?

Ipod fans please don't bother posting! Looking for quality sound here!
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 143

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Moderator
Joined
Jun 26, 2001
Posts
13,260
Likes
1,571
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtE
Ipod fans please don't bother posting! Looking for quality sound here!


Thats a bit of a narrow viewpoint...

A while back it could be argued, but these days everything is basically so similar that you would be better looking for other factors such as hard drive / flash size or battery life or otherwise...
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 143

eglivincent

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Posts
22
Likes
10
I understand the...'don't come back with Ipod Rules menatlity' but I got to tell you I recently got a 60g video and that thing is very good. It doesn't sound anything at all like my old Ipod. Matter of fact I'm upgrading my little CMoy amp just because it really doesn't make an effective difference enough to justify packing around two little cubes.
I'm not a fan of Apple and their cocky attitudes but right now with the exception of the Xen Vision:M no one is giving them a run for their money. Today its about storage space more than anything. Look at the Nano series for instance, bigger storage than anyone else in a very small and stylish package. Even if a competitor comes out with a cloan for $50 less Apple unfortunately won't loose much market share.
Apple has had many years to build their brand and to most consumers that represents a 'High Tech, funky lifestyle' that everyone wants.
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #4 of 143

krmathis

Head-Fi's Most Prolific Poster
Joined
Jan 13, 2004
Posts
34,764
Likes
76
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtE
Ipod fans please don't bother posting! Looking for quality sound here!


So you mean the Apple iPod dont produce quality sound?
confused.gif

Then tell me why they are among the most popular players around here!
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #5 of 143

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Posts
3,386
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtE
Which MP3-player has the best sound quality? Monolith? Which MP3-player to choose if I want a MP3-player that can drive heaphones with high resistance (shure e500)?

Ipod fans please don't bother posting! Looking for quality sound here!



I am a 5G owner, and haven't tried any real phones out with them yet, but I can seriously tell you even though the top audio port is not very popular, a lot of people use the dock connector. At the same time, your forgetting that the 5th gen plays AIFF (I believe that's it's name) which is apple lossless. Your rude to think that iPods don't create quality sound.
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 3:20 PM Post #6 of 143

Razoramus

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 20, 2006
Posts
342
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtE
Which MP3-player has the best sound quality? Monolith? Which MP3-player to choose if I want a MP3-player that can drive heaphones with high resistance (shure e500)?

Ipod fans please don't bother posting! Looking for quality sound here!



you're just trying to be different!
tongue.gif
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 3:41 PM Post #7 of 143

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Posts
10,275
Likes
30
I very much doubt beyond placebo that you'd be able to make out any significant differences between the current leading players at the moment... including the 5G iPod.


If you choose not to have an iPod, the iAudio X5 and the Creative Zen Vision:M are equivalent choices for sound quality, although IMO inferior for usability.


It's telling to see the anti-iPodders making an almighty fuss about the Vision M, the most iPod-like of all the DAPs out there
wink.gif
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 143

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Posts
3,386
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
I very much doubt beyond placebo that you'd be able to make out any significant differences between the current leading players at the moment... including the 5G iPod.


If you choose not to have an iPod, the iAudio X5 and the Creative Zen Vision:M are equivalent choices for sound quality, although IMO inferior for usability.


It's telling to see the anti-iPodders making an almighty fuss about the Vision M, the most iPod-like of all the DAPs out there
wink.gif



An iPod with the right amp + headphones and AIFF lossless, should be able to burn any other player, shouldn't it?
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #9 of 143

SgtE

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 12, 2006
Posts
120
Likes
0
Lol, I askted NOT to get stormed by ipod fanboys and thats all I get =)

Seriously, I have listened to the newest ipods. I have also compared them to eg. Monolith and quite frankly, ipod if left in the dust even before the music signal is sent to my ears...
What i am trying to say is - I KNOW Monolith (for exampel) has WAY better sound quality than ipod, I am just wondering if there is something better. That is why I said "ipod fans don't bother posting".

So does anyone know?

Do anyonw know if there is any different between Monolith and Meizu's new line with philips nexperia 0102 dac? Sound wise that is...
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 8:36 PM Post #10 of 143

MD1032

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Aug 10, 2003
Posts
5,977
Likes
20
I know the Creative Zen Xtra's are said to have good sound quality, but then again they're older, and they're like bricks.
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 143

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 3, 2002
Posts
10,275
Likes
30
If you're referring to the Monolith Premium, then it's a good player but not a standout. The specs flashed around for it which lead the uninformed to assume it's better is actually common to quite a number of HDD players these days including the iPod.


I refer you to my non-iPod recommendations. They don't have better sound quality than the iPod, and neither does the Monolith, but the X5 would have the more interesting sound-shaping options that I suspect you will like. It has a major bass boost facility, as well as various DSP tricks to make the sound more pleasant. If I read you correctly, you will probably feel that the X5 has the "best sound". Turn the BBE to max, crank up the Mach3bass and hear the 'quality'...
 
Mar 19, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #13 of 143

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Posts
3,386
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtE
Lol, I askted NOT to get stormed by ipod fanboys and thats all I get =)

Seriously, I have listened to the newest ipods. I have also compared them to eg. Monolith and quite frankly, ipod if left in the dust even before the music signal is sent to my ears...
What i am trying to say is - I KNOW Monolith (for exampel) has WAY better sound quality than ipod, I am just wondering if there is something better. That is why I said "ipod fans don't bother posting".

So does anyone know?

Do anyonw know if there is any different between Monolith and Meizu's new line with philips nexperia 0102 dac? Sound wise that is...



I hate to be rude or even continue this, but how did you compare the setups? When you tried the iPod, what was the setup? When you tried the Monolith what was the setup? I find it really amusing that you heard such a big difference, I agree compeletely with the above poster.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top